By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies Discussion - George Lucas adds a Nooo! to Return of the Jedi Blu-ray (I'm serious)

Mr Khan said:
Rob-Ot said:
Mr Khan said:
Stupid because unlike many of the other edits he's done thus far, this one fundamentally alters how that scene will be interpreted. I was never like the rabid idiots that booed and hissed at the CG touch-ups, and the changes to Boba Fett's voice, while pointless, at least didn't effect the story, but this...

This doesn't affect the story or the interpretation at all.

At that moment Vader undergoes a transformation, he sees his son almost dying, he probably remembers his greatest remorse (Padme's death partly due to him) and everything else. Essentially his mind sees all his wrongs and compells him to face up to his crimes, a "no" at this point is even natural. Adding in a "no" certainly doesn't change the interpretation in any way let alone "fundamentally" as you put it.

The only problem is the first one is too early as the Emperor should have heard it instead of continuing to use the force lightning. The other problem is that it sounds odd.

That's what i get for not actually looking at the video

Yeah, i guess it doesn't fix much, though the scene still had more power when he was silent, because then you couldn't really assess his state of mind until he acted

eh

@ Happysquirrel: Leia and Vader's origins were still mysterious to all involved parties (except people who were sworn to secrecy and who all died in the course of the original trilogy), so i'm not seeing the issue here, unless you're thinking of someone who would be watching all six in order right off the bat

My point was ... If you watch the movies in order the suspense and mystery in the original trilogy is destroyed because it was spoonfed to you in the prequels.



Around the Network

great find



Mr Khan said:
Rob-Ot said:
Mr Khan said:
Stupid because unlike many of the other edits he's done thus far, this one fundamentally alters how that scene will be interpreted. I was never like the rabid idiots that booed and hissed at the CG touch-ups, and the changes to Boba Fett's voice, while pointless, at least didn't effect the story, but this...

This doesn't affect the story or the interpretation at all.

At that moment Vader undergoes a transformation, he sees his son almost dying, he probably remembers his greatest remorse (Padme's death partly due to him) and everything else. Essentially his mind sees all his wrongs and compells him to face up to his crimes, a "no" at this point is even natural. Adding in a "no" certainly doesn't change the interpretation in any way let alone "fundamentally" as you put it.

The only problem is the first one is too early as the Emperor should have heard it instead of continuing to use the force lightning. The other problem is that it sounds odd.

That's what i get for not actually looking at the video

Yeah, i guess it doesn't fix much, though the scene still had more power when he was silent, because then you couldn't really assess his state of mind until he acted

eh

@ Happysquirrel: Leia and Vader's origins were still mysterious to all involved parties (except people who were sworn to secrecy and who all died in the course of the original trilogy), so i'm not seeing the issue here, unless you're thinking of someone who would be watching all six in order right off the bat

So you were hating on the video and George Lucas without even saying the video in question. I don't particularly like George Lucas but I have to say your kind of attitude is what I see from most people, they love to bash anything he does just because he does it without giving him a chance.



The sad thing is people are still gonna flock to buy this crap



"I don't know what this Yamcha is, but it sounds just like Raditz."

NOOOOOO!!!!



Around the Network

I think it's much better this way, it gives the characters more emotion and it also adds to the intensity of the scene.



HappySqurriel said:
With the original trilogy George Lucas was working with the right people at the right time and didn't have an ego that got in the way of producing a quality product. Since then his ego has been running the shots and he slowly destroys what he once had ...

On top of that, after the prequels were made it became clear that George Lucas lacks a basic understanding of storytelling. Beyond the pacing and character development issues, the fact that he doesn't understand that the origins of Darth Vader and the Background of princess Leia have to remain mysterious for the movies to work in sequence (as he supposedly "intended") demonstrates lack of understanding of basic plot development.

Plus, after watching the prequels, I think with the originals it was a case of great actors overcoming a bad (maybe too harsh a word)  director.  Their performances weren't as wooden as in the prequels.  And I just wish Lucas would move on and actually DO something instead of returning to the same movies and changing them for the worse.  Really, if he's going to go back and change anything, why not make the prequels better?  Instead he goes in and changes things that NO ONE wanted changed.  He really has lost touch.



I don't mind it. Seems like a more natural response a father would give while watching his son get electrocuted.



Cirio said:
I don't mind it. Seems like a more natural response a father would give while watching his son get electrocuted.


I know, right?



thismeintiel said:
HappySqurriel said:
With the original trilogy George Lucas was working with the right people at the right time and didn't have an ego that got in the way of producing a quality product. Since then his ego has been running the shots and he slowly destroys what he once had ...

On top of that, after the prequels were made it became clear that George Lucas lacks a basic understanding of storytelling. Beyond the pacing and character development issues, the fact that he doesn't understand that the origins of Darth Vader and the Background of princess Leia have to remain mysterious for the movies to work in sequence (as he supposedly "intended") demonstrates lack of understanding of basic plot development.

Plus, after watching the prequels, I think with the originals it was a case of great actors overcoming a bad (maybe too harsh a word)  director.  Their performances weren't as wooden as in the prequels.  And I just wish Lucas would move on and actually DO something instead of returning to the same movies and changing them for the worse.  Really, if he's going to go back and change anything, why not make the prequels better?  Instead he goes in and changes things that NO ONE wanted changed.  He really has lost touch.

Well, George Lucas is working on this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Tails

The first Lucasarts production which isn't Star Wars or Indi since 1994