By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Christian's of VGChartz, are you Catholic, Orthodox, Protestant or Non-Denominational? (Edit:Poll fixed)

Which are you?

Catholic 18 16.82%

Orthodox 20 18.69%

Protestant 15 14.02%

Non-Denominational 13 12.15%

Non Christian just wanna see results 40 37.38%

Total:106
ASStronaut said:
huaxiong90 said:
ASStronaut said:
huaxiong90 said:
ASStronaut said:
If I were religious I would keep it to myself incase people thought I was insane.

That's just insecurity on your part.

NO.

No point going around proclaiming your insanity.

Being religious is not insanity if you know how to go about with your business in the real world, as well having a good understanding of your religion and being able to read between the lines.

The second you start attributing literally any bad happening or whatever to the divine and only the divine, is where we have a case of insanity. Like, for example, the people saying America has been hit with storms or whatever because they're not Muslim/they aren't supporting the Israeli regime enough (the second one just boggles my mind).

If you could reason with religious people then there would be no religious people.

I'm not religious but the above statment is offensive

Around the Network
kickazz113 said:
osamanobama said:
i can already tell this thread is getting overrun by atheists trying to demean Christians

(note: not sapphi, he is doing a good job... so far ;-D )

im sad for these who doesnt believe god

I'm sad for those who delude themselves into believing in God. See, it works both ways.

In all honesty, I am fine with religion - what you choose to believe is up to you - but not religious indoctrination or establishmentarianism, both of which are problems in the USA, though thankfully not in the UK, where I live.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

IvorEvilen said:

(On a side note...) Remember guys, it takes at least as much faith to believe in science or any other belief that you may have, so calling someone insane for being religious is not a very intellectual response. In fact, I am sure it would make others, with similar beliefs, upset with you as well.

Believing in science requires no faith. Faith is, by definition, the opposite of reason. Having faith means that you are willing to put reason aside because you want to believe something.

There is no conclusive evidence either way, but omnipotence can be disproven with a quick thought experiment, and you should really default to assuming that something doesn't exist, rather than the reverse - see unicorns, fairies, dragons and so on.

None of this means that religion is bad per se, just that it requires a leap of faith, in stark contrast to agnosticism (of which atheism is really just a subset).

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Can we leave that kind of arguments out of the thread please? This is clearly not what the topic is asking for. And we already have multiple threads for you to argue these things. Go look for them, and leave this thread for those who want to discuss their denominations and what differentiate them with the others.

This is just not the place for yet an other atheists vs theists, or science vs religion debate.

Well I'm mixed. I'm half Protestant and half Sikh. Just to keep it short.

Around the Network

adventist

I was born Catholic, but always felt there was something "wrong" with them. For one, I didn't understand why they still went for infant baptism, when in the Bible, it is clearly written many times that Baptism was a choice made by professing believers. How can a baby profess that he believes? Among others things was the fact that Catholics pray to random saints for different types of blessings. Like saint Christopher, and even the virgin Mary. Yet in the Bible, it is never stated that those "saints" have any power over the living or that they can grant blessings. Jesus is our only way to the Father. Not Mary, not Peter, not John... Only Jesus Christ:  John 14: 6  Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. [...]" Finally, add to all of this the way that, in the churches I went to at least, the prayers we'd recite were always the same, in the exact same order... all of which felt mechanical. Not heartfelt one bit. In my book, something was definitely wrong with how they did things, so I was never compelled to seek God through my contact with them.

Basically, I felt they didn't follow Jesus' teachings the way I understood them.

The woman I love is Baptist and I've learned through my contact with her and her family that Baptists' understanding of Jesus' teachings are exactly as I envisioned it. And they don't have any of those things I had problems with with the Catholics way of seeing things. Yet at first I still wasn't a believer. I just had knowledge of what Christian beliefs were, without believing in any of them.

Something eventually happened to me, of which I will keep to myself. But I was finally "born again".

If you ask me, I will just answer that I'm a Christian. But if you ask what church I attend to, I will tell you I'm a Baptist Christian.

Here is a nice quote from a book, giving an evocative insight about what Baptist Christians are:

Even the briefest glance at early Baptist writings confirms that they sought to draw their teachings directly from Scripture. Other movements may have provided a framework for their understanding, but Baptists never consciously sought to pattern their teaching from these sources. Instead, they consciously and conscientiously sought to draw every teaching and practice from Scripture. Perhaps [John] Shakespeare is too partisan, but he made his point when he wrote that one could wipe out all the religious groups of the seventeenth century, leave an open Bible, and “there would be Baptists tomorrow.”

– H. Leon MacBeth. Four Centuries of Baptist Witness, p. 63

ASStronaut said:

If you could reason with religious people then there would be no religious people.

Wow...that's just offensive and has no basis on reality.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Surprised Orthodox was left out.

Not that I'm a Christian, but I find all kinds of data interesting.

the lack of an orthodox option within joel's poll is not likely an intentional slight

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur