By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - DS vs 3DS Sales Aligned Launches 1st year edition

How will 3DS do compared to the DS in its first year?

3DS will win 468 54.55%

DS will win 199 23.19%

Netrual 33 3.85%

It will be close 78 9.09%

See poll Results 76 8.86%

Total:854
NintendoPie said:
Salnax said:
NintendoPie said:
Salnax said:

The sales becoming bad should never be a problem. What I'm worrying about is where the next BIG game comes. Other than prehaps Animal Crossing, which IMO is going to see a Nintendogs-like drop in sales from last generation due to games like Farmville, none of those games I mentioned will sell in the same league as Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 did. I suppose the first proper Pokemon RPG, be it Gray version or Gen 3 remakes, could sell the 3DS in huge numbers this holiday, and the hypothetical Zelda 3DS could be a big deal, but besides that, I not sure where the next huge title is coming from.

As for third party games... they'll sell alright, but even on the DS, only two titles ever sold over 5 million units: Dragon Quest 9 and Cooking Mama. Three titles if you count Professor Layton, which ought to end up around there. It's going to be years until we possibly see Dragon Quest 11, the Cooking Mama crowd is largely on the iOS devices nowadays, and breakout hits like Layton only happen once a generation.

At this point, 2012 looks like it will be generally better than 2011 for the 3DS, but it will still be relying heavily on 2011 titles like Mario Kart, Mario 3D Land, OoT, and Nintendogs.

I think Pokemon, AC, and LM2 could be pretty big titles for the 3DS. Especially LM2 because of the huge following Luigi's Mansion has now. Pokemon would sell ridiculous amounts and probably sell around the same or a little better than Pearl and Diamond since they are the first Main Series Pokemon game on the DS and if they release Grey on the 3DS that would be a great move since i have seen many people grumbling that they want Grey and that would practically force them to buy the 3DS if it is put on there. Ruby and Sapphire re-makes would be a great idea too.

I agree that Pokemon and Animal Crossing are big titles, but I'm not so sure about Luigi's Mansion. Sure, the original game sold 3.5 million copies, but it was Nintendo's only launch title for the system. Critically speaking, the game had merely good reviews, hovering around 75% or 80%. Not that many people are going to pick up a 3DS to play the sequel.

It does seem to have pretty good pre-order sales for a non release dated game. And it seems to have a pretty big following, did you hear all the FanBoy screems when it was announced at E3 2011? XD

Preorders are nice, but the big sellers often don't have as many of them as you'd expect. They have sales over the period of months and years, not just a strong week followed by some wimpy legs. And honestly, consideirng how boring last E3 was in terms of new games, the fanboys would have cheered for almost anything.

Love and tolerate.

Around the Network
Salnax said:
NintendoPie said:
Salnax said:
NintendoPie said:
Salnax said:

The sales becoming bad should never be a problem. What I'm worrying about is where the next BIG game comes. Other than prehaps Animal Crossing, which IMO is going to see a Nintendogs-like drop in sales from last generation due to games like Farmville, none of those games I mentioned will sell in the same league as Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 did. I suppose the first proper Pokemon RPG, be it Gray version or Gen 3 remakes, could sell the 3DS in huge numbers this holiday, and the hypothetical Zelda 3DS could be a big deal, but besides that, I not sure where the next huge title is coming from.

As for third party games... they'll sell alright, but even on the DS, only two titles ever sold over 5 million units: Dragon Quest 9 and Cooking Mama. Three titles if you count Professor Layton, which ought to end up around there. It's going to be years until we possibly see Dragon Quest 11, the Cooking Mama crowd is largely on the iOS devices nowadays, and breakout hits like Layton only happen once a generation.

At this point, 2012 looks like it will be generally better than 2011 for the 3DS, but it will still be relying heavily on 2011 titles like Mario Kart, Mario 3D Land, OoT, and Nintendogs.

I think Pokemon, AC, and LM2 could be pretty big titles for the 3DS. Especially LM2 because of the huge following Luigi's Mansion has now. Pokemon would sell ridiculous amounts and probably sell around the same or a little better than Pearl and Diamond since they are the first Main Series Pokemon game on the DS and if they release Grey on the 3DS that would be a great move since i have seen many people grumbling that they want Grey and that would practically force them to buy the 3DS if it is put on there. Ruby and Sapphire re-makes would be a great idea too.

I agree that Pokemon and Animal Crossing are big titles, but I'm not so sure about Luigi's Mansion. Sure, the original game sold 3.5 million copies, but it was Nintendo's only launch title for the system. Critically speaking, the game had merely good reviews, hovering around 75% or 80%. Not that many people are going to pick up a 3DS to play the sequel.

It does seem to have pretty good pre-order sales for a non release dated game. And it seems to have a pretty big following, did you hear all the FanBoy screems when it was announced at E3 2011? XD

Preorders are nice, but the big sellers often don't have as many of them as you'd expect. They have sales over the period of months and years, not just a strong week followed by some wimpy legs. And honestly, consideirng how boring last E3 was in terms of new games, the fanboys would have cheered for almost anything.

I thought Nintendo announced quite a few games at E3 2011. Anyway, very true. I think this game will have good legs at least if it opens up at 150K, that means there are still a lot of potential customers out there. 

on its 5th week
DS 575947
3DS 399731
PSP 58981
PSV 19756

Sales after 5th week
DS 2,595110 mln
3DS 1,146471 mln
PSV 0,547491 mln
PSP 0,527869 mln

So PSV will be just fine!

Go on SONY!!!! We need you!

Switch!!!

I think the 3DS won't sell as well as the DS cuz of the mobile phones... It'll still sell a ton, just not 150m...

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network

Damn, I missread... Of course the 3DS gonna outsell the original DS in it's fisrt year - the interesting question is if 3DS will outsell the DS in the long run!

RolStoppable said:
fedfed said:

No, it won't and no, we don't.

Comments like this makes me wanna have a "like-button" :)

RolStoppable said:
fedfed said:

No, it won't and no, we don't.

come on competition is good!

If Vita will die, will be much less fun in the forum.

i want 3DS to win the generation YES -- but fighting for it.

Switch!!!

DS stays the same 3DS goes down. The gap is close now

DS on its 48th week 3DS by its 48th week
160,072 246,326

3DS outsells DS by +86,254

*DS numbers are from Ocober 22nd 2005

DS by 48 weeks 3DS by 48 weeks
7,739,345 15,570,118

3DS ousells DS by +7,830,773

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Unfortunately in some weeks DS will start outselling 3DS due to the holiday season...and this will last 'till the end of the FY. Adjustements for 3DS could come too after Nintendo released its numbers...anyway great performance for its first year, with a 2D Mario and some other Pokemon games, it should be fine next FY too.

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Xenoblade (Wii), Super mario 3D land (3DS), Guild Wars (PC)