By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Best selling JRPG's outside Japan this gen?(on consoles).

I'm using vgchartz numbers, not i nany order

Final Fantasy xIII PS3 - 2.81M

FF13 360 - 1.8M

Monster Hunter Tri - 830k

Valkyria Chronicles - 760k

Lost Odyssey - 700k

Blue Dragon -  610k

White Knight - 480k

Star Ocean 4 360 - 450k

Last remnant 440k.

Vesperia 360 - 380k

Star Ocean 4 PS3 - 300k

Resonance Fate PS3 - 300k

Symphonia 2 wii- 200k(no europe sales..judging by how it did in the charts it probbaly sold next to nothing)

Resonance of Fate 360 - 190k

None of them bar FF surpassing a million, although if we include handheld then DQIX sold over a million.  I've missed obscure games like Aterlier and Ar tonelico but i suspect they did terrible anyway. Same with Agarest war etc no real numbers.

Interestingly enough, most of them don't exactly have massive JPN sales apart from MH. Very few of them did 1M worldwide as well.

EDIT: Put them in some order. Still seperated platform

---

Around the Network

The list would look better if you added up PS3 and X360 numbers and if you put them in order from the best to the worst selling. Good job anyway.

The thing is, JRPG's never sold much in the West, even during the PS1 era the only JRPG that really sold was FF. The only non FF JRPG's that sold over a million on consoles excluding Japan where Yu-gi-oh and The Legend of Dragoon.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Those are pretty disappointing numbers.

But then again, the games aren't that great either, thank god next year is looking better.

brendude13 said:

But then again, the games aren't that great either, thank god next year is looking better.

MH3 and Valkyria Chronicles kick arse.  Xenoblade Chronicles isn't listed, but that is also awesome.  I fail to see how that those 3 games in particular 'aren't that great'.

MrT-Tar said:
brendude13 said:

MH3 and Valkyria Chronicles kick arse.  Xenoblade Chronicles isn't listed, but that is also awesome.  I fail to see how that those 3 games in particular 'aren't that great'.

In my opinion neither Monster Hunter Tri nor Valkyria Chronicles are JRPGs but whatever. Valkyria Chronicles is an action based strategy RPG and Monster Hunter Tri is more of a grinding fest adventure and action game.

Anyway I think VC is overrated by gamers (not by critics) and Monster Hunter Tri isn't THAT great.

This gen has been awfully disappointing for JRPGs.

I can't tell about Xenoblade for obvious reasons.

Around the Network

VC is awsume

MrT-Tar said:
brendude13 said:

Lol, hilarious GIF.

Anyway, I didn't mean all of the games, and I didn't necessarily mean they were bad either.

FFXIII and Tales of Vesperia were amazing, I'm looking forward to picking up Valkyria Chronicles and Star Ocean too, it's just the rest of the game seem a bit "meh" to me.

My main point was that JRPG's aren't like they used to be, thank god next year is looking up.

No wonder JRPG's haven't sold as well this gen, on that list only three titles are any good (imo).

depends how stringently you define JRPG I guess. I personally wouldn't put Monster Hunter on the list because it has no leveling system outside of equipment and that to me makes it an Action-Adventure. On the other hand games like Demon's Souls and Disgaea 3 sold enough to make it on your list and I would call both of those JRPGs.

Also Atelier Rorona actually didn't do too bad. Sold 180k in the West which almost gets it on the list.

I wouldn't be surprised if the appeal of jrpgs has dropped in the west. But the appeal wasn't that strong to begin with outside of Final Fantasy. When I mentioned that I played rpgs to my ex-girlfriend (who doesn't play videogames), she said, "you mean like Final Fantasy?" People know what Final Fantasy is but the rest is pretty much niche status. Some of the non-geek male gamer acquaintances I went to college with have heard of Star Ocean. Probably because IGN or whomever might have had a Star Ocean piece on their front page during release week or maybe it was prominently displayed at their local GameStop. I know when I first walked into GameStop a few weeks back they had a stack of Catherine copies right in front of the store. I wonder if that kind of visibility had anything to do with ATLUS's solid (by their standards) North American numbers for Catherine. And Star Ocean pulls more figures than Catherine. So I'd imagine that the GameStop regular (who isn't exactly the mainstream gamer. These are the type of people who will buy or Gamefly/Redbox stuff like Wet, Alice and Just Cause 2. And I bet Star Ocean outsold those games) has at least heard of Star Ocean.

But it's only really the geeks who actually play that kind of stuff.