By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Someone explains this to me : FFXIII outsells Mass Effect 2 by 1'632'195 in the west

Don't look at me. I bought ME2 brand new and haven't even thought about FFXIII.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
13 v 2??

What did final fantasy II sell?

Smart arse response to a smart arse thread.

This is pretty much the best  response in the thread, FF has more games and was more well-known, ME was on it's second game, and sold really well for a sequel of a new IP.

Runa216 said:
RolStoppable said:
Xen said:
Runa216 said:

Sir, you have no idea how right you are.  Can I add "broken gameplay mechanics", "No sidequests/minigames", and "A Completely stupid and dumbed down fighting engine"?  

YES! How did I not say that?

I would say "no minigames" is actually a plus point considering that they usually completely sucked in the FF series. Aside from the Chocobo digging game in FFIX there was really nothing that was fun.

I greatly disagree with you.  The Final Fantasy VIII card game was epic, the 9 card game was decent but not as awesome, The Gold Saucer was great, Blitzball was phenomenal, etc...most FF games had some sort of minigame that was a lot of fun and it's a shame to not have one in XIII.  If you don't like them, you don't have to play them (the rewards are good but not necessary to complete the game).  I'd rather have the option and chose not to use it than not have the option and later decide I want it. 

I disagree. Blitzball was a horrible, dumb mini-game. You have to stop everytime you encounter someone in the field, and select commands and calculate before passing or shooting. Pass - 9 points, blocker - 7 points, only 2 points left for passing. That's like playing a turn-based soccer game: First you stop, and then you have to decide whether you want to continue (and be tackled) or pass. It would have actually been fun if the mini-game was done in real-time.

The sphere grid also sucked. All you mostly do is follow a linear path; it isn't until near the end of the game where you actually get to choose your path, but it's too late by then. They should have just stuck with an ordinary level up system.

Well it's simply because FF is a much bigger brand name then ME.

ryuzaki57 said:
RolStoppable said:
badgenome said:
It sold on name value alone. We won't realize the damage FFXIII did to the series until the next Final Fantasy flops.

Pretty much this. The days of people buying Final Fantasy main series games without thinking twice might very well be over.

Also, Mass Effect 2 is overrated, but it's just one example of the gaming media increasingly trying to push the agenda that Western games have become dramatically better than Japanese ones.

Thanks for that buddy. I actually had it in mind but didn't have the guts to write it! It's funny when you see that EVERY website picked
Skyrim as the best RPG of E3 like they all already discarded FFXIII-2 as a major RPG. But man, all those different sites, and they all have the same tastes! What's this world?

Pitty that you didn't my response to his comment;.Made to much sense I guess.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Xen said:
Runa216 said:

Sir, you have no idea how right you are.  Can I add "broken gameplay mechanics", "No sidequests/minigames", and "A Completely stupid and dumbed down fighting engine"?  

YES! How did I not say that?

I would say "no minigames" is actually a plus point considering that they usually completely sucked in the FF series. Aside from the Chocobo digging game in FFIX there was really nothing that was fun.

Meh cardgames were also decent, and even Blitzball was okay..

The development time for FF13 are 5 years and for Mass effect 2 are only 2 years cycle

so if you need to compare, you need to take Mass effect 2+ Mass effect 3 because these 2 games are made in 5 years cycle

Also Final fantasy is a old brand and has long history along withn large number of followings

Mass effect franchise on the other hand is fairly new series

and the biggest western RPG in 2010 should be Fallout new vegas

Fallout new vegas crushes Mass effect 2 in terms of sales

but man, FF13-2 doesn't stand any chance agianst SKyrim

Anyone from VGCs on my PSN friends list will tell you I own and Played ME2 for well over 50 hours but I'm gonna be honest. I thought the game was crap. Too repetitive, the games characters are meh and there is too much dam talking going on in the game. I stoped playing the game half ways through because I though it was that bad and I rarely do that. Its not even a RPG. Why do people say this. this game does not feel like an RPG whatsoever. Having levels, skill points and upgrades is not the only thing a game needs to be an RPG. The only fun part is trying to get characters to have sex with each other Really lol.

Also anyone who seen my posts on this site about FF13 knows I dislike that game too and I platted that game. The proffs in my trophies. But I hold FF13 in a higher reguard to ME2. Now people will say well your just a PS3 fanboy and if it was PS3 exclusive. Wrong yes I am a fan of the PS3 but when it comes to giving honest opinions about games I'll give it to people straight. Just click on the WKC2 game profile on this site which is a PS3 exclusive and read what I said about that game in its comments section. I even scored that game 1 out of 10 after my first 10 hours of the game because it just pissed people off. ME2 has so many issues Reviewers score other games down for, for it to get 9s and 10s all over the board which really has me thinking reviewers are nothing but hippocritical Bastards who will be the death of the gaming industry.

Anyway I know some people reguard the ME franchise as one of there favorites and ya know more power to you. We all have differant tastes but to me ME is a game that belongs in the toilet.