By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - Tony Bennett Expects Lady Gaga to Be 'As Big as Elvis'

Do you agree with Tony Bennett?

yes 20 14.39%

no 65 46.76%

lady gaga has no talent o... 29 20.86%

lady gaga certainly has talent so maybe 9 6.47%

who's lady gaga 16 11.51%

Total:139
HappySqurriel said:
PlaystaionGamer said:
HappySqurriel said:
PlaystaionGamer said:

sorry, who said 'albums' i said 'RECORDS' and a record is acounted as an Album or a Single sale. look it up. but yes im very proud in this day and age talented Artiests shine through and she can sell 115million Records

I'm sorry, but it is kind of moronic to compare album sales of an artist historically to single sales today because of how the music industry has changed in recent years ...

It is kind of like comparing the number of people who watch a 5 minute clip on youtube to the number of people who paid to see movie and to claim that Nyan Cat is as important of a "movie" as Gone With the Wind.

thats true, if Lady Gaga had been around 20 years ago then jesus her Record sale would be so much bigger. 

for the record we arnt comparing Album sales from years ago to Singles today.. Madonna sold 250-300mil records.. thats Albums and Singles. Gaga has sold 115million Records.. thats albums and singles. and its alot harder today as people can choose not to pay for it alot easier 

How is it any easier not to pay for an album?

If you go back to before Napster most of the people who would download music without paying would copy their friends' music without paying.

I personally think that on similar popularity levels Lady Gaga's album sales would be far lower 20 years ago. I remember paying $20 (or often more) for a CD in the early 1990s which would work out to being closer to $30 to $40 today, and the fear of paying that much money for an album that only had the 1 good song on it kept people from buying.

it has always been easy to illigaly get music one way or another, but for that many Record sales compared to other people now it shows how massive gaga is and the quality of her albums (which all 3 are amazing) 

Around the Network
lordmandeep said:

your point being??

Its 47,870,960 and 46,358,696 likes.

the fact Shakira has about the same number of fans makes your whole point potintless.

The only thing we learned is Gaga is more popular in the anglosphere while Shakira is more popular in the rest of the world.

Its

My whole point is gaga is huge, but nothing suggesting all time.

Also no she did not sell 100+ million records. Its impossible for an artist these days to do so.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-15340049

Shakira has sold like 70million Records in what, 10 years? Gaga has sold 115million Records in 3 years.. Gaga is ALOT bigger in the rest of the world then Shikira or an other artiest living today. 

HesAPooka said:
lordmandeep said:

No you all cannot read its not 65 million records its 65 million singles.

Anyways lets not makes this a Shakira vs Lady Gaga thread as thier fanbases are quite different. Shakira is popular overseas and thats where her popularity is, Gaga is super popular in North America and such.

Maybe you're right it is singles? but selling 65 million in 4 years is still amazing.
Btw I don't see singles anywhere maybe my eyes are going on me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists#60_million_to_74_million_records

the wiki info is incorrect has has needed updating since just after Bad Romance came out, the total hasnt moved. Interscope have already said on Twitter what she has sold

lordmandeep said:

Okay according to Wiki from the current artists its Rihana with 80 million sales, Beyonce 75 million, Shakira 70 million,
Lady gaga has 64 million sales however that wiki article combines record and single sales.
http://newsroom.mtv.com/2010/08/12/lady-gaga-los-angeles/

These days most people buy singles and we all know Lady Gage has sold tens of millions of singles.

"Explain to me how Shakira almost having as many "Likes" as Gaga makes my point "pointless", please."

Well there are many reason to say to that.

Shakira and other huge female stars became popular before Facebook become super popular and have very high numbers as well.

You were saying lady Gaga having so many likes made her more popular then any female artist and that is true but you make it seem like no one is her equal in popularity and I do not think that is true.

She started huge but the momentum has slowed down. Her intial songs lit Youtube on fire, these days its Pitbull lol.

once again you cant use Wiki data as it hasnt moved since bad romance came out. even from in the incorrect numbers from that BBc post its at 85+ million. but its at around 115million

.:Dark Prince:. said:
HappySqurriel said:
In 5 years I would expect that (somewhere around) 80% of her current fans to be ashamed to admit that they were once liked her ... So I doubt she will be 'as big as Elvis'

Ashamed of what? Of her talent? I agree she's so popular based on part gimmicks and part talent, but the girl has a great voice and she can sing live while dancing, unlike most pop singers today. 

She stands up for the minority, not just in words but in actions too. (See her DADT videos, and the fact that she met with Obama to discuss gay bullying)

Why would anyone be ashamed of being her fan? Because she knows how to sell her songs? If you were given the chance to become a multi-millionare by doing all the wacky shows and clothes etc, you would probably do so. I know I would.

Anyway, she won't be as big as Elvis, based on the fact that compared to her first and second album, Born This Way (the album) is not as mainstream or catchy (bar a couple of songs). And it seems like she's not gonna pursue a dance/pop centric career, but more of a dark pop/rock (at least on the lyric side)

well said

i became a fan BEFORE she was even famous, back in early 2008 when she was performing in small clubs all over the US and i came across some fottage of her on youtube and i showed everyone and told them she would be the biggest star in the world.. look what happened. i will never be ashamed to be her fan. 

im a straight guy and still think its amazing the work she does for DADT. 

Around the Network

I don't understand all this hype about Lady Gaga. She has a great voice, but that's it. Her lyrics are ridiculously pointless are her "style" and behaviour are only there to shock (naive) people and to be "different".

Game of the year 2017 so far:

5. Resident Evil VII
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
1. Super Mario Odyssey

amp316 said:
I love Tony Bennett, but this is what happens when senility kicks in.

Really couldn't agree more.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Elvis was more a performer than a musician. In that sense, Gaga is way way more talented. If her cultural impact is going to be as big as Elvis, I dunno. Most probably wont, since the musical scene is way more diverse right now, not focused on just a couple of stars like in Elvis years.

pwin´ every other villain since 1994

Yeah Mr. Ashtear is most correct.

Its really hard for an artist to do be dominate.

Lady Gaga is at a critical stage. She released a big hit album and her latest is not as popular. Artist either come back with something bigger or slowly fade away.

I think Gaga had a tougher year. Rihana comes up with a hit every few months, JLO likley had the most popular song of the summer, cant argue with half a billion views in less than a year.
Then you have Adele who had all the critical and commercial success this year.

Also until you give me a link I am not believe she sold 115 million records.

There is no way any artist can sell that many records or singles in today's music industry. Fame Monster was huge, Born This Way has around 8+ million album sales according to wiki.

Also we have no idea as the media and wiki are combining records sales and singles into one. Makes it confusing what is what.

So lady gaga is popular but if she does not go back to the level of the fame monster, she will fade away like so many others. I would for her to release something like that again. Me and many of friends really did not care for her last albulm.

.:Dark Prince:. said:
HappySqurriel said:
In 5 years I would expect that (somewhere around) 80% of her current fans to be ashamed to admit that they were once liked her ... So I doubt she will be 'as big as Elvis'

Ashamed of what? Of her talent? I agree she's so popular based on part gimmicks and part talent, but the girl has a great voice and she can sing live while dancing, unlike most pop singers today. 

She stands up for the minority, not just in words but in actions too. (See her DADT videos, and the fact that she met with Obama to discuss gay bullying)

Why would anyone be ashamed of being her fan? Because she knows how to sell her songs? If you were given the chance to become a multi-millionare by doing all the wacky shows and clothes etc, you would probably do so. I know I would.

Anyway, she won't be as big as Elvis, based on the fact that compared to her first and second album, Born This Way (the album) is not as mainstream or catchy (bar a couple of songs). And it seems like she's not gonna pursue a dance/pop centric career, but more of a dark pop/rock (at least on the lyric side)

Fans of every pop singer claim that their pop star can sing unlike other pop singers, but I have yet to hear anything that makes her any better than the vast majority of pop singers.

When I'm talking about people being embarassed it is based on how dated what she did is. Songs like Poker Face are already very dated and it is unlikely that you would find many people who would listen to that often anymore, and it is only 4 years old. Part of this is related to the genre of music she is in (pop-dance) which has very limited lasting apeal, and a large part of this is related to the gimicks she uses to be "cutting edge" and stand out from the pop music crowds decrease the lasting appeal.