By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What does being athiest mean to you?

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
freedom of belief without judgement. or non denominational.

I don't think your co-atheists practiced your belief.

Around the Network
snakenobi said:

Alot of VGCians call themselves atheist but what does it really mean to you?

It seems alot of people are calling them atheist these days but they don't know what it mean to be one.

They do it as they believe in the modern culture and want to be a part of it.Many also do it as they think themselves to be knowledgeable being one as alot of scientist call themselves atheist.

Alot of people who call themselves atheist think of the big bang as creation but never question it which itself means that you are not an atheist and think that the day we die the world ends for us and we will be no more than stardust.

The problem here is that atheist mainly go according to the order of the things in our world and how we give material things so much importance.We never realize the consciousness that is at play and if the order of things was correct then life has to reincarnate as that will be the cycle.

So please tell us in detail what it means to be an atheist and how is life supposed to be functional without reincarnation or how it just continues to be how it is

It's called reality/end thread.

Boutros said:
Troll_Whisperer said:
Being an atheist means being a non-believer. I don't believe in a god. That's it.

That is not accurate.

Being an atheist is the belief that God doesn't exist. But it's still a belief.

Agnostics are the ones who can call themselves non-believer

way to split hairs there. It's like 98% the same thing.

Boutros said:
Troll_Whisperer said:
Being an atheist means being a non-believer. I don't believe in a god. That's it.

That is not accurate.

Agnostics are the ones who can call themselves non-believers.

Agnosticism is the belief that it can't be known if god exists or not. You can be an atheist or a theist and still be an agnostic.

kurasakiichimaru said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
freedom of belief without judgement. or non denominational.

I don't think your co-atheists practiced your belief.

srry i gave impression that im an atheist but my religion is the marcus d jackson religion which is to believe in whts logical and possible and if it makes sence then go with it but if it doesn't dismiss it.

now to answer your question its that freedom to not beleive in anything if chosen to do so, so its more about choice then anything else absent of the house(church) were each religions specific set of rules with the back hand liars that judge with'n the church where sin breeds.

Around the Network

Atheism is a good start if you want to look for god without anyone telling you how

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Rath said:
Boutros said:
Troll_Whisperer said:

That is not accurate.

Agnosticism is the belief that it can't be known if god exists or not. You can be an atheist or a theist and still be an agnostic.

We're like the grey jedis.

So please tell us in detail what it means to be an atheist and how is life supposed to be functional without reincarnation or how it just continues to be how it is

Eh? Do you need to believe in the after-life in order to have a functional life?

I just can't believe in the existence of a higher being, who controls our destiny. When you die, thats it.

It means that I don't believe in a supernatural power or being that can break natural laws.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Rath said:
Boutros said:
Troll_Whisperer said:

That is not accurate.

Well yeah but the way you say it everything is a belief. Agnostics is what could be considered as the closest to being a non-believer.