By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will Mario Galaxy outsell Halo 3?

lol,

back in early Nov when everyone was doom and gloom for SMG sales I said that it would pass Halo, and I talked about Mario's natural legs, some believed others flamed... same old story.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

Around the Network

BottledSpringWater said:
Pretty sad on Halo 3's part since it was the most advertised game! It even had it's own flavour which I admit tried... and liked...

I question the need for such a huge marketing campaign. The media was going to do all of it for MS themselves. Just look at all the free time Iphone got. Multiply that by 10 and you get Halo in America.

Yes, mario will outsell Halo 3 since it appeals to all territories and it isn't rated M. (yes, ratings do matter)

twesterm said:
It will...eventually. Halo 3 doesn't have legs (it will go unnoticed in 3 months sales wise) but Mario galaxy will continue for a very long time.

After all, if Mario Party 8 can stay in the charts as long as it has and New Super Mario Bros was up there forever, how long do you think Super Mario Galaxy will stay up there?

I've got to disagree with your first point. Halo 2 kept selling for years, even long after the box was abandoned by Microsoft. Halo 3 be doing quite well for a long long time.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

SMG will be the Wii's best selling title as it will always be picked up by new owners and it'll have longer legs than a supermodel on stilts.

I reckon it'll overtake it in Holiday season 08 

Those people that think they're perfect give a bad reputation to us who are... 

"With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen, but I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that." - Phil Harrison, Sony

Killy_Blame said:
Lets up the Ante

Who thinks SMG can top Halo 3's attach ratio?

Remember, every Wii sold (and every 360 not sold) makes it a little bit harder.

I for one think this will never happen, unless Nintendo starts bundling SMG

Yeah, it would require a bundle.

The only game I've seen with a better attach rate than Halo 3 in NA, is Wii Sports in Japan. 

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

Yes, SMG will outsell Halo 3, but it will take time and SMG will have nice legs through out 08'.

Halo 3 has only one weakness in sales. And that's Japan.

My Mains in Brawl

everyonehatesamerica said:
MG has been on the top of the charts week after week for over a month now surpassing 4.1 mil this week with sales above 300 grand per week. Will the momentum remain for another 2 million more at which point MG will have surpassed Halo 3 total sales?

Yes, and this has been obvious for more than a month now.   A few weeks ago someone made a thread exclaiming that the gap between Halo 3 and Super Mario Galaxy was cut down to 3 million units.  Next week, it will be significantly less than a 2 million unit gap.   SMG will likely be ahead of Halo 3 by July and it will never look back.

It's only a matter of time, SMG will have lifetime sales of 15 million plus. Halo3 will be just shy of 10 million at the best scenario.

I predict SMG will pass Halo3 over 3 months, perhaps sooner. Mark my words

Everyone that wanted Halo 3 has already gotten it. SMG will sell forever. Mario will whoop Master Chief and any other competitor as long as he's starring in halfway decent games. SMG is a lot better than halway decent. Sonic was going to take Mario down too because he was marketed as cooler. Does anyone remember that? Mario doesnt need to be cool. His games are.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

amp316 said:
Everyone that wanted Halo 3 has already gotten it. SMG will sell forever. Mario will whoop Master Chief and any other competitor as long as he's starring in halfway decent games. SMG is a lot better than halway decent. Sonic was going to take Mario down too because he was marketed as cooler. Does anyone remember that? Mario doesnt need to be cool. His games are.

I don't think that's the case, since I doubt the people who buy a 360 in '08 have already bought Halo 3. :P I agree with Stof that Halo will have some decent legs, even though its sales are extremely front-loaded.

SMG has two major advantages over Halo 3. The first is that its potential market is growing much faster than Halo's. The second is that it has very little competition in its genre on any platform, let alone the Wii. Halo is up against an endless parade of shooters with better single-player experiences and very competitive multiplayer experiences. Competition to appease this market on the 360 is already fierce, and it gets tougher every month.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.