By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - ''August Box Office Rises and Falls''

Despite a plague of pathetic new releases over the past two weeks, August 2011 ended up ahead of August 2010 in terms of gross. The month came in at $894 million, which was up two percent over last August.

August 2011 ranked as the fourth highest-grossing August of all time, behind 2007, 2009 and 2003. However, it saw the steepest July-to-August drop on record, as business was off 36 percent from July's $1.4 billion haul.

An estimated 111 million tickets were sold in August, off two percent from last year. That was on par with August 2005, ranking as one of the least-attended Augusts of the past 20 years.

Two movies crossed the $100 million mark, Rise and The Help, marking the first time that's happened in August since 2007. With $102.6 million in 22 days of August play, The Help handily surpassed most past comparable titles, including Julie & Julia and Eat Pray Love.

3D accounted for nearly $150 million of August's box office and was up around 35 percent from last August.

2011's total gross climbed to $7.2 billion, down 4.4 percent from 2010 and 1.1 percent from 2009 at the same eight-month points, though higher than any other year. At an estimated 906 million, attendance was running 5.4 percent behind 2010. So far, 2011's still the least-attended year since 1996.

[SOURCE]

Around the Network

I've done my share this month so I can't be blamed! I went to see Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Don't Be Afraid of the Dark.

I'm really happy to see Rise of the Planet of the Apes doing so good. It was a very awesome movie.

I also liked Don't Be Afraid of the Dark but the second part of the movie didn't live up to the first part. The little girl is a good actress.

Boutros said:

I've done my share this month so I can't be blamed! I went to see Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Don't Be Afraid of the Dark.

I'm really happy to see Rise of the Planet of the Apes doing so good. It was a very awesome movie.

I also liked Don't Be Afraid of the Dark but the second part of the movie didn't live up to the first part. The little girl is a good actress.

I didnt see anything since i didn't have enough interest.Will watch Rise on blu-ray though,heard its pretty good.

I saw Harry Potter 7.5, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, and Captain America all last month. There's never been a month where I saw that many movies at the theater.

SW-5120-1900-6153

thetonestarr said:
I saw Harry Potter 7.5, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, and Captain America all last month. There's never been a month where I saw that many movies at the theater.

How was Captain America compared to Thor?

Thor is one of the greatest sh movies ever imo!Can't wait for the sequel

Around the Network

Movies I saw last month:
- Horrible Bosses
- Bridesmaids
- Bodyguard (Indian movie)

and that's because I was in Dubai. We don't have cinemas in Saudi Arabia.

thetonestarr said:

I saw all of those movies 2. 

I've seen more movies in the past month then i've seen in the past 3 years.

Boutros said:

Please don't tell me you are serious. That movie was just aweful. :(

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

yo_john117 said:
I've seen more movies in the past month then i've seen in the past 3 years.

Give some examples then ! What movies did you see in August?