By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Religious people more likely to be happy with them and their lives - atheists more likely to be depressed, sad and miserable

Delusion is a hell of a drug.

Pixel Art can be fun.

Around the Network

Journalists are more likely to be atheists, they're more likely to suffer PTSD, have alcohol and drug abuse problems, and they're more likely to avoid counseling.

But I am a realist, and I read/see everyday about the great tragedies in the world, which are too often ignored/under reported by the people in my profession, so consequently believing in Sky Wizards is implausible to me.

Id much rather have a better world today, than a better world afterwards.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Farmageddon said:
butcherknife said:
People who believe in God are happier?...Or are people who believe in God more likely to "say" that they are happy?

This study does not differentiate between the two.

This. Also, have they even controlled for any confouding variables?

The best way to know if the person is happy is to ask them. The person himself/herself knows the best weather or not he/she is happy. There is no other way to find out if the person is satisified with their lifes

pearljammer said:

The major problem with these studies is that they're often only done in the United States where the religious are a majority and the non-religious are a minority. This of course satifies another criteria for happiness.

In fact, a study done in the Netherlands and Denmark, where the non-religious are the majority, resulted in much, much lower differences between the two. As the study concludes:

"the question in further research should not be whether religiousness boosts happiness, but in what conditions for what people."

There are just so many variables involved here, namely geographical, that a blanket conclusion that 'religious people are more likely to be happy' is a gross oversimplification.

A sense of community is what I would attribute as being the strongest factor for that argument. Of course, I'm talking purely out of my ass on that thought.

Well, there are almost no countries in the world where the majority is non religious, the only ones coming to my mind are Czech Republic and Estonia, all other countries have a religious majority in the.n. If its gonna help, a similar research was done in my country and in Bosnia, and same results came up like in this OP. I have a link, only, you wouldnt be able to understand anything

Well im Athiest and very happy with my life and choices and loving the 'ignorance is bliss' comments

Around the Network

No wonder, Atheists know the cold, hard truth while believers live in a dream world. Of course you are happier there.

updated: 14.01.2012

playing right now: Xenoblade Chronicles

Hype-o-meter, from least to most hyped:  the Last Story, Twisted Metal, Mass Effect 3, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Playstation ViTA

bet with Mordred11 that Rage will look better on Xbox 360.

i wonder if there is any connections to the studies that show that atheists and agnostics tend to be smarter and better educated.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Level1Death said:
What's up with all the religion threads lately?

I dont know... but it kills the buzz around here :| I never taught that I will say this, but I miss the console wars

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

hunter_alien said:
Level1Death said:
What's up with all the religion threads lately?

I dont know... but it kills the buzz around here :| I never taught that I will say this, but I miss the console wars

Yeah, try starting a thread about Climate Change next time, thats a riot and a half.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Squall_Leonhart said:
Well im Athiest and very happy with my life and choices and loving the 'ignorance is bliss' comments

Same..