By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Square Enix Confirms FFXIII Project Not PS3 Exclusive!

In an interesting interview with Australian Official Playstation Magazine, FF 13 director Motomu Toriyama reveals more details on highly anticipated upcoming Final Fantasy games for Playstation 3. Mr. Toriyama (No relations to Akira Toriyama?) confirms that the main character is indeed a female and her name is Lightning. He further comments that rest of the characters will be introduced chronologically as the release date draws near. When asked about the the game’s utilization of high definition format, he replied by saying that HD is one of the most crucial and important components of Final Fantasy 13 coupled with hint at possible online capability.
http://www.ps3vault.com/motomu-toriyama-comments-on-final-fantasy-13-1275#more-1275

So forget about FF13 on the Wii.

Around the Network

That article doesn't provide anything grounbreaking and really does little more than state the obvious.

The main FFXIII game and Versus are still exclusive to the PS3. Nothing was said to suggest otherwise.

The Wii/DS/PSP will all get spin-offs/gaidens that are set in the same universe albeit they will still be completely different games. This is nothing new(FFXII: Revenant Wings, FF: Crystal Chronicles, Kingdom Hearts: COM, Dragon Quest Swords, etc)

The 360 will get an MMO set in the same universe that will probably be on the PS3 as well. 

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3

I'm with you on your FF preference Kwaad, I don't like the direction that 8, 10, 11 and 12 go anyway, unfortunately it's hella popular with heaps of FF fans and that is why the games sell so well.

The characters in FF9 were so much more fun, I like 'chibi' it makes me feel like a game is less realistic and not trying to be so serious... you can still make impacting events happen in not so serious games (like when the dude was frozen in stone).

FF7 rocks cause it is in between the two I think for me, and Sephiroth was seriously the coolest bad dude ever created.

I have personally enjoyed Grandia, Skies of Arcadia, Dragon Quest etc more than a lot of the more serious RPG's these days... FF has dropped the ball for me, but FFXIII might just bring it back for me if it looks good enough, and I think only the PS3 can do it justice.

KEEP it there.

As i've said a million times before Blue Dragon and Eternal Sonata and Lost Odyssey are where it's at now. 

Wow Finally, some Final Fantasy fans with taste. FFVI was excellent, probably the best FF game ever. I like FFIV best, I think its because the game has great sentimental value. Plus I thought FFVI trailed off a bit at the end.

FFVII was terrible. It wasn't bad enough that they dumbed down the gameplay, the story had more holes than swiss cheese, and the characters had virtually no individuality in battle. I mean you had your limits and that was it. The materia system was just a joke. Sephiroth is the most overrated villian in gaming history. I mean seriously they could have given some sort of REAL motivation, the only thing that keeps him from being the worst villian is Hojo.

FFVIII was just awful. Between the artwork by Mattel, bad characters, and even worse story the game had virtually no redeemable qualities. The card game was fun though. I tried to make myself play it but after a few hours, I popped in my bro's copy of Grandia I and never looked back. On the other hand, FFIX is what gave me hope for the series again. Not the greatest in the series, but a solid entry that remembered what made the FF series so great to begin with.

FFX, I really enjoyed this game. I know its hated by some and I can understand it because of how linear the game was. That said, I loved the story, battle system, and the sphere/grid system was a great alternative to the traditional leveling system.  FFX-2 was the Matrix Revolutions. It was so bad that I couldn't never play the original FFX again. The gameplay was actually quiet good, but the ridiculous story and gratuitous pop music just ruined the whole damn game. Also...dress spheres....DRESS SPHERES!? Couldn't they found a better way to implement the class system?

FFXI, I played it for a month and never touched it again. Once the novelty of playing an FF MMO wore off, I realized I was playing a boring and average MMO. The worse part about it was soloing becomes impossible quiet early in the game so you spend most of your time looking for a group....that breaks up after two battles.

FFXII, I liked several elements of this game. That said, I stopped playing after 30 hours. The Gambit system didn't bother me as much as the license system. The board was too small. At the point where I stopped playing the game, my characters were too similar from a gameplay standpoint. Its sad really, because unlike FFVII, I actually enjoyed the story. I will probably finish it eventually. 

I doubt a Wii version is in the works, simply because it would require a large team and a bigger budget then say a handheld title. A DS title could happen but 7-12 aren't on DS yet bot oh well.

Most likely the port not mentioned will be the release of FF13 on the 360. I bet a port is in the works already because of the PS3's failure to really impact the North American market. This port is very possible because Microsoft has financially encouraged Square-Enix to support 360 in the past.

A 360 port will benefit Square-Enix because the FF13 will sell out in Japan where PS3 is dominant while selling out in North America where 360 is dominant all while keeping the game truely next gen and not having to spend to much in adapting the differnet versions.

With Microsoft's efforts to bring games like GTA4 to 360 alongside PS3 I could easily see MS trying to get FF13. This would benefit Microsoft in Japan too. When Japanese gamers go to upgrade from their PS2's to get FF13 they will notice the 250USD 360 Premium sitting next to the 600USD PS3. In Japan Microsoft cut its price to compete with the Wii. This would mean that rather then spending 400USD more on a PS3 for the new FF13 they could spend only 250USD and get the same game on the 360 not to mention other hits like Blue Dragon I believe it was called (By Artoon)

This seems to be the most likely scenario! 

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Around the Network
Joelcool7 said:

With Microsoft's efforts to bring games like GTA4 to 360 alongside PS3 I could easily see MS trying to get FF13. This would benefit Microsoft in Japan too. When Japanese gamers go to upgrade from their PS2's to get FF13 they will notice the 250USD 360 Premium sitting next to the 600USD PS3. In Japan Microsoft cut its price to compete with the Wii. This would mean that rather then spending 400USD more on a PS3 for the new FF13 they could spend only 250USD and get the same game on the 360 not to mention other hits like Blue Dragon I believe it was called (By Artoon)

This seems to be the most likely scenario!

Sony cut the price of the PS3 in Japan as well.