By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Americas Up 3rd Sep.

ethomaz said:
non-gravity said:
postofficebuddy said:
We're still undertracking sales in Aus/NZ so sales will still be over 200k assuming we see adjustments for it.

I'm sorry but you really can't know that if you don't have a solid number for Australia.

If I remember Sony/NPD Australia released solid numbers last week .

Other than it's up 400%? Because a percentage means little if we don't know what it increased from.

Around the Network
postofficebuddy said:
Allfreedom99 said:

Forgot about the Tales of Xillia release in Japan this week. That will give a boost, but to be honest I personally highly doubt PS3 sales will reach 250,000 for next weeks WW sales figures. I don't see any other software releases pushing hardware much in Americas or Europe. Therefore I think sales of PS3s will drop slightly in those regions. The price cut effect I think will ware off just a bit in those regions, but not by a lot. I would say Xillia may boost PS3 sales in Japan, but not by such a huge margin that PS3 sales hit 250,000 world wide. At most I personally think PS3 sales will be around 200,000 next week. Even with Xillia releasing I think WW PS3 sales will be around 195,000 but no more than 200,000. And yes I could be completely wrong, but this is just my own personal intuition.

You're entitled to your opinion but I'm quite confident in my statement. History tells us that Japan, more than pretty much any other region, goes batshit over limited edition consoles. Just look at the boost that the white PS3 gave.

http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly.php?date=40783®=Japan&date=40391

And that was just a new color that didn't even come with any games.

Valid point and good assumption on the history aspect. I agree there will be a boost in Japan. I just don't see any boost in Europe or Americas yet for this next week of WW numbers. After that I do agree that everything will start going up. Even with a boost in Japan I still don't see PS3 hardware hitting 250,000 WW like you stated this next week when we see the Xillia, and Resistance 3 effect.

That said and you pointing out the history of limited consoles in Japan, I will change my initial intuition. I will say somewhere above 200,000 but I doubt it will go above 210,000. Maybe it will, but I just simply don't see the 250,000 figure you pointed out. If it does I will gladly say you were right, and that I am completely shocked. 

kowenicki said:

Interesting fact...

I think that this week represents the first time the 360 falls behind 2010 (YOY - YTD) in the US... price cut incoming.

VGChartz Hardware data for the period 03rd Jan 2010 to 04th Sep 2010:

Console Wii PS3 X360
America

VGChartz Hardware data for the period 02nd Jan 2011 to 03rd Sep 2011:

Console Wii PS3 X360
America

To be fair it's already impressive that it was up until now considering it's about to enter its 7th year.

We can't take for granted that MS will cut the price just because their 6th year is slightly down compared to their peak year.

That said, a price cut would do wonders for sales.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Software recap: Madden, Deus Ex, Evergreens.

Signature goes here!

ethomaz said:
kitler53 said:
ps3 up (albeit a small 2%) makes me happy. xD i expected a 5-15% drop on the week. we're probably over-tracking it. :(

the 3DS has seemingly slowed down considerably by me. I'm kind of surprised to see it still posting these large numbers, especially with only 33,145 units of software in the top 40.

where's benVtrigger with his updates?

I know VGC is undertracking it... at least in some parts of EMEAA.

but this data is for the americas...

Around the Network

Btw both the red 3DS and Star Fox come out this week. 9/9/2011. 3DS could get another boost.

Troll_Whisperer said:

To be fair it's already impressive that it was up until now considering it's about to enter its 7th year.

We can't take for granted that MS will cut the price just because their 6th year is slightly down compared to their peak year.

That said, a price cut would do wonders for sales.

I don't think that a price cut will help the x360, I think that a better line-up for this year would've helped more.

Seece said:
Solid numbers for the top 3, surprised Wii is still around 50k with absoloutely no SW though ... logically it should see harsh dips throughout september.

It's probably way over tracked, should have dropped to about 30K now.

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

Nintendogamer said:
Seece said:
Solid numbers for the top 3, surprised Wii is still around 50k with absoloutely no SW though ... logically it should see harsh dips throughout september.

Averaged about 47k during July, so don't think it's down to 30k weekly yet. I would have though low 40's though.

Seece said:
Nintendogamer said:
Seece said:

Averaged about 47k during July, so don't think it's down to 30k weekly yet. I would have though low 40's though.

I reckon NPD August will have it about 110K - 120K.  The lowest it will go will be 22K during this month but in October it should slighlty go up again.

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d