By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Americas UP-10th September

kowenicki said:

You are wrong, its never off... very heavily advertised.

I was having this discussion the other day with a PS3 fan on this very site.    For instance it was advrtised in  between all the live UK champions league games... thats expensive.

Do you have sky?  do you watch the commercial UK channels?

Sigh.. UK = Europe, like NPD = TheWorld?

Resistance 3 isn't even sold yet where I live so don't expect high numbers if other European countries aren't selling it either.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
Dallinor said:
kowenicki said:

Res3 not a great opening... will do better in EMEAA (or rather it should given the amount of advertising spend - its on TV almost permanently and in high profile programs too)

PS3 will be down quite a bit YOY for next few weeks. Wii is down YOY massively.... 360 awaits its price cut (massively down next week YOY (REACH anniversary)

3DS.. ok I guess... PSP needs Vita.

I've seen it a few times. 'Almost permanently' is a complete exaggeration. I've seen games advertised on the tv far, far more than it.

You are wrong, its never off... very heavily advertised.

I was having this discussion the other day with a PS3 fan on this very site.    For instance it was advrtised in  between all the live UK champions league games... thats expensive.

Do you have sky?  do you watch the commercial UK channels?

Yes I have Sky, that's why I commented.

As it's purely annecdotal how often we both see the ads, I guess we can't really debate this effectively. I'd say it's been advertised more than the usual Sony exclusive though, which usually gets about £1m in tv advertising expenditure in the UK, but nowhere near on the same level as some other high profile games advertised in the past, from what I've seen.

Anyway, it's a poor opening in NA, and I imagine the opening in EMEAA will be poor also.

Seece said:
megaman79 said:
Interesting to note that a "core" Kinect motion game on 360 didn't sell well at all. It didn't much better than many Wii games of a similar type.

I guess it wasn't the Wii audience to blame, but rather bad quality product.

Of course it was the Wii audience to blame. And much of the Kinect audience IS the Wii audience, that and the core Kinect owners (like me) actually have good alternatives.

Shinobi-san said:
i think that very first CGI trailer of dead island, sold a good few copies! Great numbers for a new IP, us gamers love our Zombies :) (not so much me though :P)

Dissapointed in ps3 numbers...would have liked it to be at 70k, but that was probably asking for too much. Hopefully next week it will be up.

3DS numbers looking good seems to have stabilized :)

i agree, i wish sony learned how to market properly. 

I wish Resistance 3 would've opened bigger.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Around the Network
Reasonable said:

Pretty much as expected start for R3 I'd argue, given it's status relative to the franchise. R2 drew a lot of heat after a fair bit of initially positive hype, with both it's SP and MP aspects heavily criticized. The only element everyone seemed to like was the totally separate coop element.

R2 also threw the franchise out of sync vs Resistance 1 by committing a number of (in hindsight) bloody obvious errors:

- changing core gameplay from what most seemed to like about the first title (old school FPS, long SP campaign, variety of weapons and gameplay) linked to a pretty fast and fun MP to an obvious Halo/CoD clone. In particular I'd note that when a key USP for your franchise is the crazy weapons and lots of 'em limiting the player to two is simply self defeating

- abruptly and with poor explanation changing a lot of the feel of the Universe which clearly threw off a lot of people who found the alternative history setting a real USP for the franchise

- being too rushed with obvious flaws vs what the first title delivered (although I have to admit at least Insomniac where endearingly open about this in behind the scenes videos, etc)

Coming after that, R3 was bound to be somewhat muted. The reviews have been decent but not great and while it does capture what was popular in the first (TBH its almost a re-telling of the first really just based in US this time) it lost the one thing R2 added everyone liked, the crazy separate coop.

Word of mouth seems positive so I expect it'll slowly trek to OK numbers, but R3 would have needed to be perfect to recover from the damage R2 did to the franchise IMHO.

Pretty good start for Dead Island though - player preferences cutting through critics views as easily as a Transformers movie. Patches incoming to keep that baby going I'd imagine given it looks like being a bit of a sleeper hit.

HW pretty much as expected.

Only other thing of note for me is Rise of Nightmares - unless it sees a big boost for holidays it's going to tank.  I remain unconvinced with Kinect as a platform for big sales currently (Adverntures doesn't count as it's bundled and outside that it's only supported a few solid hits so far).  I'm assuming MS are planning to market Kinect heavily for the holidays, and TBH I think they're going to have to as I'm not sure it has enough momentum to do anything like last year without special pushing unless some of the upcoming titles (maybe Star Wars) click with families.

You pretty much nailed, R2 really did some damage to the franchise.

Its no surprise that resistance 3 sold a little poorly. I am sure games of PS3 in 2011 will have better legs than before because the years been fully stuffed with games, the last week itself there were 2 new exclusive games in each region, not to mention other 3rd party games.

RolStoppable said:
Seece said:
megaman79 said:
Interesting to note that a "core" Kinect motion game on 360 didn't sell well at all. It didn't much better than many Wii games of a similar type.

I guess it wasn't the Wii audience to blame, but rather bad quality product.

Of course it was the Wii audience to blame. And much of the Kinect audience IS the Wii audience, that and the core Kinect owners (like me) actually have good alternatives.

Lulz.

You just conceded that the game in question is a bad quality product.

Well, I wouldn't buy it ...

RolStoppable said:
Seece said:
RolStoppable said:
Seece said:

Lulz.

You just conceded that the game in question is a bad quality product.

Well, I wouldn't buy it ...

Then why try to put the blame on gamers instead of the company behind it?

Because the casual audience should live up to their reputation.

I'm glad the 3DS is doing well,It's going to do good numbers,this holiday season.