By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Someone explains this to me : FFXIII outsells Mass Effect 2 by 1'632'195 in the west

Mass effect 2 is OK game good game but not a good RPG

The first playthrough for me is very fun, the 2nd time is boring for sure

But for my taste, Mass effect 1 is better and 2 is good, I'm looking forward mass effect 3 hope the story will be good

One of the bad things about Mass effect 2 is bland storyline

But I still consider Mass effect 2 is a better game than Assasin Creed series which are utterly boring POS for me

Around the Network

I bought it because I thought, "well I guess the game could still be good without the other stuff." But I was wrong and disappointed =/.

If you like jRPG, ff13 is a good game, much better then the average jRPG. Im pretty sure that if theyd release a FF of the level of the best FF, there would be just as much complaint. People are getting used to more action and less talking, a la wRPG. Personally, FFXIII is much better then Mass Effect, much more customisation, storyline and character introspective.

I would agree with you on the fact that the voices of the haters overshadowed everyone else.

All of my friends and most of the people I know in real life enjoyed the game, I don't know why everyone on the internet seemed to hate it.

The main reason it sold so well was the fact the game is Final Fantasy, it's quite a huge name in the gaming industry. Mass Effect seemed to be one of those silent releases, nobody tends to hear about it or buy it.

Anyway, you might wanna stop making these FFXIII, you're just feeding the trolls.

Lostplanet22 said:
RolStoppable said:
badgenome said:
It sold on name value alone. We won't realize the damage FFXIII did to the series until the next Final Fantasy flops.

Pretty much this. The days of people buying Final Fantasy main series games without thinking twice might very well be over.

Also, Mass Effect 2 is overrated, but it's just one example of the gaming media increasingly trying to push the agenda that Western games have become dramatically better than Japanese ones.

ME2 is actually in the same boat as FFXIII, because fans of both series complained about the unnecessary removal of RPG elements.

Meh that is bullshit, it is just the J-gamers who are in a state of denial, a lot of them complain about those reviewers and at the same time they complain that the new J-games are not the best ones in the franchise...

This is basically what a lot of J-gamers said:

Tekken 6 not the best in the franchise, same for Soul Calibur, Same for Star Ocean the Last Hope,  Same for Beautifull Katamari, same for the latest Silent Hill games, same for Final Fantasy XIII, Same for Dead Or alive 4, Same for Virtua Fighter 5, Same for the latest Ace Combat, Same for devil May Cry 4, Same for the latest Castlevania, Same for the latest Sonic games, Same for Final Fantasy XIV, Same for Ridge Racer, and I could go on but when a reviewer doesn't give a good score to J-game it basically comes down that Western Reviewers are biased.  Their are simply not that many Japanese game franchises that got a sequel this generation that ended up better than his prequels... especially if you wouldn't count Nintendo games...    Without looking it up the only game franchises that improved (and that I remember) are so far Dynasty Warriors 7, Tales franchise (Tales of vesperia) and Metal Gears solid 4 (but that one depends who you ask I guess)

No No , Dynasty Warriors 4 was much better than 7 and i Platted 7, then again most of the latest  games of Western franchises are in the same boat as there Eastern counterparts making it a world wide trend.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network
mjk45 said:
Lostplanet22 said:
RolStoppable said:
badgenome said:
It sold on name value alone. We won't realize the damage FFXIII did to the series until the next Final Fantasy flops.

Pretty much this. The days of people buying Final Fantasy main series games without thinking twice might very well be over.

Also, Mass Effect 2 is overrated, but it's just one example of the gaming media increasingly trying to push the agenda that Western games have become dramatically better than Japanese ones.

ME2 is actually in the same boat as FFXIII, because fans of both series complained about the unnecessary removal of RPG elements.

Meh that is bullshit, it is just the J-gamers who are in a state of denial, a lot of them complain about those reviewers and at the same time they complain that the new J-games are not the best ones in the franchise...

This is basically what a lot of J-gamers said:

Tekken 6 not the best in the franchise, same for Soul Calibur, Same for Star Ocean the Last Hope,  Same for Beautifull Katamari, same for the latest Silent Hill games, same for Final Fantasy XIII, Same for Dead Or alive 4, Same for Virtua Fighter 5, Same for the latest Ace Combat, Same for devil May Cry 4, Same for the latest Castlevania, Same for the latest Sonic games, Same for Final Fantasy XIV, Same for Ridge Racer, and I could go on but when a reviewer doesn't give a good score to J-game it basically comes down that Western Reviewers are biased.  Their are simply not that many Japanese game franchises that got a sequel this generation that ended up better than his prequels... especially if you wouldn't count Nintendo games...    Without looking it up the only game franchises that improved (and that I remember) are so far Dynasty Warriors 7, Tales franchise (Tales of vesperia) and Metal Gears solid 4 (but that one depends who you ask I guess)

No No , Dynasty Warriors 4 was much better than 7 and i Platted 7, then again most of the latest  games of Western franchises are in the same boat as there Eastern counterparts making it a world wide trend.

That is your opinion, isn't the koei fanbase overall more happy with DW 7? It is hard to find out for Western Franchises because their are so many new IP's, their are some offenders that is for sure like GTA IV and Far cry 2,  but wasn't Call of Duty 4 the best COd games?  Wasn't Just Cause 2 a better game?  Halo Reach?  Forza?  Fable II? Fifa? Mortal Kombat? Killzone 2-3? Splinter Cell? Tomb Raider(Underworld)? Wipeout?

IMO I thought they were about equal in problems. Both are in my top 10 games this gen.

Final Fantasy XIII's art design and music were quite superior imo
Mass Effect had interesting dialogue options that really affected nothing besides a few really good missions (morinths). Compared to (alpha protocol)
Both had poor dialogue at many places (though FFXIII had some amount more of poor dialogue)

They both had fun gameplay systems that got a bit stale because they were both extremely linear. Meaning for the most part. You did the same thing over and over with exceptions.

Both had Great universes with some good parts to the story. With FFXIII having some bad parts, and Mass Effect 2 having a lot of useless filler parts. 
Both had some great characters the best (Mordin) coming from mass effect. And both having crappy ones (Hope, Snow, grunt and jacob).

Both streamlined and it caused good and bad things.

That considered I give both games a 9 and love them both completely.

because i bought mass effect 2 beat it in 2 days and returned it so someone bought it used instead of new? mass effect series is just as over rated as final fantasy.. and if its the best RPG of 2010 then i guess 0 other RPGs came out

Final Fantasy series a popular series around 25 years old with 13 main games and countless spin offs and rehashes. Final fantasy series has a long history and a well established fan base. Final Fantasy XIII sold on Final Fantasy series brand name regardless of the mixed reviews Final Fantasy XIII received from critics and gamers. Hopefully Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Final Fantasy Versus XIII can improve upon the controversial Final Fantasy XIII and the appalling Final Fantasy XIV online on the PC.

Mass Effect series only 5 years old and two games, a third game out next year to complete the trilogy Mass Effect is not as well known as Final fantasy series. Mass Effect and Mass effect 2 both received excellent reviews from critics and gamers. Bring on Mass Effect 3 in 2012.

Whether you prefer Final Fantasy series or Mass effect series comes down to your own taste in games and personal opinion. Do you prefer JRPGS Final Fantasy style games or WRPGs Mass Effect/Fallout/Elder Scroll style games?

RolStoppable said:
Xen said:
Runa216 said:

Sir, you have no idea how right you are.  Can I add "broken gameplay mechanics", "No sidequests/minigames", and "A Completely stupid and dumbed down fighting engine"?  

YES! How did I not say that?

I would say "no minigames" is actually a plus point considering that they usually completely sucked in the FF series. Aside from the Chocobo digging game in FFIX there was really nothing that was fun.

Triple Triad from final fantasy 8 was awesome.