By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GameStop Pulled, Discarded Free OnLive Deus Ex: Human Revolution Coupons (Opened the new copy, removed and discarded free content and sold it as new anyways :O)

Tagged games:

Jdevil3 said:
Some images that were posted in NeoGAF about this event:

They're going to stop selling the opened games and will return them to Square Enix.

The digital wars have begun :P

Once that sealing is opened. Nothing within that case is new. It is automatically changed to a used product.

Around the Network
Wagram said:

Once that sealing is opened. Nothing within that case is new. It is automatically changed to a used product.

Yeah, I agree with that. I really wouldn't like it if I bought a sealed game at a store thinking it's a new copy, and later find out that it was opened and something was removed from it :S.

A banner stolen from some site xD

Release Final Fantasy Versus XIII nowwwwwwwwww!!! lol :P

ain't that some shit...

I don't see the problem. Gamestop would have been screwed either way.
1. They could have not sold the games, but they would have been in trouble with the people that pre-ordered it

Edit: 1.5. They didn't know the cards existed in the first place 

2. They could have started selling passes to a competitors service

either one of these would have been bad. Sure I don't like how they didn't tell anyone, but still. They were caught between a rock and a hard place

scottie said:

Lets say I am a retailer selling bags of brand name candy. However, I would prefer my consumers to not get too full of candy, because then they won't buy more. I open the bags, and take out a fraction of the candy, and then re-seal them. I sell these bags to the customers without telling them of the change.

This is wrong because

It is harmful and misleading for the customer. The customer is expecting the full amount of candy, and receive less than that.

It is harmful for the company that makes the candy - they aquire a reputation for their candy being unsatisfyingly  small in quantity.

That's a horrible comparison. 

It's more like this. You run a store, you get a new product in, that has a coupon for your direct competitor across the street. You have already had customers come in and order said item. And to top it all off, the manufactuer of the item didn't even bother telling you. What do you do now? 

Around the Network
TadpoleJackson said:

I don't see the problem. Gamestop would have been screwed either way.
1. They could have not sold the games, but they would have been in trouble with the people that pre-ordered it

Edit: 1.5. They didn't know the cards existed in the first place 

2. They could have started selling passes to a competitors service

either one of these would have been bad. Sure I don't like how they didn't tell anyone, but still. They were caught between a rock and a hard place

Ok even if Gamestop had no prior knowledge of the promotion being within the product they had NO right to open products, take it out, and then reseal them and call them brand new. THAT is a problem. If they had no prior knowledge the correct move would have been either a.) recall the products (which they are doing now because they realize they fucked up) or b.) sell all the copys at a discount because they are now USED.

TadpoleJackson said:
scottie said:

Lets say I am a retailer selling bags of brand name candy. However, I would prefer my consumers to not get too full of candy, because then they won't buy more. I open the bags, and take out a fraction of the candy, and then re-seal them. I sell these bags to the customers without telling them of the change.

This is wrong because

It is harmful and misleading for the customer. The customer is expecting the full amount of candy, and receive less than that.

It is harmful for the company that makes the candy - they aquire a reputation for their candy being unsatisfyingly  small in quantity.

That's a horrible comparison. 

It's more like this. You run a store, you get a new product in, that has a coupon for your direct competitor across the street. You have already had customers come in and order said item. And to top it all off, the manufactuer of the item didn't even bother telling you. What do you do now? 

Stop buying said product from said company in the future. If I had signed a contract with them saying they weren't allowed to have promotions supporting my competitors then I would take them to court for breech of contract. If I had not signed such a contract (ie the situation gamestop is in) then I would sell the product.

I would not pass the shitty situation onto the consumer (particularly considering how many customers would demand a refund when they find out I didn't actually give them the full product they paid for.)

Honestly, gamestop don't have a leg to stand on. They took a part of the product out of the box, and ocntinued to sell it as new and without telling the customers that they opened the box and removed part of the product.

Now that you know that Gamestop open your products, that means each time you purchase a PC game , gamestop employees have access to the CD key inside the box.....

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Wagram said:

Ok even if Gamestop had no prior knowledge of the promotion being within the product they had NO right to open products, take it out, and then reseal them and call them brand new. THAT is a problem. If they had no prior knowledge the correct move would have been either a.) recall the products (which they are doing now because they realize they fucked up) or b.) sell all the copys at a discount because they are now USED.

Used-

Having already been used

The games haven't been used. 

TadpoleJackson said:
Wagram said:

Used-

Having already been used

The games haven't been used. 

They have been opened. Therefore no longer new and there are only two categories. Used and New. They are not new anymore.