By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - Tony Bennett Expects Lady Gaga to Be 'As Big as Elvis'

Do you agree with Tony Bennett?

yes 20 14.39%

no 65 46.76%

lady gaga has no talent o... 29 20.86%

lady gaga certainly has talent so maybe 9 6.47%

who's lady gaga 16 11.51%

Total:139

She's only at 65 million albums sold. She needs to have success similar to The Fame/Monster and Born This Way for another 10 years to get anywhere near Pressley.

I don't think that's going to happen.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

People here can be so naive, Lady Gaga has been nominated for Album of the Year 3 YEARS IN A ROW at the Grammys, in other words 100% of all her work has been recognized by the academy. No other artist has ever achieved this. The Beatles are the only ones to have ever been nominated 3 years in a row.

"She wears crazy shit, she wont last" - tell that to David Bowie, Cher, Madonna, and Grace Jones. She is not wearing homemade garage crap either, she wears high fashion. Its hypocritical to respect a designer's fashion to wear collection and then diss their high fashion collection because an average person wouldn't wear it to go anywhere.

The RIAA (riaa.com database) has her at almost 30million sales in the U.S alone. MTV said the number is 60+ million WW sometime ago http://newsroom.mtv.com/2010/08/12/lady-gaga-los-angeles/ , and that is with 2 and half albums only.

To put things in prospective, Christina Aguilera started her career in the late 90s and has multiple albums stands at 50million WW - www.dailytelegraph.com.au/still-a-fighting-spirit/story-fn6bm8z4-1225973152129

and the top selling female is Madonna with 80+ million in the U.S (riaa.com) who has been at it since the early 80s. That means Lady Gaga has already sold almost 30%ish of that in the U.S (30/80+ million)

Of course, there is one advantage and disadvantage to take note when comparing these two different generations. In the digital era, singles are what people buy instead of albums, and they are much cheaper, and of course the problem of piracy, which has caused the music industry sales to go down overall.

You can hate her all you want, or hate what she wears, or hate to be part of a branded fanbase "Monsters," she is here to stay. Not only has she shown time and time again how respectful she is and to every artist while a lot of people out there talk shit about her, she never addresses these things. It was a different scene when I grew up in the 90s. Madonna talking shit about Whiteny Huston talking shit about Mariah Carey and it went back and forth.

....and on a last note, there is nothing more narrow minded then having a distinct taste in music, which a lot of people seem to seek nowadays. They try to find some music niche and cling to it and call everything mainstream and popular "shit" because they think they are better and have better taste (grunge society anyone?). The irony of it all is this is exactly how Lady Gaga became famous, through a niche of electrodance lovers and her last album alienated them by going all 80s pop rock and country rock.

electrodance is not everyone's cup of tea, voice emulation instead of singing, cheap studio editing tricks. lady gaga sells albums to the masses based on controversy, shock factor, sex appeal. her singing/musical talent is questionable. there are plenty of more talented singers/musicians living and dead that are and have been better than her.

I agree 2011 was not her year.

It was Adele's year but I think Adele is not the type of person to make a lot of music though.

Plus in todays worlds record sales are not the only way to measure popularity on a global scale.

I think with Youtube we get a better picture of what the entire world (minus China lol) likes.

For example mainstream media never talks about Pitbull, but he has done rather well for himself with many super hit songs and collaborations and really got popular through Youtube. That is the case for many artists these days such as those guys who made Party Rock Anthem.

Youtube is interesting, a lot of big hit songs according to the media have far lesser views then other new songs or older songs. I was thinking we could dismiss this as simply a bunch of devoted fans increasing viewcounts but with many videos with 100's of millions of views, the popularity of such songs must be genuine. 

Dark_Lord_2008 said:
electrodance is not everyone's cup of tea, voice emulation instead of singing, cheap studio editing tricks. lady gaga sells albums to the masses based on controversy, shock factor, sex appeal. her singing/musical talent is questionable. there are plenty of more talented singers/musicians living and dead that are and have been better than her.

The day she releases a piano collection it will go #1 easily.

Get back to me when a current pop artist can do this.

Around the Network

I am not she does not have talent.

Actually I think she is better off going more mainstream.

and this is why I read the NYT:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/14/arts/music/at-the-54th-grammy-awards-everything-old-is-praised-again.html?_r=3

I agree with everything Jon said and it was exactly what was going through my mind post Grammys.

Well the article has some points but he failed on two points.

He makes it seem no one cares about Adele and no one watched the Grammies this year.

Adele CD is not only liked by old farts but by everyone and will be one of the few recent cds to sell over 20 million and the recent Grammy Award show was the most watched since 1984.

However, I agree that it sucks that Kayne West and the Foo Fighters and bands like that always dominate Rock and Rap.

I do not know where the love Kayne West comes from, he does not even have a single video over 100 millions views apart from a collaboration with Katty Perry.

HappySqurriel said:
Jumpin said:
adriane23 said:
Until she can wow a crowd with just herself on stage and no gimmicks for an entire show, I'm gonna go with a no on this. And she'll never be able to buy great songs like he did.

Though, why hold her to higher standards than Elvis? Elvis wasn't even a songwriter like Lady Gaga (who writes, composes, and produces), he was purely a performer.

On the original question. As far as current musicians go, she has a lot of potential - and not the major drug problems of other similar break out artists. I think she'll have greater longevity if she can keep her fingers on the culture pulse and not have some sort of explosion and slide to obscurity like Blondie, or blow her brains out like Kurt Cobain.

Honestly, I'm highly skeptical of any pop singer who claims to write their own songs with what I know about the industry ...

I know a woman who works as a vocal actress because, although she has an amazing voice, she doesn't have an appearance that will work with the modern music or film industry. She is also a singer and songwriter and makes most of her money as a muscian selling songs for artists that "write their own music" because the studios pay better for songs when people give up any claim to the song at all.

Considering that she also writes and composes for other artists, and has been doing so for years before the release of her first album, I don't see any reason to be skeptical that she writes her own music as well. A lot of performers, like Elvis, didn't write their own music simply because they didn't have the talent or time for it.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.