By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why aren't Sony exclusives/software selling anywhere close to Xbox360?

Joelcool7 said:

I've got to say a large reason has to be the fact that the chart is American as many here pointed out. Microsoft has kicked Sony's butt in America not as bad as Sony kicked Microsoft's ass in Japan but they still got a butt whooping. Also while Sony releases great games each year their multiplatform titles are no match for Microsofts.

Look at Live as a perfect indicator, gamers prefer Live to PSN despite PSN being free. Alot of North American's want to play their games on X-Box Live the service is viewed by many as superior. I myself have played PSN and Live and I'm willing to pay for Live over free PSN. Their are more gamers playing Live then PSN, less glitches and its all round a better experiance.

Then their is the fact that Sony's exclusive content just isn't as good at targetting North America then Microsoft's is. Resistance 3 a key title you mention, I played it and thought it was God awful. Reviews have been mixed but many agree its just another stereotypical shooter that adds very little to the genre.

Halo ads barely anything new to the genre either. But guess what they were the first game to have vehicular combat in a FPS title, where you could hop in and out of vehicles use their mounted weapons etc...etc.. Halo was also the first real console online first person shooter and this lead to an instant popularity. I mean you can mention Unreal Tournament and stuff but Halo truly pioneered online console gaming and X-Box Live which pioneered online on a games console. DreamCast's online was a joke in comparison!

What did Resistance or even Killzone add to the genre? They looked pretty but other then that what did they do new and ground breaking? What did they do to sweep gamers off their feet?

I think all in all the day Sony gets a larger market share in North America, releases some new ground breaking software, give consumers new ways to play and enjoy their products. Then we will see higher sales figures, its funny that some users here brag on how they only buy Sony first party content seriously others say they only buy Sony exclusives. Whats wrong with the third party games? Do you buy them for your X-Box and if you don't why don't you buy them?

Its extremely fanboyish to narrow your gaming library down to one publisher or exclusives to the console of your choice. Your missing out on the rest the industry has to offer.

this unless the other console is just not your cup of jo.

Around the Network
Joelcool7 said:

I've got to say a large reason has to be the fact that the chart is American as many here pointed out. Microsoft has kicked Sony's butt in America not as bad as Sony kicked Microsoft's ass in Japan but they still got a butt whooping. Also while Sony releases great games each year their multiplatform titles are no match for Microsofts.

Look at Live as a perfect indicator, gamers prefer Live to PSN despite PSN being free. Alot of North American's want to play their games on X-Box Live the service is viewed by many as superior. I myself have played PSN and Live and I'm willing to pay for Live over free PSN. Their are more gamers playing Live then PSN, less glitches and its all round a better experiance.

Then their is the fact that Sony's exclusive content just isn't as good at targetting North America then Microsoft's is. Resistance 3 a key title you mention, I played it and thought it was God awful. Reviews have been mixed but many agree its just another stereotypical shooter that adds very little to the genre.

Halo ads barely anything new to the genre either. But guess what they were the first game to have vehicular combat in a FPS title, where you could hop in and out of vehicles use their mounted weapons etc...etc.. Halo was also the first real console online first person shooter and this lead to an instant popularity. I mean you can mention Unreal Tournament and stuff but Halo truly pioneered online console gaming and X-Box Live which pioneered online on a games console. DreamCast's online was a joke in comparison!

What did Resistance or even Killzone add to the genre? They looked pretty but other then that what did they do new and ground breaking? What did they do to sweep gamers off their feet?

I think all in all the day Sony gets a larger market share in North America, releases some new ground breaking software, give consumers new ways to play and enjoy their products. Then we will see higher sales figures, its funny that some users here brag on how they only buy Sony first party content seriously others say they only buy Sony exclusives. Whats wrong with the third party games? Do you buy them for your X-Box and if you don't why don't you buy them?

Its extremely fanboyish to narrow your gaming library down to one publisher or exclusives to the console of your choice. Your missing out on the rest the industry has to offer.

One of the main reasons people play their online games on XBL is because the XBL purchase can be justified by great exclusives (Gears, Halo etc.) and they want to use the service as much as possible because they're paying for it.

If a multiplatform game is superior on Xbox 360 it is obviously a better choice to play it on XBL but when games are equal people just want to get the best bang for their buck with their XBL subscription. Server's don't have any difference at all because they are ALL p2p (peer to peer AKA hosted by a person), PS3 even has more games with dedicated servers.

Currently playing: MAG, Heavy Rain, Infamous

Getting Plat trophies for: Heavy Rain, Infamous, RE5,  Burnout and GOW collection once I get it.

The only XBOX 360 exclusive games that continually sell more than PS3 exclusive games are the HALO series games (And no I don't count Kinect Adventures).

PS3.....Gran Turismo 5 has sold more than Gears of War 2,

360.....Gears 1 sold more than Gran Turismo 5 Prologue.

PS3.....Metal Gear Solid 4 sold more than Forza 3

PS3.....Uncharted 2 sold more than Forza 2

PS3.....Little Big Planet sold more than Fable 2.

So in actually, Excluding Halo games, the PS3 exclusive games sell slightly more than the XbOX 360's.

So the title should say, WHY DON'T SONY EXCLUSIVES OUTSELL HALO.

Halo(s) Outsells all PS3 and XBOX 360 exclusives......but nothing else.

Persistantthug said:

The only XBOX 360 exclusive games that continually sell more than PS3 exclusive games are the HALO series games (And no I don't count Kinect Adventures).

So in actually, Excluding Halo games, the PS3 exclusive games sell slightly more than the XbOX 360's.

EPIC analysis. face palm

they are boycotting Sony ever since FF13 went multi-platform?

:P

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Around the Network
ImJustBayuum said:
Persistantthug said:

EPIC analysis. face palm

Is there something wrong with what I'm saying?

Is it not true or something?

Here are my two hypothesis'(sp?):
Hate to generalize, but I think PS3 owners tend to be more mature. While 360 owners tend to be less mature. I using my friends, coworkers(past and present), being in public and listening to gamers talk and family as my sample. There is more 360 owners that tend to be in the mid to early 20s[14-21]. And there is more PS3 owners that tend to be in the late-early 20's to mid 30's [22-25]. My point? The largest group of 360 owners tend to have way more disposable income. PS3 owners have less as they usually have to worry about car payments, rent or even mortgages, they have full time jobs etc. I go into WalMart and hear the employess (16-18) talking about hew new Halo or Gears. In my family the PS3 owners are my older brother, older cousin & my other cousin's husband. They have rent, kids, and mortgages to pay. They don't have the disposable income that my 16 year old cousin working partime at McDonald's has. The friend's 18 year old brother also has a 360 with
20 some games. He finsihed highschool, didn't go to college and works at a grocery store deli. Has time and money to burn.

Also PS3 attracts a lot more casual and niche gamers. They're less likely to blindly buy what ever the TV ads tell them too.

Half of this thread seems to be filled with fanboyish leaning comments. Interesting to read some of them.