By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why aren't Sony exclusives/software selling anywhere close to Xbox360?

Icyedge said:
PS3 doesnt sell more software then 360, but it is very successful in selling software, no reason to say otherwise. With a slightly smaller userbase then 360, a lot smaller userbase then Wii, it is able to perform near its competitors. And thats without having the bigger percentage of its userbase in rich countries. Where is the problem?

http://techhall.wordpress.com/2010/03/17/ps3-has-larger-install-base-than-360/

Around the Network
kickazz113 said:
Michael-5 said:
snakenobi said:
Michael-5 said:

The week Black Ops was bundled, PS3 saw a hardware increase of 18% in Americas only. It did not see an increase the week on InFamous 2 or E3, don't tell me Call of Duty bundles don't matter. When the difference is 3% they do. Everything else you said just makes no sense.

THEY DO MATTER BUT JUST SHORT TERM like any other bundles.like the ones 360 got with GTA,HALO,GEARS,etc throughout this gen

stop nitpicking.

Just because 360 has good shooters that sell and except for Uncharted PS3 shooters don't, doesn't mean 360 lack diversification. It just means that shooter fans prefer 360, but the games are still diverse.

not saying 360 lacks diversification,its just that 360 isn't as diverse as PS3 and its sales aren't as spread over.

again stop concentrating on one single detail of what i say.

What trends are you talking about? You claimed PS3 software is higher, yet you were the one ignoring the trend where 360 sells considerably more software in the holidays. 2010 360 software was stronger :P. I proved you wrong and said what I had to say, don't intend on arguing with you further.

sure it does

each console has its times but that is also how much the gap between 360 and PS3 holidays sales was 3 years ago,what was it 2 eyars ago and what was it last year.you can just look at the gaps of COD games.

u didn't prove shit wrong.

i was debating whether 360 sells better on holidays or not,just that the gap is getting small and when we look ta the whole year the 360 doesn't have that much more in the holidays that will compensate the lower sales full year long

Software bundling does matter, for short term yes? Stop nitpicking? The difference between PS3 and 360 software sales is 3%! You stop nitpicking, or at least make a fair annual comparision. You know 360 software is > PS3 in Q3 and Q4, so stop making silly claims.

As for diversification, 360 has just as much or more then Sony. RPG's exclusives sell better on 360 too. 360 also has more racing games, party games, and generally more exclusives of every genre. Sales might be focused on Shooters, RPG's, Party games, and Racing games, but that's only because many of 360's shooters, racing games, RPG's and Party games sell over 5 million units, some well over. How many PS3 exclusives have cross that barrier? PS3's diversification lies in games which sell around 1 million units, and 360 has just as diverse of a selection at that sales point. You point thus makes no sense.

As for proving you wrong, you said PS3 software is greater then 360 software. It isn't, you were wrong and I showed you that. PS3 software may become greater in the future, but you said in the present PS3 software is greater, which is wrong. Yes PS3 is 1,500 more sales now, but Gears of War 3 alone will make up for the difference, nevermind the typically noticably higher sales 360 has in fall. 360 software will be greater in 2011, just like it has been every single year.

As for other trends, let's actually take a look. MW1 sold 50% better on 360 then PS3 correct? Well there was also 76% more 360's on the market then PS3's at the time (thanks to the head start 360 had). MW2 sold 35.8% better on 360 then PS3 correct? Well at the time there were only 15.4% more 360's then PS3s. Account for the difference in consoles and well MW2 sold 9% more units per console on 360 then MW1 did.

Ahh, now you see, the trends do not support you.

Other Trends, The sales difference for AC: Brotherhood is larger then AC2, despite the hardware difference being smaller. This would imply that software is increasing more on 360. This story also holds for Fallout, Battlefield, and others.

which  xbox rpg game, racing game has sold more than 5 million???? huh??? dude get ur fact stright

Forza 3 is at 4.90 million, and will break 5 million very soon. RPG, shouldn't be there, but 360 does have some very successful RPG's. Fable 2 sold over 4 million, and 3 is looking to do the same

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

snakenobi said:
Michael-5 said:
snakenobi said:

another things,PS3 sales are bigger elsewhere where VGC tracking is low whereas 360 software are more accounted for as bigger part is in the US

BS, Microsoft and Sony have quarterly press conferences where they tell the world total console sales worldwide. VGC total figures mimic those numbers. Unless you are claiming MS or Sony are falsifying their numbers, this is completly wrong.

no they don't

MS never disclose SW sales

u surely haven't been following the industry and dunno know what u're talking about

and VGC numbers are sell through and most of the time VGC is left behind as it cannot predict sales in EMEAA correctly

Yes, but VGC have very accurate ways at measuring software totals, and developers (such as Bungie, and Activision) give out sales figures for their games.

As for EMEAA software, over 50% of 360's software lies in Americas, so why does that matter?

You are just looking the change the subject, and downplay me. You are wrong, just accept it and move on. Stop saying I haven't been following the industry because it is you who is inaccuratly looking at trends, and using them to support an incorrect claim.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

snakenobi said:

Michael-5 said:

snakenobi said:
Michael-5 said:

The week Black Ops was bundled, PS3 saw a hardware increase of 18% in Americas only. It did not see an increase the week on InFamous 2 or E3, don't tell me Call of Duty bundles don't matter. When the difference is 3% they do. Everything else you said just makes no sense.

THEY DO MATTER BUT JUST SHORT TERM like any other bundles.like the ones 360 got with GTA,HALO,GEARS,etc throughout this gen

stop nitpicking.

Just because 360 has good shooters that sell and except for Uncharted PS3 shooters don't, doesn't mean 360 lack diversification. It just means that shooter fans prefer 360, but the games are still diverse.

not saying 360 lacks diversification,its just that 360 isn't as diverse as PS3 and its sales aren't as spread over.

What trends are you talking about? You claimed PS3 software is higher, yet you were the one ignoring the trend where 360 sells considerably more software in the holidays. 2010 360 software was stronger :P. I proved you wrong and said what I had to say, don't intend on arguing with you further.

sure it does

each console has its times but that is also how much the gap between 360 and PS3 holidays sales was 3 years ago,what was it 2 eyars ago and what was it last year.you can just look at the gaps of COD games.

i was debating whether 360 sells better on holidays or not,just that the gap is getting small and when we look ta the whole year the 360 doesn't have that much more in the holidays that will compensate the lower sales full year long

Software bundling does matter, for short term yes? Stop nitpicking? The difference between PS3 and 360 software sales is 3%! You stop nitpicking, or at least make a fair annual comparision. You know 360 software is > PS3 in Q3 and Q4, so stop making silly claims.

yes they are but the gap has been reducing and the lead MS has it not able to cover the gap PS3 sales are over the year.

u don't know what nitpicking means,do you?

As for diversification, 360 has just as much or more then Sony. RPG's exclusives sell better on 360 too. 360 also has more racing games, party games, and

yeah,the old genre's,the genre's list has firther diversified.which year are you living in,1995.

we have more detail genre's these days

generally more exclusives of every genre.

what?

Sales might be focused on Shooters, RPG's, Party games, and Racing games, but that's only because many of 360's shooters, racing games, RPG's and Party games sell over 5 million units, some well over. How many PS3 exclusives have cross that barrier?

when did i say anything about barrier?

stop trying to go off-topic

PS3's diversification lies in games which sell around 1 million units, and 360 has just as diverse of a selection at that sales point. You point thus makes no sense.

we are not talking about diversification of sales point but games

As for proving you wrong, you said PS3 software is greater then 360 software.

i was talking as of today not old sales

It isn't, you were wrong and I showed you that.

ooooh i'm scared

PS3 software may become greater in the future, but you said in the present PS3 software is greater, which is wrong. Yes PS3 is 1,500 more sales now, but Gears of War 3 alone will make up for the difference,

we will see where the total SW goes for the FY

nevermind the typically noticably higher sales 360 has in fall.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY TYPICALLY?

sales change over the generation and as by buisiness strategy

360 software will be greater in 2011, just like it has been every single year.

they might but the gap will be even lower leading into bigger sales for PS3 in 2012

As for other trends, let's actually take a look. MW1 sold 50% better on 360 then PS3 correct? Well there was also 76% more 360's on the market then PS3's at the time (thanks to the head start 360 had).MW2 sold 35.8% better on 360 then PS3 correct? Well at the time there were only 15.4% more 360's then PS3s. Account for the difference in consoles and well MW2 sold 9% more units per console on 360 then MW1 did.

sure but that difference was distributed among other PS3 titles as PS3 fans aren't that FPS focused.you can take that as a genre locating system thing

AH,NOW you see

Other Trends, The sales difference for AC: Brotherhood is larger then AC2, despite the hardware difference being smaller. This would imply that software is increasing more on 360. This story also holds for Fallout, Battlefield, and others.

we aren't discussing titles based sales.

was just pointing out that some gap have been made up in title to platform comparision

don't relate total to specific title sales directly,i too wasn't

You did not adress a single point I made.

360 typically sells more software in the holiday season. Meaning 360 sells a higher ratio of software from Q3/Q4 to Q1/Q2 then PS3. 360 has always sold noticably more software in the fall term, and this year it will be no different.

As for diversification, there are over 100 360 exclusives, but only about 60 PS3 exclusives. Of those exclusives, 360 games cover more genres, hence more diversification.

As for other trends, let's actually take a look. MW1 sold 50% better on 360 then PS3 correct? Well there was also 76% more 360's on the market then PS3's at the time (thanks to the head start 360 had).MW2 sold 35.8% better on 360 then PS3 correct? Well at the time there were only 15.4% more 360's then PS3s. Account for the difference in consoles and well MW2 sold 9% more units per console on 360 then MW1 did.

sure but that difference was distributed among other PS3 titles as PS3 fans aren't that FPS focused.you can take that as a genre locating system thing

What the heck does this mean? PS3 fans aren't that FPS focused? Call of Duty is PS3's best selling franchise too! More people are buying Call of Duty for 360 now then PS3 before, you were also wrong about this trend, and didn't even adress my arguement.

As for the end, we were discussing trends in the industry. Per user, more people are playing Assassin's Creed, Fallout, Call of Duty, Battlefield, etc on the 360 then PS3 then they were prior. 360 is showing more signs of software growth then PS3.

If you intend to respond, adress my arguement next time.

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
sales2099 said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
sales2099 said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
sales2099 said:
RolStoppable said:
Mainly because Sony's lineup is built on diversity while Microsoft chooses to brainwash people with their marketing.

That sir is Sony fan made propaganda. 

Numbers dont lie. Global software difference between 360 and PS3 is at about 90 million approx. And im sure that didnt come from the year 360 was out before ps3 released.

This "diversity" is only because Sony has NO IDEA what their demographic wants and is taking shots in the dark. MS on the other hand knows their core audience and what they want....so thats what they deliever. 

Propaganda debunked :)there was non to begin with

srry sir but your wrong. my library is mostly full of PS3 exclusives. the last 3 yrs the PS3's library has been the leader in game buy's in my house with Wii a far second and the 360 totaling only 4 games.

the multiplatform list is small even with back catalog games. very exclusive ip for the PS3 comes first as technicaly its the only console i own. lucky for me the other 2 consoles are in the house so i see a game i want on it. i get it.

You talk like your opinion is the majority held one.....cause it isnt.

If it was then PS3 wouldnt be 3rd place and behind in software sales by 90 million.  ? don't get it. i have no idea wht your trying to point out here. sales mean nothing to me.

well your arguement made it seem like PS3 fans aren't as diverse as they claim! wht are you gettting at? i don't see your point. 

who caress wht console is in third place dud thats a dead issue and the worst argument for your case which i still don't get. you have no idea wht the PS3 fanbase wants so i see your points as irrelevant as your quotes in this thread to me and Rol.

your forgeting one thing. people buy the games they want and its that simple. i know i don't want to see games on a console dedicated to 1 genre. i only hate 2 genres and thats sports and RTS games, and i only hate 1 PS3 exclusive and that white night chronicles.

MS does not no wht there fans want either or i would own more the 4 games for there console. both companies pay other people to tell them wht the markets want and neither of them get it 100% right, so your point there makes no sense either.

are you driving with blinders on cause all you have for proof is numbers and that means nothing. go out and do some real research.

Do some real research? Its about video games......i pity anyone who does any real research concerning serious opinions on pieces of plastic meant solely for entertainment.

I love how you said that sales means nothing to you. Funny since this is a forum dedicated to sales and the thread TITLE is talking about sales. Perhaps you should find a different forum or different thread if sales dont concern you 

The title is asking why Sony exclusives and software arent selling close to 360 and I pointed out the 90 million software gap. Id say thats question answered. 

Why is the gap so big? Could be anyones guess. My opinion is that PS3 gamers just dont care as much. You dont have to agree

why aren't PS3 exclusives/software selling anyware close to 360?

Well then I guess I misinterpreted the title. "Exclusives/Software" = "exclusives and software in general" was what i was thinking. My bad

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
Michael-5 said:
kickazz113 said:
Michael-5 said:
snakenobi said:
Michael-5 said:

stop nitpicking.

sure it does

As for diversification, 360 has just as much or more then Sony. RPG's exclusives sell better on 360 too. 360 also has more racing games, party games, and generally more exclusives of every genre. Sales might be focused on Shooters, RPG's, Party games, and Racing games, but that's only because many of 360's shooters, racing games, RPG's and Party games sell over 5 million units, some well over. How many PS3 exclusives have cross that barrier? PS3's diversification lies in games which sell around 1 million units, and 360 has just as diverse of a selection at that sales point. You point thus makes no sense.

As for proving you wrong, you said PS3 software is greater then 360 software. It isn't, you were wrong and I showed you that. PS3 software may become greater in the future, but you said in the present PS3 software is greater, which is wrong. Yes PS3 is 1,500 more sales now, but Gears of War 3 alone will make up for the difference, nevermind the typically noticably higher sales 360 has in fall. 360 software will be greater in 2011, just like it has been every single year.

As for other trends, let's actually take a look. MW1 sold 50% better on 360 then PS3 correct? Well there was also 76% more 360's on the market then PS3's at the time (thanks to the head start 360 had). MW2 sold 35.8% better on 360 then PS3 correct? Well at the time there were only 15.4% more 360's then PS3s. Account for the difference in consoles and well MW2 sold 9% more units per console on 360 then MW1 did.

which  xbox rpg game, racing game has sold more than 5 million???? huh??? dude get ur fact stright

Forza 3 is at 4.90 million, and will break 5 million very soon. RPG, shouldn't be there, but 360 does have some very successful RPG's. Fable 2 sold over 4 million, and 3 is looking to do the same

lol gt 5 outsold forza and god of war out sold fable

This thread is a perfect example as to why I've started posting less and less on these boards, so many immature posters, it's like commenting on a Rebecca Black Youtube video.

On Topic: I had a similar discussion with Kowenicki a while back, I came up with a lot of numbers and did a fair amount of research and I came up with an easy and fairly obvious answer. When the PS3 gets 20 or more extra exclusives in a year compared to it's competitors, then it's only obvious that the user-base will be stretched thin and it means that chunks will have to be taken out of a few multi-platform games that are released along side those exclusives. Every gaming consumer has a limited budget and this years releases have put considerable amount of strain on the PS3 userbase.

Just as an example, I've bought Little Big Planet 2, Infamous 2, Yakuza 4, Trinity: Souls of Zill Ol, Ar Tonelico Qoga and then on top of all that I've got older releases and a whole bunch of multi-platform titles. I've pretty much already hit my limit for the year and outside of Uncharted 3, Skyrim and maybe Deus Ex, I doubt I'll be picking up other new titles until Christmas or early next year. Had I been a 360 only owner, then my choice of games would be lower, I'd have a lot more money for multi-platform games and I'd have more money reserved for games coming out later in the year.

Add on the fact that the 360 has a stronger userbase in the US and it all seems pretty obvious.

I'd also like to add that anyone who's arguing that the 360 has had anywhere near the amount of diverse exclusive releases in the last few years compared to the PS3 is kidding themselves. This year alone has proven that if you want diversity, then you play on the PS3, otherwise your playing multi-platform games or your waiting for the next Halo or Gears release.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

sales2099 said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
sales2099 said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
sales2099 said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
sales2099 said:
RolStoppable said:
Mainly because Sony's lineup is built on diversity while Microsoft chooses to brainwash people with their marketing.

That sir is Sony fan made propaganda. 

Numbers dont lie. Global software difference between 360 and PS3 is at about 90 million approx. And im sure that didnt come from the year 360 was out before ps3 released.

This "diversity" is only because Sony has NO IDEA what their demographic wants and is taking shots in the dark. MS on the other hand knows their core audience and what they want....so thats what they deliever. 

Propaganda debunked :)there was non to begin with

srry sir but your wrong. my library is mostly full of PS3 exclusives. the last 3 yrs the PS3's library has been the leader in game buy's in my house with Wii a far second and the 360 totaling only 4 games.

the multiplatform list is small even with back catalog games. very exclusive ip for the PS3 comes first as technicaly its the only console i own. lucky for me the other 2 consoles are in the house so i see a game i want on it. i get it.

You talk like your opinion is the majority held one.....cause it isnt.

If it was then PS3 wouldnt be 3rd place and behind in software sales by 90 million.  ? don't get it. i have no idea wht your trying to point out here. sales mean nothing to me.

well your arguement made it seem like PS3 fans aren't as diverse as they claim! wht are you gettting at? i don't see your point. 

who caress wht console is in third place dud thats a dead issue and the worst argument for your case which i still don't get. you have no idea wht the PS3 fanbase wants so i see your points as irrelevant as your quotes in this thread to me and Rol.

your forgeting one thing. people buy the games they want and its that simple. i know i don't want to see games on a console dedicated to 1 genre. i only hate 2 genres and thats sports and RTS games, and i only hate 1 PS3 exclusive and that white night chronicles.

MS does not no wht there fans want either or i would own more the 4 games for there console. both companies pay other people to tell them wht the markets want and neither of them get it 100% right, so your point there makes no sense either.

are you driving with blinders on cause all you have for proof is numbers and that means nothing. go out and do some real research.

Do some real research? Its about video games......i pity anyone who does any real research concerning serious opinions on pieces of plastic meant solely for entertainment.

I love how you said that sales means nothing to you. Funny since this is a forum dedicated to sales and the thread TITLE is talking about sales. Perhaps you should find a different forum or different thread if sales dont concern you 

The title is asking why Sony exclusives and software arent selling close to 360 and I pointed out the 90 million software gap. Id say thats question answered. 

Why is the gap so big? Could be anyones guess. My opinion is that PS3 gamers just dont care as much. You dont have to agree

why aren't PS3 exclusives/software selling anyware close to 360?

Well then I guess I misinterpreted the title. "Exclusives/Software" = "exclusives and software in general" was what i was thinking. My bad

its all good man. you made alot of great points i agree with. you can't deni facts right? and the gap is there. you can't hide a monster number like 90m lol.

Michael-5 said:

You did not adress a single point I made.

360 typically sells more software in the holiday season. Meaning 360 sells a higher ratio of software from Q3/Q4 to Q1/Q2 then PS3.

thats what we are gonna find out.you are just taking the sales that this generation had in the starting thinking nothing has changed and they will apply today

360 has always sold noticably more software in the fall term, and this year it will be no different.

has,we have to see about the future

just look at the gap of last year man

As for diversification, there are over 100 360 exclusives, but only about 60 PS3 exclusives. Of those exclusives, 360 games cover more genres, hence more diversification.

how many of those exclusives and diversification have been like quality of HALO,FORZA,etx not many.

look at sony exclusives and diversification.diversification should not just be because of the name that you port any shit.it should also get recognized

What the heck does this mean? PS3 fans aren't that FPS focused? Call of Duty is PS3's best selling franchise too!

sure but that is also because of pop culture

years ago when guitar hero launched,it sold more on PS platform but other platform also sold big but that was ionly as it became so pop culture to neglect.

on the other hand 360's fan focus on Gears,halo,cod shows you.what other PS3 shooter even sells close to it.

As for the end, we were discussing trends in the industry. Per user, more people are playing Assassin's Creed, Fallout, Call of Duty, Battlefield, etc on the 360 then PS3 then they were prior. 360 is showing more signs of software growth then PS3.

sure but they aren't linked to HW growth and is limited to specific titles

Michael-5 said:

Yes, but VGC have very accurate ways at measuring software totals,

?????

if it can't measure sales at micro level how can it measure at total levels

vgc adjust alot

and developers (such as Bungie, and Activision) give out sales figures for their games.

many do,most don't

As for EMEAA software, over 50% of 360's software lies in Americas, so why does that matter?

thats what i'm saying that 360 SW is more accounted for

You are just looking the change the subject,

lol

you are the one that goes offtopic to prove your point

and downplay me. You are wrong, just accept it and move on.

oh you hurt                            i like it

this isn't a kids game or a fan on fan war.

Stop saying I haven't been following the industry because it is you who is inaccuratly looking at trends, and using them to support an incorrect claim.

what incorrect claims