By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Worldwide sales decreasing - Microsoft must react NOW!!!!

MS/xbox360 is still a one-hit-wonder, more or less. The (exclusive) big hits on on xbox are all based on the same formula (halo, mass effect), and that formula is running out of steam. "Done that been there - boring"

PS3 has a lot more potential and width in excellent game play (ratched, uncharted, unreal) and you get a lot more bang for a buck from a PS3 (blu-ray, free online). Xbox360 is a lost case already, as well as HD DVD, which is only suppported by MS to make that market confused, so their online sales should have a better chance.

Lost my faith in VGChartz. Too many stupid and ignorant Americans, even as moderators.

It's a shame, really. "The Boss" should do something radical about this Americanization, but it seems hardly feasible, so my days here are numbered.

Around the Network

""""That s a state of emergency: in Europe, the PS3 is taking the lead over the Xbox360 for 2 big reasons : the price felt down very fast, and the BD player is actually considered as a great asset. """"

==> sorry Lampion, the HD media is nothing in PAL
I higly doubt it is the main reason WHY people buy a PS3 over an Xbox360

I dont see the point to introduce an new HD-DVD console (in september 2008 !!!! so late !) since we know the HD DVD in the shit !

Time to Work !

Sorry pal, but I ve seen a european survey that clearly indicated the interest of people for the BD player included in the PS3 systems!

That s a fact!

And the ads in the TV channels for the BD format are solid and agressive here!

European people are looking for HD players and Sony with BD in its PS3 would take the lead!

It s hard time for MS to refresh the X360, (as PSP and DS did) with HD-DVD inside! Or SONY will win both vg markets in the long run and moreover, the HD market!!

it's definitely game over for MS and xbox360 now that Warner went blu-ray:

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/843/843627p1.html

I'm almost sorry for all xbox360 owners. I'm selling mine!

Lost my faith in VGChartz. Too many stupid and ignorant Americans, even as moderators.

It's a shame, really. "The Boss" should do something radical about this Americanization, but it seems hardly feasible, so my days here are numbered.

What you're saying is right, original poster. But I wonder why you're so god damn enthusiastic and emotional about Microsoft, as if they're a deserving, underdog company. For God's sake man, this is Microsoft. I think they know what their strategy is!!

Around the Network

I am sorry but the (bad) trend, all over europe, won t change if MS doesnt change its strategy in here.

Today, we can consider the HD-DVD format as almost dead (cf. Warner corp decision). So, BD or HD-DVD inside... who knows? But MS must cut their prices or include a HD player inside.

BD format is winning because of the fact that PS3 included a HD format! It s usefull for movies but it s usefull for games editors. Here consumers buy PS3 because it offers now the same games list as for the X360, including a HD player. Good deal! Therefore can we see this new wave!

Most PS3 owners don't even know it has BD and even many of those use PS3 only for games. At least according to survey made by NPD group only 40% of PS3 owners know about BD (although survey is a bit old). And it is possible that are even more people are unaware of BD in Europe. And most PS3 owners don't use PS3 for movies anyway. So I doubt BD or HD DVD are as important in Europe as you think.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070809-report-gamers-largely-clueless-about-next-gen-console-media-capabilities.html

Also, only few PS2 owners know PS2 can play DVD's.

I entirely disagree with you Pal. The brand BD doesnt mean clearly something BUT Consumers knows this console can play HD movies and is a great gate to the HD universe! for sure! In many electronic shopping malls is clearly mentioned as a HD player! And this is a good point for the machine. With the latest price cuts, it s almost a bargain price in fact!

At the same time, MS isn t positoned in the HD market! The console is even EXPENSIVE for a DVD player she s included! And according to our European market, Xbox 360 is really an exensive product with expensive DVD games (70euros each!!!). Morever, this area was badly touched by the ROD problems!

On an important note: MS don't give a shit about the format wars... They'd prefer to see both burn.
On a different note: There is no ailment for the 360's sickness, people in Japan and Europe simply do not want it because it's a 360 and/or because it's an MS product.
MS knew they were betting way too hard on living on the NA market, and now they have to suffer the consequences that have been long in the coming.

M$ simply needs a major price cut. If they are profitable at the current price levels, there is no reason they shouldn't cut $100 across all models. They came into this expecting to lose money on console sales to get market share. It seems they reversed course at some point, which is a bad idea.

A $250 premium would kill the PS3, at least in NA and Europe. This would then cause Nintendo to drop the Wii price also, further hurting PS3 sales.