By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Worldwide UP - August 27, 2011

Ail said:
I think PS3 actually has a slight hope of selling more than the 3DS next week.

Dude, quickly update your signature before they adjust the gap again. :P

Shinobi-san said:
Hey friend! Nice to see you posting more :)

I dont think Sony will be in the position to cut again by $50...i think Sony cuts prices when they can and also when its needed. Whereas MS can pretty much cut whenever they like so to speak. MS can afford to play the price game, Sony on the other hand are not in the same position. And i think weve seen that, Sony are running the race at their speed, and i dont think its because they want to but rather because they forced to. Another thing, and this is just a gues, but a price cut that comes soon after a previous price cut is a bad sign to investors...and can also be seen as a sign of desperation which i think they will want to avoid.

If i was Sony id take a lesser market share for increased profits at this point in the gen. Irrespective of what the competition (unless the competition is doing something amazing which they not).

I agree with you on one thing though, if they do cut the price again this year, say with uncharted 3 release then yeah SALES EXPLOSION :D

I think that Sony can get away with another cut, but was expecting MS to react sooner.

It would be funny if I were right ... ;)

Around the Network

I expect 3DS is way over tracked somehow, with a price cut but no games I don't believe.

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

Nintendogamer said:
I expect 3DS is way over tracked somehow, with a price cut but no games I don't believe.

Well, that's rare coming from you.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Michael-5 said:
Patchner will be right. If MS doesn't price cut, PS3 will outsell 360 in the holidays.

I expect PS3 sales to continue following the Wii trend and drop in sales next week (despite whatever boost Madden brings). PS3's growth is slowing down faster then Wii's and it had Monster Hunter to help it a bit in Japan. I feel this is the temporary PS3 peak, and sales will drop 10% next week (not 20% because of Madden).

360 I expect to be level next week, or maybe a small 5% boost due to madden.

3DS will remain above 200k, but might drop another 20%. I hope it stabilizes high.

The rest, no major changes.

I hope MS is smart and cuts the 360's price soon. I think they will cut it, but they are just waiting for the holidays to start.

WW, PS3 will most likely outsell 360, anyway.  Even, if MS cuts the 250 GB to $249, its going to have less of an effect than the $249 PS3, as there is already a $199 360 SKU.  And this time around, the cheaper SKU is the exact same console as the top of the line 360 (except for the larger HDD), which wasn't the case with the older 360.  The only way I could see the 360 outselling the PS3 (though not by too much), is if they cut both models by $50, as well as cut Kinect by ~$75 coupled with a huge ad campaign for both cuts.

And you have to think, 360 is going to mostly see great sales in the US and UK, with some alright sales in the rest of EMEAA, for the holidays.  Its almost completely dead in Japan.  However, PS3 will see great sales in Japan and the rest of EMEAA, while in the US and UK, the sales are going to still be pretty good.  PS3 isn't really dead anywhere.

Nintendogamer said:

Well, we will have to wait for NPD to compare sales numbers, but I wouldn't think we are too off.  I mean it was a significant cut, and early enough in the 3DS's life for it to still be looked at as the "new" thing.

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
Nintendogamer said:

Well, we will have to wait for NPD to compare sales numbers, but I wouldn't think we are too off.  I mean it was a significant cut, and early enough in the 3DS's life for it to still be looked at as the "new" thing.

I don't know what Vgchartz have it at but I reckon NPD will have it about 270,000.

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

ethomaz said:
kowenicki said:
ethomaz said:

@CGI took the WW thread .

200k baby and for me a bit undertracked.

are you going to enter every thread now and just say undertracked based on nothing more than a hunch / wish?

or do you have some indicators?

Yeah... Australia .

the fact is most Aust retailers haven't been selling the PS3 at the old retail price, mainly because as the AUS dollar strengthened over the last  3 years (although it seems to have settled from just under $1.10 at peak to between $1.06-$1.07 US approx) they have bought the price down themselves but still a good effort.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

I have to wonder what MS are thinking. There's essentially no way they could win this year without a price cut, and at this point even with one it's looking increasingly unlikely. They've already announced that the MW3 bundle will be $400 so the absolute earliest we're seeing a price cut is late November. On its current trajectory by then the YTD gap between the PS3 and 360 will be over 2 million. And with Ninokuni and FFXIII-2 most likely giving PS3 a significantly better holiday in Japan than last year 360 would need to have a holiday almost comparable to Wii's 2009 outside of Japan to catch back up.

Proudest Platinums:
1. Gran Turismo 5
2. Persona 4 Arena
3. Wipeout HD
4. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
5. Super Street Fighter 4

Troll_Whisperer said:
Nintendogamer said:

Well, that's rare coming from you.

I see you are unfamiliar with NintendoGamer.

EDIT: Ignore this post. My Sarcasm detector was on the fritz

Playstation grabbing the home theatre market from Windows isn't anymore one of MS worries, Android expanding even more than PS2 could just dream about is. So MS will cut price only when needed, not just to fight with Sony for WW 2nd place, as long as its leadership in America is safe. This doesn't mean that MS won't cut XB360 price, it eventually will, but not just for e-peen sake.

Notice that PS3 and XB360 are the only HW up this week, OTOH Wii just had a price cut, but its effect is already wearing down. XB360 is already affordable without price cuts, Wii was already too even before the cut, PS3 was the most expensive, so it actually was the one that could benefit more from a cut, but once the price is right, the thing that counts the most are the games, and both MS and Sony currently are lucidly acknowledging it.

Finally, there are many, not mutually exclusive, possible reasons for Sony to cut by just $50: cutting profit as little as possible, not wanting to start a price war with MS, planning to start permanently bundling Move with every PS3 in the middle term without increasing the entry level price, planning to release a lot of bundles for Xmas, this latter move, again, to add value instead of further cutting price.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!