By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Daily Finance has just declared "Game Over" for Nintendo

o_O.Q said:
Mr Khan said:
o_O.Q said:
HappySqurriel said:

How many times has the top selling console manufacturer released their successor console significantly before their competition and not outsold their competition? This is by no means a claim that Nintendo is ensured success but it is a demonstration that there are factors that these analysts never take into account.

With that said, Nintendo's biggest problem at this point in time seems to be that they're not executing a well defined strategy. While it is great when a company determines that they made a mistake, in some cases it is better to continue with the issue until it makes sense to change it; for example, if the rumours are true about the second analogue nub, it may not make sense to add a new one at this point in time (after all, the DS and iPhone are highly successful without a single analogue stick so why does the 3DS need an add-on/revision to add a second one?)

the dreamcast says hi

"top selling"

i guess the dreamcast doesn't exactly fit his description but atari moving from the 2nd gen to the 3rd gen does the nes outsold a console from atari ( the 5200 ) that launched a year before it

The crash killed Atari. Unless there's another crash in the next couple of years, then that example won't apply either.

VGChartz

Around the Network
Last_Dream said:

Shares actually just define confidence from investors. Like the previous investors meeting, I think many of Nintendo investors now hate game and doesn't now how game company work. That's why they can't see how game will survive in this rough world especially by maintaining Nintendo ways.... And I think that's the reason of low shares....

I believe and I hope Nintendo will survive this. 3DS is not as bad as many people/article says. It's just they release in a bad time. Like earthquake in Japan, and recession in US.

This.

Plus, the only evident mistake they made imo was the price. They have been too greedy, 249$ was too high. If they started with 199$ form the beginning probably they would have sold much more units, this would have ment more game sales, a larger avdantage aginst Vita and mostly no need for an early price cut.

Daily Who? Finance what? Some old Lame Fanboy site to low selling HD consoles, is now the Authority on anything Nintendo and Nintendo's decisions on the gaming public. Even when Sony thought they were in the lead with a mere 150mil units sold with the PS2, Nintendo was like "speak to me when you ship 200 mil cause my Gameboy devision was at 370 mil. Nintendo dose what it dose and EVERYONE joins and try to improve on but just end up their product sitting on store shelves. Now Nintendo is first and wil be first and will release early while the other guy will wait to see what they can copy to their (if you have HD already and nothing selling) then you get the same CRAP. Only thing you can do is Copy the top selling Nintendo brand stuff.. Nintendo is DOOMED!! ~to remain successful~

yea, yea, Nintendo has been doomed since 2006

such a stupid articol!

no need to reply to it!

Switch!!!

Around the Network

" It didn't matter at first, as Nintendo's whimsical motion-based controller overcame what the platform lacked in specs."

I stopped reading here in the second paragraph. "whimsical motion-based controller"? That statement doesn't make any sense at all. The author is just sticking random less-often used words into his writing.

Unless whimsical means something different to Americans?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

sethnintendo said:
o_O.Q said:
HappySqurriel said:
How many times has the top selling console manufacturer released their successor console significantly before their competition and not outsold their competition? This is by no means a claim that Nintendo is ensured success but it is a demonstration that there are factors that these analysts never take into account.

With that said, Nintendo's biggest problem at this point in time seems to be that they're not executing a well defined strategy. While it is great when a company determines that they made a mistake, in some cases it is better to continue with the issue until it makes sense to change it; for example, if the rumours are true about the second analogue nub, it may not make sense to add a new one at this point in time (after all, the DS and iPhone are highly successful without a single analogue stick so why does the 3DS need an add-on/revision to add a second one?)

the dreamcast says hi

How does the Dreamcast say hi when the Saturn was released before it? He stated that when the top selling console manufacturer releases their next system earlier.  Sega has never had a top selling console.  The Mega Drive was outsold by the NES, the Genesis was outsold by the SNES, the Saturn was outsold by PS1 and N64, etc...  Sega was on a downward spiral far greater than anything Nintendo is experiencing right now.  Dreamcast can't say hi (while it was released early) to this argument when the Saturn was nowhere near the top selling.  If Sega didn't fuck up so much with the Saturn (still a decent system with some very good games on it) then they would have probably done better with the Dreamcast.  After the Saturn most people just wrote Sega off.  I personally would rather have Sega than Sony in home console market.  However, if I could pick just 3 manufacturers it would be Nintendo, Sega, and Sony.  I wish Microsoft never happened.

The Genesis launched in 1989. It was the number one 16bit console until late 1994. By 1995, the Satarn released so it's pretty safe to say the Genesis beat the SNES.

Metallicube said:
This guy loses any ounce of credibility when he claims that Iphone and Android games are a threat to Nintendo's markets.

That is actually a valid point.  As it is for the Vita as well when that releases.  Smartphones are changing the portable landscape whether you like it or not.  Iwata even said it himself that iPhone was a threat.

I guess every company gets to be in the doom spotlight once in a while.  Well, I guess MS less than the others because news companies have more at risk when badmouthing MS.  I can't say I like some of Nintendo's actions right now (especially NoA), but they will still be around for a while.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Nintari said:

The Genesis launched in 1989. It was the number one 16bit console until late 1994. By 1995, the Satarn released so it's pretty safe to say the Genesis beat the SNES.

Sega Genesis sold about 40 million sold and SNES sold about 49 million.  How did the Genesis beat the SNES?  Are you arguing that within a certain time span the Genesis outsold the SNES?

Well Nintendo sure did shoot themselves in the foot with the 3DS.

The Wii U will either save Nintendo or put them in a very very deep hole. We'll have to wait and see. It looks like garbage to me (from what I've seen) so I kinda hope it fails but I don't want to see Nintendo go bankrupt.