By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If you want one of the big 3 to go the way of Sega, or want your preferred company to monopolize...

Because of the lack of console competition more people would be forced to plug their controllers into their PC where real competition and creativity thrives and anyone who can program can get his hat in the ring and possibly hit it big? (ie: Minecraft/Terraria)  Rather then deal with monopolistic practices that honestly should probably be illegal. (Lisensing fees.)

All I got.

Around the Network
Xen said:
sales2099 said:
Well I am a supporter of Nintendo handhelds and Microsoft consoles so naturally I would pick Sony but there is a reason.

With the PS1, it choked the life and potential out of the Sega Saturn and N64. The PS2 did this even worse, creating a monopoly that made it near impossible for competition to thrive. Sega quit. Nintendo was forced to take a drastic route and go the Wii route. Microsoft was convinced that the only way to avoid a repeat was to launch before the PS3, even if the hardware wasn't ready.

I am a firm believer in Sony killing competition. Only with Nintendo and Microsoft taking drastic actions this gen has caused Sony to drop to last place and actually create balance and equal potential/room to grow in the industry.

On top of that, Sony has no flagship franchises on the level of Mario and Halo. Come to think of it Sony has no mascot, just a bunch of diverse (yet lacking in any meaningful sales) exclusive IPs.

Nintendo rules the casual console market and the handheld one. Microsoft rules the core console market. PC gamers still get their PCs.

Aaaaaaaaaand the award for the most ignorant post of 2011 goes to sales2099! CONGRATULATIONS!

SEGA killed SEGA. The Saturn was a bitch to program for (and had a botched launch WITH a $400 pricetag) and released after two R&D and sales tragedies, SegaCD and 32x, Nintendo released very late, used expensive carts, and because of the storage limitations along with the company's constant intrusions in game development (see Duke Nukem 3D N64 vs PC for a great example), the N64 wasn't as big as it could've been. The PS1 was easy to program for, cheap to release games for, and Sony didn't intrude in your business. As a result, the Dreamcast came with a very weak and crippled SEGA backing it up, and Nintendo had their brand name annihilated. The PS1 was so varied, cheap, and appealing, that Sony went into the 6th gen with enormous hype. And much like Nintendo this gen. the PS1 opened up a whole new demographic. Market killers I tell you! KILLERS!

This gen, Sony killed their own lead with an expensive PS3 with very few games. If you think that it was MS, then... well... that's pretty funny. The 360 being the second HD console effectively saved the PS3 by giving it a constant porting effort with popular games like COD and GTAIV. Sony lacking meaningful sales in their IP's? See the sales of God of War III or GT5 then get back to me. Microsoft rules the core market? This isn't 2007-8 anymore.

If ignorance were a bannable offence, you'd be permanently banned in a second.

Competition is good for everyone, all three should stay.

You explained how PS1 dominated but you didnt touch on at all the monopoly that was the PS2 and how it effectively choked the life out of the competition.

Gamecube and xbox were both quality machines and did not deserve to sell less then 25 million a piece where PS2 sold over 120 million. There is no excuse for that gen. Sony killed competition, which did lead Nintendo to go the motion gaming route to get market share back. Microsoft had to launch early. This was all because of Sony. 

GT5 comes out every 5 years (not exactly flagship worthy if it takes THAT long) and isnt a mascot type of game. GOW sells pitiful compared to Mario and Halo, nice try. 

Competition is amazing, no argument there, but its only attainable with Sony in either last place or out all together

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
Xen said:
sales2099 said:
Well I am a supporter of Nintendo handhelds and Microsoft consoles so naturally I would pick Sony but there is a reason.

With the PS1, it choked the life and potential out of the Sega Saturn and N64. The PS2 did this even worse, creating a monopoly that made it near impossible for competition to thrive. Sega quit. Nintendo was forced to take a drastic route and go the Wii route. Microsoft was convinced that the only way to avoid a repeat was to launch before the PS3, even if the hardware wasn't ready.

I am a firm believer in Sony killing competition. Only with Nintendo and Microsoft taking drastic actions this gen has caused Sony to drop to last place and actually create balance and equal potential/room to grow in the industry.

On top of that, Sony has no flagship franchises on the level of Mario and Halo. Come to think of it Sony has no mascot, just a bunch of diverse (yet lacking in any meaningful sales) exclusive IPs.

Nintendo rules the casual console market and the handheld one. Microsoft rules the core console market. PC gamers still get their PCs.

Aaaaaaaaaand the award for the most ignorant post of 2011 goes to sales2099! CONGRATULATIONS!

SEGA killed SEGA. The Saturn was a bitch to program for (and had a botched launch WITH a $400 pricetag) and released after two R&D and sales tragedies, SegaCD and 32x, Nintendo released very late, used expensive carts, and because of the storage limitations along with the company's constant intrusions in game development (see Duke Nukem 3D N64 vs PC for a great example), the N64 wasn't as big as it could've been. The PS1 was easy to program for, cheap to release games for, and Sony didn't intrude in your business. As a result, the Dreamcast came with a very weak and crippled SEGA backing it up, and Nintendo had their brand name annihilated. The PS1 was so varied, cheap, and appealing, that Sony went into the 6th gen with enormous hype. And much like Nintendo this gen. the PS1 opened up a whole new demographic. Market killers I tell you! KILLERS!

This gen, Sony killed their own lead with an expensive PS3 with very few games. If you think that it was MS, then... well... that's pretty funny. The 360 being the second HD console effectively saved the PS3 by giving it a constant porting effort with popular games like COD and GTAIV. Sony lacking meaningful sales in their IP's? See the sales of God of War III or GT5 then get back to me. Microsoft rules the core market? This isn't 2007-8 anymore.

You explained how PS1 dominated but you didnt touch on at all the monopoly that was the PS2 and how it effectively choked the life out of the competition.

Gamecube and xbox were both quality machines and did not deserve to sell less then 25 million a piece where PS2 sold over 120 million. There is no excuse for that gen. Sony killed competition, which did lead Nintendo to go the motion gaming route to get market share back. Microsoft had to launch early. This was all because of Sony.

GT5 comes out every 5 years (not exactly flagship worthy if it takes THAT long) and isnt a mascot type of game. GOW sells pitiful compared to Mario and Halo, nice try.

Competition is amazing, no argument there, but its only attainable with Sony in either last place or out all together

Way to ignore everything but the unmentioned and still be arrogant as hell. Nice.

The PS2 does not need to be touched upon. The general concensus in the gaming community is that it's one of the most amazing consoles  ever - its success is no small part because its competition sucked, hard. The Xbox lacked any Japanese support and had to build a whole new brand name for itself while lacking PS1's perfect storm of 3rd parties only looking for an excuse to break off of Nintendo and cheap development. The Gamecube had a terrible kiddy, less powerful than PS2, and uncool image. Mostly thanks to its own design and game selection (the problem still persists today).

It just hit me: I can't believe that a Microsoft fanboy is trying to school anyone about monopolies and uncompetetive practices. Whatever means Sony used to attain their market control, they were nothing like how Microsoft behaved in their prime. My reply, even to me, comes off kinda lazy. But I don't really care, there's zero reasoning here when you're not even willing to admit your mistakes.

Xen said:
sales2099 said:
Xen said:
sales2099 said:

Way to ignore everything but the unmentioned and still be arrogant as hell. Nice.

The PS2 does not need to be touched upon. The general concensus in the gaming community is that it's one of the most amazing consoles  ever - its success is no small part because its competition sucked, hard. The Xbox lacked any Japanese support and had to build a whole new brand name for itself while lacking PS1's perfect storm of 3rd parties only looking for an excuse to break off of Nintendo and cheap development. The Gamecube had a terrible kiddy, less powerful than PS2, and uncool image. Mostly thanks to its own design and game selection (the problem still persists today).

It just hit me: I can't believe that a Microsoft fanboy is trying to school anyone about monopolies and uncompetetive practices. Whatever means Sony used to attain their market control, they were nothing like how Microsoft behaved in their prime. My reply, even to me, comes off kinda lazy. But I don't really care, there's zero reasoning here when you're not even willing to admit your mistakes.

Wel honestly, Sony didnt really choke competition until PS2 and I do agree about PS1s competition actually sucking. 

But Gamecube was actually more powerful then PS2 and easier to develop for, do your homework. Xbox had a hard drive, more reliable (ironic right), pioneered a decent console online network, and had superior graphics then PS2. Never mind Japan....PS2 choked the potential out of xbox to grow in Europe and especially North America. People remember the PS2 as an amazing console and rightly so....yet theres also people who remember just how much Nintendo and Microsoft struggled that gen when their consoles were actually worthy competitors. 

All I know is that with Sony in a well overdue last place position......Nintendo and Microsoft are thriving. Nintendo capitalized on the Nintendo core and especially the casuals, yet didnt pull a PS2 and choke out Microsoft, which is enjoying much improved success over last gen. PS3 offcourse is a massive failure compared to PS1 and PS2 but at least its getting by and improving year over year.

This gen, everybodies more or less equal, unlike when Sony was #1. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

RolStoppable said:
oniyide said:

64DD, ill concede to that point, about them just not liking CDs. 

Online, Iwata never said our customers dont care about online? Customers do not want online games, thats what was said in Feb 2005 im staring at the damn  GI magazine as i type it. That same year xbox 360 was released, and we all know how their online went. Lets keep it real, Iwata was wrong, the 2004 statement was made a year prior to the 360 releasing, the man thought that online would not take off as it did, he was wrong. Do you honestly believe he was referring to GC in 2004?? That system was already on its way out, Iwata thought the online would be a fad other wise he would have made damn sure the WiiWare didnt suck as bad as it does

Iwata did not say that online will go away (as you claimed in your previous post), because that would have been in direct contradiction with saying that Nintendo doesn't rule it out to use online features in the future (refering to their next generation systems). Here is the link again. This is from July 2004 and if you care to read it this time you'll notice that the article states that this particular quote of Iwata is an often repeated one, meaning that he was saying the same thing at least since another few months. It always was about the Gamecube's lack of online games (aside from Sega's Phantasy Star Online).

The Gamecube wasn't on its way out in 2004. Nintendo's fall lineup consisted of Metroid Prime 2, Paper Mario 2, Pikmin 2 and Tales of Symphonia which they localized and published. They also officially announced a new Zelda game that year, planned to release in 2005. Not to mention that the Wii launched in November 2006. So much for that.

It really seems like you have no clear idea of what Iwata was talking about. He spoke of online enabled games and not games you buy online (which is what the Virtual Console and WiiWare service is). Lastly, investments in online gaming cooled down in the sixth generation quite quickly. Remember the time we are talking about here. In 2002/03 online gaming was supposed to become a really big thing, that's why Nintendo was constantly asked where their online games are. Microsoft had launched the Xbox Live service, Sony was bringing games like Socom and Everquest to the PS2, Square-Enix released Final Fantasy XI and Capcom tried with Resident Evil: Outbreak. None of that took off despite there being an actual push which is why you didn't see more focus on online gaming on the PS2 from early 2005 onwards, because the vast majority of hit games did well without any sort of online functionality.

enthusiam did not cool, online funtioning games kept coming out on Xbox, as well as PS2 even though on a much smaller scale. What year did they cool off?? 2005??? Please, did you ever consider that maybe they were gearing up for the release of their next gen consoles that did go full force with onling gaming? Iwata said, that enthusiam for online gaming will wear off, it did not it has only gotten bigger, he was wrong, now Ninty has to play catch up

Around the Network

@sales2099 oh man your hatred for Sony knows no bounds, at least try to make some sense. PS2 choked the other two's potential? no crap, sherlock. It came out a whole year before the other two, was cheaper and had a DVD drive. Not to mention it had more games. Your mad at Sony for doing everything right with PS2?? That makes no damn sense. I love the GC, but lets be real here, no one really took that damn thing serious. Xbox, Japan.
Everyone is equal this gen, ok so what?? All that means is SOny did alot wrong and the others did better, but still not PS2 good. The Wii doesnt dominate like PS2 did, because the 3rd party games suck, hard. Let me put it this way. YOu got PS2, the cheapest one around, but it doesnt matter because they can still play the games the other ones have because its not that weaker, plus all the exclusives. Now we have Wii hell of alot cheaper, but it isnt nearly as strong so it gets crap multiplat versions of good HD games and sometimes no versions at all. and some wonder why their market share never went past 50%

sales2099 said:
Xen said:
sales2099 said:
Xen said:
sales2099 said:

Wel honestly, Sony didnt really choke competition until PS2 and I do agree about PS1s competition actually sucking.

But Gamecube was actually more powerful then PS2 and easier to develop for, do your homework. Xbox had a hard drive, more reliable (ironic right), pioneered a decent console online network, and had superior graphics then PS2. Never mind Japan....PS2 choked the potential out of xbox to grow in Europe and especially North America. People remember the PS2 as an amazing console and rightly so....yet theres also people who remember just how much Nintendo and Microsoft struggled that gen when their consoles were actually worthy competitors.

All I know is that with Sony in a well overdue last place position......Nintendo and Microsoft are thriving. Nintendo capitalized on the Nintendo core and especially the casuals, yet didnt pull a PS2 and choke out Microsoft, which is enjoying much improved success over last gen. PS3 offcourse is a massive failure compared to PS1 and PS2 but at least its getting by and improving year over year.

I wasn't gonna reply, but since this is just twisting my words into a bowtie, I can't refrain.

First of all, reading comprehension please:  The Gamecube had a terrible kiddy, less powerful than PS2, and uncool image. Bolded and italicised so it's easier to comprehend. In Europe, the Xbox launched to a very high price (quickly dropped later since it was barely selling anything), without a brand name (conversely, the PS brand name is enormous in europe, even today - to lots it was their first console), without proper advertising, essentially, against everything that the PS2 was. Naturally, it failed. Also, Japan doesn't matter? There are 20+ million PS2's sold there, and like 6 mil Gamecubes. It matters, and it matters lots. Neither was a worthy competitor, since they lacked in lots of areas, and a worthy adversary doesn't fail so hard. Also, the reliability of the Xbox with the Thomson made drive is shit. The xbox was generally more reliable, but not without faults. Online wasn't also nearly as big as it is now, but kudos on the addition. Wouldn't have been the same w/o them.

Nintendo would pull a PS2 if they could, get real. The just got ignored by all the third parties that developed on the PS2, and ignored hard.

i do not wish this upon anybody! if i had to choose it would be hard, sony make's the best hardware microsft has the best online and nintendo has the best innovation each company has there strenghts

sony has
the greatest first party games out of any console's
the greatest hardware
the greatest mulitmedia device
easiest to navigate
best controller [my opinion]

microsft has
the greatest online
the greatest social experience
small quantity games but there all quality
the best marketiting
best controller for fps

Nintendo has
the best platforming games out of any console's
the best innovations
the best ip's
best handhelds

each console's have there strengths and taking anyone off would ruin competition and ruin your choice!
but if i had to choose it would be microsoft seeing as they are the new guy and the first 2 companys should have more rights to stay

Netyaroze said:
@fordy

"You realise that this was the basis behind the 3DO? Multiple electronics companies building a unified console architecture. It didn't quite sell that amount, plus it remained quite expensive despite the competition."

I know but my idea is more of a combined effort from Sony/MS/Nintendo. Not selling Licences to everyone. Just make ONE Box that has it all. In 1 version from 1 Manufacturer.

Not selling licenses to any of them? Hahahah. Sorry but you'd have better chance of getting the wealthy to give up all of their money.

None of them would agree to this. They'd lose billions each. They have the markets tied up and milking it to no ends.

Xen said:
sales2099 said:
Xen said:
sales2099 said:
Xen said:
sales2099 said:

I wasn't gonna reply, but since this is just twisting my words into a bowtie, I can't refrain.

First of all, reading comprehension please:  The Gamecube had a terrible kiddy, less powerful than PS2, and uncool image. Bolded and italicised so it's easier to comprehend. In Europe, the Xbox launched to a very high price (quickly dropped later since it was barely selling anything), without a brand name (conversely, the PS brand name is enormous in europe, even today - to lots it was their first console), without proper advertising, essentially, against everything that the PS2 was. Naturally, it failed. Also, Japan doesn't matter? There are 20+ million PS2's sold there, and like 6 mil Gamecubes. It matters, and it matters lots. Neither was a worthy competitor, since they lacked in lots of areas, and a worthy adversary doesn't fail so hard. Also, the reliability of the Xbox with the Thomson made drive is shit. The xbox was generally more reliable, but not without faults. Online wasn't also nearly as big as it is now, but kudos on the addition. Wouldn't have been the same w/o them.

Nintendo would pull a PS2 if they could, get real. The just got ignored by all the third parties that developed on the PS2, and ignored hard.

If your saying the Xbox 1 and Gamecube were on the same level as the N64 and even the Sega Saturn in terms of competition then you are deluded.