By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Religious people more likely to be happy with them and their lives - atheists more likely to be depressed, sad and miserable

butcherknife said:
People who believe in God are happier?...Or are people who believe in God more likely to "say" that they are happy?

This study does not differentiate between the two.

This. Also, have they even controlled for any confouding variables?

Around the Network

Hmmm I don't see the second part of the title in the article, I wonder why that was added on there?

Former something....

Level1Death said:
What's up with all the religion threads lately?

The major problem with these studies is that they're often only done in the United States where the religious are a majority and the non-religious are a minority. This of course satifies another criteria for happiness.

In fact, a study done in the Netherlands and Denmark, where the non-religious are the majority, resulted in much, much lower differences between the two. As the study concludes:

"the question in further research should not be whether religiousness boosts happiness, but in what conditions for what people."

There are just so many variables involved here, namely geographical, that a blanket conclusion that 'religious people are more likely to be happy' is a gross oversimplification.

A sense of community is what I would attribute as being the strongest factor for that argument. Of course, I'm talking purely out of my ass on that thought.

Again, you need to take into consideration the people that claim they're religious, but go to Church 3 times a year.

If you sifted these people the results would change.

Around the Network
Troll_Whisperer said:
Meh. I'm an atheist and I'm the happiest person in the world.

lies!!!! we all know you want to kill yourself

I'm sure it has already been said, but ignorance is bliss. Atheists are more in touch with reality than religious people, so no shit they are happier. It's like believing in santa or not. Atheists statistically also happen to make more money. Somewhere around 10% or something like that.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

osamanobama said:
Troll_Whisperer said:
Meh. I'm an atheist and I'm the happiest person in the world.

lies!!!! we all know you want to kill yourself

Shit. I've been uncovered.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Both make me sad. Third option?

Seece said:

Again, you need to take into consideration the people that claim they're religious, but go to Church 3 times a year.

If you sifted these people the results would change.

Being religious has got nothing to do with the amount of times you go to church in a year.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|