By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - Tony Bennett Expects Lady Gaga to Be 'As Big as Elvis'

Do you agree with Tony Bennett?

yes 20 14.39%

no 65 46.76%

lady gaga has no talent o... 29 20.86%

lady gaga certainly has talent so maybe 9 6.47%

who's lady gaga 16 11.51%

Total:139

This is a joke it will never happened Elvis died 34 years ago and still he gets put up on a pedastool compared to todays talents if she died today do you think that she would be remebered to the extent Elvis is today. He is called the king for a reason and imo I don't think I think she's a good example for people to look up to with her costumes and her songs.

Around the Network

First she'd have to become more than a cheap ripoff of Madonna.

adriane23 said:
Until she can wow a crowd with just herself on stage and no gimmicks for an entire show, I'm gonna go with a no on this. And she'll never be able to buy great songs like he did.

Though, why hold her to higher standards than Elvis? Elvis wasn't even a songwriter like Lady Gaga (who writes, composes, and produces), he was purely a performer.

On the original question. As far as current musicians go, she has a lot of potential - and not the major drug problems of other similar break out artists. I think she'll have greater longevity if she can keep her fingers on the culture pulse and not have some sort of explosion and slide to obscurity like Blondie, or blow her brains out like Kurt Cobain.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

At the risk of angering any Lady Gaga fans, I'll just keep it simple:

Not even close...

One thing to take into account is that singer Mariah Carey actually has more #1 hits than Elvis. I also think that Mariah's accomplishment is more impressive, as she came out as a singer, songwriter, composer, and producer; while Elvis was merely a heavily marketed pop performer - similar to Katy Perry and Britney Spears. She just came out there, and completely wowed the crowds with her impressive perfect pitch singing voice with a range of over 5 octaves. She did it without the wacky suits and dancing too (well, at least until years later in her career); the dancing and the weird get-ups were among the key selling points of Elvis's performances.

Lady Gaga at least is a writer/composer; and I think a lot of the negativity towards her is because of sexism; whenever a female singer gets popular, you see LOTS of detractors trying to bring her down, because they find her threatening. It happens every single time. Mariah Carey is proof that a singer can have more #1 hits than Elvis - even in light of that sexism among music "fans". Lady Gaga doesn't have the same gifts that Mariah had, but then again, neither did Elvis.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

Her penis is bigger than Elvis's, I'm sure.

Jumpin said:
adriane23 said:
Until she can wow a crowd with just herself on stage and no gimmicks for an entire show, I'm gonna go with a no on this. And she'll never be able to buy great songs like he did.

Though, why hold her to higher standards than Elvis? Elvis wasn't even a songwriter like Lady Gaga (who writes, composes, and produces), he was purely a performer.

On the original question. As far as current musicians go, she has a lot of potential - and not the major drug problems of other similar break out artists. I think she'll have greater longevity if she can keep her fingers on the culture pulse and not have some sort of explosion and slide to obscurity like Blondie, or blow her brains out like Kurt Cobain.

Honestly, I'm highly skeptical of any pop singer who claims to write their own songs with what I know about the industry ...

I know a woman who works as a vocal actress because, although she has an amazing voice, she doesn't have an appearance that will work with the modern music or film industry. She is also a singer and songwriter and makes most of her money as a muscian selling songs for artists that "write their own music" because the studios pay better for songs when people give up any claim to the song at all.

I do not liek her as a person and I think I like less most of her fans (not all of them) - However, she is really talented and full of ideas.

I wish her all the best for a long carries.

but I am still thinking does Tony means Big in terms of weight?

Or that she will die with a cheese burger on her hand whilst on a toilet seat and have her life controlled by pills to do anything (i.e pill to sleep/pill to wake up - pill to eat/pill to drink - pill to laugh/pill to cry)?

Switch!!!

These are different times. It's almost impossible to achieve such fame now, so no.

she is very famous, she sells like no other artiest alive today. i dont think she will be as big as elvis because he is a man and people wont accept it.
However she is only 3 years into her career and has sold around 115million records, Madonna is the hishest selling female ever and has sold like 250-300mil in 30 years so Gaga is sure to be the highest selling female ever at the rate.
(im using the madonna example only in record sales, they are NOTHING alike)