By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Daily Finance has just declared "Game Over" for Nintendo

I do think the threat of APP games, social games and Cloud based games are real. The first two absolutely cuts into the very market Nintendo carved out with DS/Wii and Cloud will affect all console makers when it really starts to take off.

3DS and WiiU seem to be a retreat to core from the blue ocean strategy. It's like Apple(Android) stole their blue ocean and not knowing how to compete Nintendo is backpedaling hard.

On the flip side, all the 'experts' and for that matter 'gamers' considered Nintendo doomed to Sega status at this point in GC life before Wii's immense success. So let's wait and see before we jump to conclusions.

Around the Network

lets just wait a bit more and see what happens shall we? it'll be interesting to see what they have planned for that conference

HappySqurriel said:
How many times has the top selling console manufacturer released their successor console significantly before their competition and not outsold their competition? This is by no means a claim that Nintendo is ensured success but it is a demonstration that there are factors that these analysts never take into account.

With that said, Nintendo's biggest problem at this point in time seems to be that they're not executing a well defined strategy. While it is great when a company determines that they made a mistake, in some cases it is better to continue with the issue until it makes sense to change it; for example, if the rumours are true about the second analogue nub, it may not make sense to add a new one at this point in time (after all, the DS and iPhone are highly successful without a single analogue stick so why does the 3DS need an add-on/revision to add a second one?)

the dreamcast says hi

o_O.Q said:
HappySqurriel said:

How many times has the top selling console manufacturer released their successor console significantly before their competition and not outsold their competition? This is by no means a claim that Nintendo is ensured success but it is a demonstration that there are factors that these analysts never take into account.

With that said, Nintendo's biggest problem at this point in time seems to be that they're not executing a well defined strategy. While it is great when a company determines that they made a mistake, in some cases it is better to continue with the issue until it makes sense to change it; for example, if the rumours are true about the second analogue nub, it may not make sense to add a new one at this point in time (after all, the DS and iPhone are highly successful without a single analogue stick so why does the 3DS need an add-on/revision to add a second one?)

the dreamcast says hi

"top selling"

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

o_O.Q said:
HappySqurriel said:

the dreamcast says hi

How does the Dreamcast say hi when the Saturn was released before it? He stated that when the top selling console manufacturer releases their next system earlier.  Sega has never had a top selling console.  The Mega Drive was outsold by the NES, the Genesis was outsold by the SNES, the Saturn was outsold by PS1 and N64, etc...  Sega was on a downward spiral far greater than anything Nintendo is experiencing right now.  Dreamcast can't say hi (while it was released early) to this argument when the Saturn was nowhere near the top selling.  If Sega didn't fuck up so much with the Saturn (still a decent system with some very good games on it) then they would have probably done better with the Dreamcast.  After the Saturn most people just wrote Sega off.  I personally would rather have Sega than Sony in home console market.  However, if I could pick just 3 manufacturers it would be Nintendo, Sega, and Sony.  I wish Microsoft never happened.

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:
o_O.Q said:
HappySqurriel said:

the dreamcast says hi

How does the Dreamcast say hi when the Saturn was released before it? He stated that when the top selling console manufacturer releases their next system earlier.  Sega has never had a top selling console.  The Mega Drive was outsold by the NES, the Genesis was outsold by the SNES, the Saturn was outsold by PS1 and N64, etc...  Sega was on a downward spiral far greater than anything Nintendo is experiencing right now.  Dreamcast can't say hi (while it was released early) to this argument when the Saturn was nowhere near the top selling. 

atari won the second gen of game consoles but lost to nintendo when nintendo introduced the nes even though atari released a new console a year before it so he was wrong regardless...

o_O.Q said:
HappySqurriel said:

the dreamcast says hi

Aaah, but it was sooo beautiful :(

Mr Khan said:
o_O.Q said:
HappySqurriel said:

the dreamcast says hi

"top selling"

i guess the dreamcast doesn't exactly fit his description but atari moving from the 2nd gen to the 3rd gen does the nes outsold a console from atari ( the 5200 ) that launched a year before it

o_O.Q said:

atari won the second gen of game consoles but lost to nintendo when nintendo introduced the nes even though atari released a new console a year before it so he was wrong regardless...

Ah had to dig deep!  I almost forgot about Atari releasing the 5200 before the NES.  What I find funny is that Wikipedia puts the 5200 in the 2nd generation of home console systems (with the 2600).  I suppose it goes more on a time scale back then but you would think the succesor to the 2600 would mean a new generation.  Just thought it was interesting considering I would put the 5200 in the 3rd generation not the 2nd.

I could barely read this article (I didn't because I stopped at the sentence that I am about to complain about) because I knew most of the info in it would be pure bs. Check out this sentence in the beginning and tell me what the fuck is the person trying to say.... That ability to play DVD is so important now??? I understand the ability for the person to attack Wii based on specs (who hasn't heard that argument) but starting the sentence out talking about DVD playing is dumb considering it seems like he is putting major emphasis on DVD playing...

"Even today, the Wii is the only one among the three major consoles to not play DVDs. It didn't matter at first, as Nintendo's whimsical motion-based controller overcame what the platform lacked in specs.

It matters now, though."