By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii is on track to surpass the Game Cube this month

Neos said:
Zucas said:
Well let's see. Except for Japan, next week's sales data should be way down, meaning it'll be selling at its previous 250k-300k a week marks, unless of course they really are ramping up production then it could be in the 400k range.

Either way we'll round GC sales numbers off to 22 million, meaning it needs 2.8 million more sold. Next week data should be 600k, followed by some 300k-400k. So I'd say somewhere in mid Feburary that it can probably surpass its predecessor.

When will it pass GC American numbers. Summer 2008 most likely.

earlier. brawl

Well Wii is 4.2 million behind the GC in the Americas.  Wii last year only sold like 7.5 million in America.  Meaning my Summer 2008 prediction is quite a stretch as it is, I'm just assuming that America is going to get a huge increase in shipments, especially in the early part of the year.  But the most reasonable prediction for this accomplishment is somewhere in Q3 2008, or July through September. 

Around the Network
TWRoO said:

N64 lifetime shipments----- 32.93 million (This will be pretty much exactly the sales)

GC lifetime shipments ----- 21.59 million (as of March 07, I don't think Nintendo shipped any more since then though)

GC total sale according to VGC 21.51 million (so rounding to 22 million is a bit of a stretch Zucas)

Well through September 2007, GC had 21.66 milllion shipped, so I just rounded up to 22 million.  I guess its a little bit of a stretch but it would only make the difference of a week. 

I'm still amazed by how fast the Wii is selling. However if Nintendo still doesn't produce more wiis than 1.8 million a month then I doubt it will pass it within a months' time. Maybe month ½ perhaps?

what is amazing is that fact that Nintendo made alot of money on the GC. Mostly due to the fact 1st party games sold very well(attach rate)

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

GameCube > Wii IMO

Around the Network

People criticise the gamecube, I still have mine, way better thaan the PS2 in my opinion, good to see the wii see going strong.

Gamecube was the best. I played it more than PS2 by a lot. Esp SSBM and MKDD. I think another month or so and Wii will surpass Worldwide and in America, I agree - around summer

Zucas said:
TWRoO said:

N64 lifetime shipments----- 32.93 million (This will be pretty much exactly the sales)

GC lifetime shipments ----- 21.59 million (as of March 07, I don't think Nintendo shipped any more since then though)

GC total sale according to VGC 21.51 million (so rounding to 22 million is a bit of a stretch Zucas)

Well through September 2007, GC had 21.66 milllion shipped, so I just rounded up to 22 million.  I guess its a little bit of a stretch but it would only make the difference of a week. 

So Nintendo did ship more after March... not anything astounding but I thought they had stopped production (perhaps that was the last of Nintendos stock)

Feb. 2009 Wii passes N64 worldwide sales.

"Like you know"

rudyrsr8 said:
Feb. 2009 Wii passes N64 worldwide sales.

lol wut? N64 sold approximately 32.8-32.9 million according to someone above. Are you implying that the Wii will sell less than 14 million consoles in 2008? I expect 2008 to beat 2007 Wii sales. Your prediction is way too late!