By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony patented the ‘Wii U style’ tech in 2009 – Report

sethnintendo said:

"The patent says: A portable electronic device comprises a display facing in a first direction, a video camera facing in a second direction substantially opposite to the first direction, a receiver operable to receive supplementary image data from a remote image source, the supplementary image data comprising an indication of where a supplementary image is positioned with respect to a reference image, and in which the portable electronic device is arranged in operation to display a captured image from the video camera on the display of the portable electronic device, and when the captured image comprises all or part of the reference image as displayed on a separate display, the portable electronic device is arranged in operation to display the supplementary image positioned with respect to the reference image, instead of the corresponding part of the captured image."

The patent seems way too vague to me. I highly doubt Sony can sue based on an vague idea. Maybe if this patent was more in depth then they might have a case but just reading that paragraph it seems way too damn vague.

Well Patents are always a battle between the patent office and the company/person applying for the patent. A vague patent covers more ground which is good for the patenter... but it could arguable be bad for innovation or create monopolies or whatever, so the patent office tries to trim the patent down. 

This really doesn't sound like the Wii U though since it's streaming the content or different content.

Around the Network

games for PS3 with PSVITA in future...??

it's not the same, it's only the same when people make something similar to what nintendo did!

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

I've gotta say while their are some similarities the technology isn't exactly the same. If Sony actually had something they would have already done something about it. As others pointed out Apple implemented similiar technology as well if Sony thought they had a chance then they would have already taken Apple to court.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

If you listened to Sony fans, you'd know that Nintendo has been copying Sony since the 1890's.

Love and tolerate.

Around the Network
o_O.Q said:
gtfo nintendo is the only company that comes up with ideas for gaming... everyone knows that

I think your sig is funny and to me it seems as if you have it there to show that Nintendo is copying the idea even though they already had this back in the GC-GBA days. That was like hmm about 7 - 8 years ago :P

but yeah they used the PS3s 4D capabilities and went to the future and saw what Sony was doing and then went back and did it with GC-GBA ;)

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

It's absolutely nothing like WiiU and the NeoGAF user that pointed it out is a retard.

The patent is for a touchscreen device designed to function in tandem with another device (implied to be PS3, though not distinctly stated so) that would work similarly to the 3DS's Face Raiders game, except it's intended to work to show things "hidden" from on the TV screen. It CAN operate like augmented reality (which is what Face Raiders is), but they can't patent that.

SW-5120-1900-6153

LOL, wasn't WiiU d0m3d enough? O-)

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

thetonestarr said:
It's absolutely nothing like WiiU and the NeoGAF user that pointed it out is a retard.

The patent is for a touchscreen device designed to function in tandem with another device (implied to be PS3, though not distinctly stated so) that would work similarly to the 3DS's Face Raiders game, except it's intended to work to show things "hidden" from on the TV screen. It CAN operate like augmented reality (which is what Face Raiders is), but they can't patent that.

"It's absolutely nothing like WiiU and the NeoGAF user that pointed it out is a retard."

"The patent is for a touchscreen device designed to function in tandem with another device" ...um isn't that what the concept behind the wii u is?

the touchscreen device

the device/console it works in tandem with

if i wasn't as mad as you are that someone implied that nintendo didn't come up with an idea for gaming i'd be under the impression that you cntradicted yourself...

Salnax said:
If you listened to Sony fans, you'd know that Nintendo has been copying Sony since the 1890's.

I think have all your stats the wrong way round.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?