By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - Tony Bennett Expects Lady Gaga to Be 'As Big as Elvis'

Do you agree with Tony Bennett?

yes 20 14.39%

no 65 46.76%

lady gaga has no talent o... 29 20.86%

lady gaga certainly has talent so maybe 9 6.47%

who's lady gaga 16 11.51%

Total:139
PlaystaionGamer said:
she is very famous, she sells like no other artiest alive today. i dont think she will be as big as elvis because he is a man and people wont accept it.
However she is only 3 years into her career and has sold around 115million records, Madonna is the hishest selling female ever and has sold like 250-300mil in 30 years so Gaga is sure to be the highest selling female ever at the rate.
(im using the madonna example only in record sales, they are NOTHING alike)

Where is your source for this?

Around the Network

No grammy's for Lady Gaga ... the hype has died massively this past 6 months

Good one, Tony. Nobody will ever be as big as Elvis, he was a one off.

Over-rated, then again, no Grammy for her ^_^

Jumpin said:

One thing to take into account is that singer Mariah Carey actually has more #1 hits than Elvis.

The cast of Glee has more top 100 hits than anyone, recently surpassing Elvis in fact.  Does that mean that they are as "big" or iconic?  This is not to take anything away from Mariah Carey; I don't care for her music but I do think she's talented.  However the point is Tony Bennett's statement.  Elvis wasn't a songwriter or much of a musician other than having a good ear.  But he came out at just the right time with the right look and his charisma and ability as a performer will probably never be matched again; so much has already been done by now and there're so many artists out there now.

Other than the Beatles, the only artist I can think of that even stood a shot was Michael Jackson, and that certainly didn't happen, as the last part of his career (90's onward) was tainted terribly.  Elvis really didn't go downhill until the last couple of years of his career, and that was attributed to drug abuse, which is nothing surprising in the industry compared to Jackson's weirdness.

People come from all over the world to visit Graceland.  There are whole radio stations dedicated to Elvis.  He's a world renowned figure in music history.  Lady Gaga may be popular now, but she will never achieve that.  She won't even leave as much of a lasting impression as Madonna, much less Elvis.

Around the Network
MANUELF said:
PlaystaionGamer said:
she is very famous, she sells like no other artiest alive today. i dont think she will be as big as elvis because he is a man and people wont accept it.
However she is only 3 years into her career and has sold around 115million records, Madonna is the hishest selling female ever and has sold like 250-300mil in 30 years so Gaga is sure to be the highest selling female ever at the rate.

The Fame: 12million sold

The Fame Monster: 12million sold

Born This Way: 8million sold 

Singles from all 3 albums: 86 million Singles. 

these are from Interscope records and a Music tracking site who updates every year. Poker Face & Bad Romance have had 10million sold each alone, Born This Way (single) just hit 9million alone. its crazy what she sells

spurgeonryan said:
I think she is out of ideas. Did anyone see her at the grammy's last night? Nothing too spectacular. I am not even sure I know any songs off of her 3rd album. Her first two were very catchy though.

LOL she is dont with Born This Way (album) and isnt releasing any more singles from it, she has no reason to attract all that attention right now she just didnt put on a massive show, same reason she didnt perform. this time next year she will release her 4th album (she is just finsishing writing it) and she will again show the world what a real performance artiest is and put crap like 'Nicki Minaj, Rihanna & Katy perry' back in there spot. they where such a joke this year aha

PlaystaionGamer said:
MANUELF said:
PlaystaionGamer said:

these are from Interscope records and a Music tracking site who updates every year. Poker Face & Bad Romance have had 10million sold each alone, Born This Way (single) just hit 9million alone. its crazy what she sells

A single is not the same as an album

So, realistically she has sold 32 million albums and (maybe) the equivalent of 8 million albums in singles ... That is quite a bit short of 115 albums.

HappySqurriel said:
PlaystaionGamer said:
MANUELF said:
PlaystaionGamer said:

A single is not the same as an album

So, realistically she has sold 32 million albums and (maybe) the equivalent of 8 million albums in singles ... That is quite a bit short of 115 albums.

sorry, who said 'albums' i said 'RECORDS' and a record is acounted as an Album or a Single sale. look it up. but yes im very proud in this day and age talented Artiests shine through and she can sell 115million Records

PlaystaionGamer said:

sorry, who said 'albums' i said 'RECORDS' and a record is acounted as an Album or a Single sale. look it up. but yes im very proud in this day and age talented Artiests shine through and she can sell 115million Records

I'm sorry, but it is kind of moronic to compare album sales of an artist historically to single sales today because of how the music industry has changed in recent years ...

It is kind of like comparing the number of people who watch a 5 minute clip on youtube to the number of people who paid to see movie and to claim that Nyan Cat is as important of a "movie" as Gone With the Wind.