By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why aren't Sony exclusives/software selling anywhere close to Xbox360?

Michael-5 said:
DirtyP2002 said:
Michael-5 said:
DirtyP2002 said:

I am tired of this " OMG! Xbox only has Halo and Gears!!!!111" stuff when the Xbox 360 has one of the biggest libraries in history. I am not saying PS3 exclusives are not selling well. But somehow Sony was not able to create an IP as big as Gears or Halo. Gran Turismo is selling well, but if you look at it without fanboy goggles, GT5 and GT PSP were some of the most disappointing titles this generation. Delay after delay and the final result was just not as brilliant as it used to be. Now the last AAA GT game is 10 years old. GT5 is still a great game though, but not a showstopper. I think Sony makes some mistakes the way they handle their IPs. Marketing is only one point. Timing for example is another.

Well said.

As for GT5, it's a great game, but it's not as breathtaking as older GT's used to be. If all the cars were prenium, then that would be a different story, but to be fair PD did rebuild this game from the ground up (they threw away the old engine).

As for the Sony not being able to creat and IP as big as Gears, that's only true because GT is an old IP. Uncharted did get pretty big though, and so did LBP

I am on this site for some time now. I know there are people who can't argue at all.

Uncharted if a great franchise and a high-quality game and a perfect example of Sonys struggle to create huge IPs. So they have got a great game, but they were not able to create as much buzz outside the gaming media like MS did with Gears. That is something Sony needs to learn from MS.

Well Uncharted 2 is looking to get 5 million sales or so lifetime, and I expect Uncharted 3 to do the same. For a game which isn't multiplayer focused, that's still pretty damn good. Mass Effect (another story rich shooter....mix), never saw sales that strong when it was 360 exclusive.

Still you are right, Sony needs to learn how to market better, and time their releases better. I'm not sure if having a release so close to Call of Duty is a smart idea, especially since it's so late in the holiday season. MS moved all it's major franchises to Sept/October release dates, and damn Halo, Gears, Forza, and Fable seem to be doing great. Had GT5 had a solid release date (which wasn't delayed 2 weeks before launch), it would have sold a lot better, without any changes in quality.

However when you think about it. More then 50% of the 360 audience is in Americas, and outside of US and Canada 360 has clear dominance in select regions (UK, Australia, etc). MS only has to advertize hard in a few countries to generate sales. Sony has to advertize all over Europe, as well as Americas, so I can understand it being difficult.

I dont know why people say its marketing.  I guess because they conclude if it wasnt marketing it would have to be anohter reason they might not like.  I think its more game genre then marketing.  Sony needs to put more resources in to making good First Person Shooters.

Marketing? how about this.. you're a 10 yr old.. and you see a commerical for Gears of War..versus Forza .. both 360 titles.. marketing either is no different.. both have commericals and sound tracks.. but honestly to most people seeing cool badass soldiers carrying cool weapons and destroying bad guys WILL LOOK MORE EXCITING compared to driving a race car.... Yeah to some driving the race car is more fun, but If you look at MS marketing both.. One game just SEEMS more exciting..  This comparison is possibly more clear.. Gears versus another race title but this one ( Forza ) on 360.. Forza solld respectable ( about 4 million, which is 2 million less then GT 5  ) .. So I again think when you go back to the "Exclusives" argument you have to look at TYPE ( GENRE ) of games Sony has.. and say Sony can continue to market variety or look at the obvious- which is FPS's  just happen to sell that good on any console.. so they need to work on that..

Around the Network

First off there are more 360s sold than PS3s so that explains why most older multiplatform games have sold more on 360.

Now to why the PS3 exclusives for the most part don't sell like 360 exclusives. Microsoft likes to bundle their games like Halo and Forza. Also PS3 has a larger variety of exclusives, where as 360 is mainly Gears, Halo and Forza. Sony has more exclusives even though they sell in the 2-4 million range except Gran Turismo 5 and Metal Gear Solid 4 for obvious reasons. some people like inFamous, some people like Ratchet some like Resistance, some like Uncharted, KillZone, Motorstorm, Littlebigplanet, etc. There is a lot more to choose from so the money is spent in many different places as opposed to just Halo/Gears/Forza.

That's just my opinion though.

Ali-Kharazi said:

First off there are more 360s sold than PS3s so that explains why most older multiplatform games have sold more on 360.

Now to why the PS3 exclusives for the most part don't sell like 360 exclusives. Microsoft likes to bundle their games like Halo and Forza. Also PS3 has a larger variety of exclusives, where as 360 is mainly Gears, Halo and Forza. Sony has more exclusives even though they sell in the 2-4 million range except Gran Turismo 5 and Metal Gear Solid 4 for obvious reasons. some people like inFamous, some people like Ratchet some like Resistance, some like Uncharted, KillZone, Motorstorm, Littlebigplanet, etc. There is a lot more to choose from so the money is spent in many different places as opposed to just Halo/Gears/Forza.

agreed

kickazz113 said:
kain_kusanagi said:
I'm not sure if this is the main reason, but PS3s got bought by tons of people who intended only to use them as Blu-Ray players. People who buy Xbox 360s intend to use them for games exclusively. It's very possible that there are millions of PS3s sitting next to TV and never play any games because their owners aren't gamers and never buy or pre-order games at all. Like I said I can't say for sure, but it's a possibility.

thats the excuse for all you xbox fanboys, you should be ashame of yourself

You should be ashamed for insulting a fellow member.

You don't know me and my post wasn't inflammatory, it's a legitimate reply to the original topic's question.

Because Xbox software is what gamers need.

PS3 exclusive are what Sony thinks they want.

Around the Network

Wow I have never been quoted so many times in a thread before.
Some of these posts make me ashamed to be a Sony supporter. In that Xbox360 exclusive list the arcade titles were included which isn't the point of this thread.
People make it seem like 360 is miles ahead of the PS3 but from launch PS3 has sold more hardware and software. The 360 did an incredible job this generation and will learn a lot going to the next one just like Sony has and will.

PSN: Saugeen-Uwo     Feel free to add me (put Vg Chartz as MSG)!

Nintendo Network ID: Saugeen-Uwo

Ali-Kharazi said:

I dont think that explains it all.. the userbase of the two consoles it too close .. ALot of folks like my brother do have all 3 consoles.. although you can't say this for certain either.. some people use their PS3 possibly as a bluray player.. because before BD playrs dropped in price, the PS3 was the best value to have a gaming console and a BD player.. for a couple yrs it will cheaper to buy the PS3 is a BD player then to buy a standalone BD player.. yet I seriously doubt that many people did this and yet I think about how many friends I knew bought the PS2 with the reason they could play DVD's.. but back then everyone owned a PS2

Ali-Kharazi said:

I dont think that explains it all.. the userbase of the two consoles it too close .. ALot of folks like my brother do have all 3 consoles.. although you can't say this for certain either.. some people use their PS3 possibly as a bluray player.. because before BD playrs dropped in price, the PS3 was the best value to have a gaming console and a BD player.. for a couple yrs it was cheaper to buy the PS3 as  a BD player then to buy a standalone BD player.. yet I seriously doubt that many people did this and yet I think about how many friends I knew bought the PS2 with the reason they could play DVD's.. but back then everyone owned a PS2

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Ali-Kharazi said:

agreed

Console makers DO BUNDLE their best selling games with consoles because those high demand games can help sell a console - and in turn the console maker usually gives the buyer a discount over if they bought the console and game seperately.  So its a win win situation for parents buying a holiday gift.  But best selling games exclusives for PS3/Xbox sell the majority of their games without being bundled.. so it really doesnt explain why some exclusives sell more.. and EVEN IF THEY ARE BUNDLED it doesnt explain it either.. because consoles come bundled with different games.. and someone wont buy a bundle unless they do like the game..They will instead buy the console and game seperately - forfeiting the 30 dollar discount- but getting what they want.   You can go to Best buy and buy a PS3/Xbox 360  bundled with one game or another.. they have multiple bundles especially at Christsmas...

Also PS3's #1 and #2 best selling game is  .... COD.... NOT at all UNLIKE XB360's best selling titles.. COD, HALO, GEARS..  the difference to me is MS is an American company.. they understand gaming has shifted to the west ( which includes America, Canada, and much of western Europe )... In these areas.. kids buy mostly ANY good FP Shooter and MS is more pro-active to this demand .. Sony is a Japanese Company and as a company Sony and its developers have not fully embraced this fact.  Until Sony does this, another company ( in this case Activision - with COD ) will continue to profit more then Sony.  Sony could OWN AND PROFIT with its own 'Halo' eating up the charts as MS does,  but because it seems they haven't  embraced that more develpment should be emphasized more strongly on the fact they dont have a 'Gears' or Halo of their own in an era where the youngest kids would rather play FPS's.  Right now Bungie is making new games for Activision.. I suspect Activision will continue to dominate the charts on PS3 and Xbox.. So everytime I read a theory - usually from a PS3 fan trying to reason "why?"  - that the NUMBER of exclusives is why Halo or Gears sells so well I either laugh or get annoyed.  MS has plenty of exclusives.  You only need enough to meet demand .. Developers only make games to profit..   The exclusves that sell well have served their purpose no matter what genre they are... the remaining ones that sell a million copies just end up "as proof we have more exclusives" that exist but didnt serve the intended purpose of being such a great game that they make the bundle of cash that the developer & game publisher had hoped for!  Contrary to popular belief games are made to sell alot of copies, not to exist and barely make a profit .. Anytime a game developer and publisher do not sell alot of copies there is a sense of failure.. They dont sit around and say "Gee, Im just glad we sold a million world wide to the obvious weirdo's and outcast of the world - because its obviously we somehow didnt please the majority of gamers who arent buying our product" ( AKA Duke nukem on 360 which proves kids wont buy any FPS that exist)

Again, COD is PS3's #1 and #2 dominating title.. If Halo were also on PS3 it would one of PS3 top 5 titles.. its all about supply and demand.. yes, plenty of people still love racing games.. and role playing games, but for most 10 to 18 yr old kids they would rather have the adrenaline rush of a  COD.. So to me the difference has much less to do with Exclusives, which MS has enough of.. Its just that MS understood sooner that they needed some FPS style exclusives they owned and controlled and they do .. if Sony owned Gears and Halo they would be eating up the charts.. because whatever console you own ( or be it all three consoles if you can afford it ) ..it CLEARLY has nothing to do with the console and everything to do with the game:  People buy the console to play the games they like - They dont buy the games simply because they like the console - unless they are complete fanboys and fools of course.

Also another thing PS3 and Xbox 360 have in common.. both COD (on both systems) as does Halo -- have the BEST ONLINE MULTIPLAYER PLAY.. Halo which has been around the longest ( HALO CE existed about 2 yrs before COD ) had the perfect formula for online play to be addicitive.. COD has taken this formula and incorporated it into their game.  Thats why COD and Halo style games dominate.. online alone makes it happen.. to me its no coincidence that the BEST selling console games on any system also have the best online play.. that keeps people playing them !! Thats why kids play them over and over..and keep buying COD AND HALO..

kickazz113 said:
kain_kusanagi said:
I'm not sure if this is the main reason, but PS3s got bought by tons of people who intended only to use them as Blu-Ray players. People who buy Xbox 360s intend to use them for games exclusively. It's very possible that there are millions of PS3s sitting next to TV and never play any games because their owners aren't gamers and never buy or pre-order games at all. Like I said I can't say for sure, but it's a possibility.

thats the excuse for all you xbox fanboys, you should be ashame of yourself

Reported for flaming