By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What does being athiest mean to you?

brendude13 said:
Jay520 said:
Athiest: Has full belief that there is no god.
Thiest: Has full belief that there is a god.
Agnostic: Believes that there is not enough evidence to have full belief in either of the above.

I think there should be another definition for "Somebody who doesn't give a shit because we don't know and will never know."

we will never know alot of things but we do think of something

where do you think the world came from

Around the Network

Atheists & theists? You know their similarities? They don't believe in what the other side believed in and both parties aren't as open-minded as the agnostic folks.

I lack belief in any sentient higher guiding power ("God"). That's atheism.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

pearljammer said:

I cannot, for the life of me, understand what you mean at all here. 

i meant that if you think death is an order then how come we theorize that big bang created the world as there would have to somebody befor it.

What do you mean by funtional? Do mean meaning or importance? Or do you actually mean functional (biological)?

If by meaning, well the answer is simple: We simply strive to be better people (by a numerous of means) for the benefit of both ourselves and others - no different than anyone else.

If by functional, the answer is blatantly obvious: To pass on our gene pool to continue our species... I refuse to believe this is what you meant.

by functional i meant our conscience

To me, it means that the power is in my hands. I control my destiny and I'm responsible for my own happiness and well being. Simple as that.

Around the Network

snakenobi said:

1. i meant that if you think death is an order then how come we theorize that big bang created the world as there would have to somebody befor it.

2. by functional i meant our conscience

1. But that would then be cyclical. If we're going to take the huge leap that something must've created what is, why not go one step further and say that the creator must have its own designer.

Sure one could make the argument that a god would not need a creator, but then why not save one assumption and simply say that a universe needs no creator? Read the link I gave on Occam's razor in my previous post - that should clarify things if I'm not articulating it well enough.

2. So, I'll replace the word functional with conscience:

So please tell us in detail what it means to be an atheist and how is life supposed to be conscience without reincarnation or how it just continues to be how it is

I'm sorry, I don't mean to come off as a jerk, but I still don't understand.

Troll_Whisperer said:
Being an atheist means being a non-believer. I don't believe in a god. That's it.

That is not accurate.

Being an atheist is the belief that God doesn't exist. But it's still a belief.

Agnostics are the ones who can call themselves non-believers.

Being athiest means I am the best at being athy.

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

freedom of belief without judgement. or non denominational.

Rainbird said:
To me, it means that the power is in my hands. I control my destiny and I'm responsible for my own happiness and well being. Simple as that.

But to control your destiny means you weren't hit by something unexpected in your life. Are you saying you were responsible for anything that surprised you?