By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New Redesigned Wii coming this holiday! Update: Current Wii will be discontinued + photo

Tagged games:

I don't understand why the gamers are upset with this. I mean if you wanted a wii with gamecube support and all that wouldn't you have bought it already? Wii has been pretty cheap as of late. I mean this bundle is targeting casual gamers who don't care about the gamecube at all. Thats like saying people who bought the ps2 in 2007 got it to play PSX games.

It is way too late in the Wii life for people to complain about disabled backwards compatibility. Whoever wanted a Wii that really wanted one could have gotten it way before now. This bundle was made for people who want to play WII games not people who want to play games from over 5 years ago.

Around the Network
UltimateUnknown said:

A skyward sword bundle with motion plus (maybe Wii sports resort as well) would be pretty nice. But don't know if there would be any demand for that.

And make it gold colored,and I think there will be demand for it, Ocarina of time 3DS is selling well, and I reckon a bundle with wii sports and wii sports resort shall help.

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

pokeclaudel said:

I don't understand why the gamers are upset with this. I mean if you wanted a wii with gamecube support and all that wouldn't you have bought it already? Wii has been pretty cheap as of late. I mean this bundle is targeting casual gamers who don't care about the gamecube at all. Thats like saying people who bought the ps2 in 2007 got it to play PSX games.

It is way too late in the Wii life for people to complain about disabled backwards compatibility. Whoever wanted a Wii that really wanted one could have gotten it way before now. This bundle was made for people who want to play WII games not people who want to play games from over 5 years ago.

For me, it's not about what we would get, but that Nintendo is taking features away for other people.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

I will buy it and keep it sealed, just to add it to my collection.

i will still use my Wii, i have to many virtual console games to give it away.

Switch!!!

LordTheNightKnight said:
pokeclaudel said:

For me, it's not about what we would get, but that Nintendo is taking features away for other people.

Well it seems to be happening quite often lately. Sony removed PS2 BC from the PS3, Nintendo removed the GBA slot when the DSi released, Sony is removing Wi-fi from that new PSP model (Europe only?), and now Ninty with this no GC BC Wii. Microsoft hasn't added any new xbox 1 games to the BC list in a long time, but they haven't taken anything off there either.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

Around the Network

Actually it seems like the "new" Wii measures exactly the same as the original Wii and has ports and buttons in the same places. The only difference is that it'll remove the GC compatibility.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-23-new-wii-same-size-as-current-model

While you can argue it's doable because most people didn't use them, it still feels like a cheap troll.

Customer: "Hello, is this Nintendo customer service?"

Nintendo: "Yes it is, how can we help you?"

Customer: "Hey, I just purchased a Wii along with Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros. and I am confused about on thing."

Nintendo: "And that would be?"

Customer: "How do I use the Gamecube controller? The back of the boxes say that I can use them for these two games but I can't figure out how."

Everyone knows Gamecube MKWii > Wiimote MKWii. Same goes for Smash Bros.

Anyways, will these games get redesigns on their boxes too to avoid confusion?

Yes, I know most GC compatible games use the Classic Controller so the issue isn't THAT bad, but I never really liked the Classic controller and am too cheap to buy a CCPro.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

smbu2000 said:

Well it seems to be happening quite often lately. Sony removed PS2 BC from the PS3, Nintendo removed the GBA slot when the DSi released, Sony is removing Wi-fi from that new PSP model (Europe only?), and now Ninty with this no GC BC Wii. Microsoft hasn't added any new xbox 1 games to the BC list in a long time, but they haven't taken anything off there either.

Well the way that they justify this is when you originally buy a console or handheld, they know perfectly well there is not a ton of games out for it.  So what do they do?  Release a console that is compatible with past games, of course.  You then have hundreds of games at your disposal, plus any new games.

Well, as the console matures, there begins to be a LOT of games on the new console.  There is really no reason to include backwards compatibility any longer, as people should have no issue finding plenty of games that will appeal to them.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

I still care for GC compatibility.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Euphoria14 said:

Customer: "Hello, is this Nintendo customer service?"

Nintendo: "Yes it is, how can we help you?"

Customer: "Hey, I just purchased a Wii along with Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros. and I am confused about on thing."

Nintendo: "And that would be?"

Customer: "How do I use the Gamecube controller? The back of the boxes say that I can use them for these two games but I can't figure out how."

Everyone knows Gamecube MKWii > Wiimote MKWii. Same goes for Smash Bros.

Anyways, will these games get redesigns on their boxes too to avoid confusion?

Yes, I know most GC compatible games use the Classic Controller so the issue isn't THAT bad, but I never really liked the Classic controller and am too cheap to buy a CCPro.

Yeah I thought about it too. We are lucky CCs doesn't plug directly into the console through GC ports (even though their wireless is downright cheap). Otherwise I can't help but agree with Rol about Nintendo coming very close to self-sabotage at times.