By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Someone explains this to me : FFXIII outsells Mass Effect 2 by 1'632'195 in the west

SqueakySamurai said:
Runa216 said:
SqueakySamurai said:

Are you serious? Western games have already surpassed Japanese games years ago. Mass Effect 2 is only slightly overrated, while every single Jaoanese game is an RPG or a Nintendo game.

just like how every western game is microsoft or some FPS game?  Gimme a break dude, don't be so ignorant. 

I know that I was exagerating, It was to prove a point. Western games are much more varied and higher quality, even Japanese people think that. I remember Hideo Kojima ( creator of Metal Gear Solid) saying that Japanese developers have lost the creativity that made their games so good.

http://www.vg247.com/2011/03/23/western-games-dominate-japanese-developers-best-of-2010-list/

That's opinion, and nothing more (and that general line of thinking is wrong on many levels, but that's just debating viewpoints and not facts).  I mean, 4 of my top 5 games this gen are Japanese developed games.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Around the Network

It's embarrassing IMO.

Could the OP explain this to us:

FF13: May, 2010 6.2 mil copies shipped. January 2012: 6.52 copies sold.

FF13-2: awaiting western launch, underperformed FF13 launch in Japan by about 1 mil copies.

Skyrim: Released November 2011. Decmber 2011: 10 mil copies shipped!

RolStoppable said:
oniyide said:
badgenome said:
Wagram said:

Final Fantasy XI was an awesome game. Most of the Final Fantasy fanbase is filled with morons who label it as shit because their too fucking cheap to spend $12.95 a month on it. Final Fantasy XIV flopped due to no advertising, bad team management, poor development, and other various issues. Learn your fucking facts before you spew shit.

We obviously played different Final Fantasy XIs. The one you played must be really cool for you to get so defensive about it.

Holy crap, he must really liked eleven

Does it surprise you? He also really liked VIII. Obviously he plays different versions than the rest of us

HEY! VIII is an awesome game. 13 doesn't even come close to how awesome it is.

I'll tell you this. As an RPG fan, I prefer FFXIII over ME2. I'm on the chapter before last on FF, haven't played recently due to my obsession with League of legends. As for ME2, I clocked in 11 hours, recruited the psycho bald chick jack, and just stopped, uninstall and never looked back. Something about that game just did not encourage me to go on, plus I was severely disappointed on the customization of ME2 so i started off the wrong foot. There is nothing more I like on a RPG than being able to customize characters appearance.

I will say if I had played and beaten the first ME, I might have enjoyed it more. FFXIII did sell on brand, but I personally believe it earned all those sells. It isn't the best FF game but it's still a great adventure which I promise to beat by the end of this month.

Also, ME2 started off 360 exclusive and...*inhales* RPGs are not the 360's forte. It can be argued ME2 is more of a shooter a la GoW, but RPG nonetheless.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Around the Network

By the way people should know this thread is like 6 months old. i resserected it because Skyrim has shipped 10 mil copies.

i suppose its semi relevant because Skyrim could end up selling more copies than FF13 and FF13-2 combined!

sigh nevermind..

Blue dragon outsold The Last Story and Xenoblade Chronicles in Japan... By your logic blue dragon must be a much better game considering install bases.

Halo 3 ODST outsold Uncharted 2 in 2009. ODST is the better game?

MW3(just the 360 version) outsold uncharted 3, gears of war 3, and legend of zelda combined... I don't even know what that must prove...

All I'm saying is you are obviously nitpicking sales only because you prefer Final Fantasy XIII to Mass Effect 2. If we were to compare a high selling game that you don't like, I doubt you will think sales are such a good indicator of how good a game is.

I'm not sure whether the OP will revist this thread after insulting Mass Effect 2's sales. but Mass Effect 3 is nearly out and it will undoubtidly sell more copies than FF13-2. as Mass Effect 2 has sold more copies than FF13-2, yet being a timed 360 exclusive.

for a more fair comparasion The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim has sold 10 mil copies in a shorter time span than FF13 sold however many copies it sold in the first 3 months.

As many people have said, the franchise name still has alot of power, its also such an important franchise that regardless of reviews people buy it, wanting to experience it for themselves. Most reviews could have awarded it a 6, but i'm a huge FF fan and would have bought it anyway if i thought it looked decent. And as you mentioned; most reviews were good (8 upwards) and although and 8 isn't the standard previous titles have set, its not low enough to deter fans, especially since its one of the only decent JRPGs of this gen.

As for the "haters" being louder the rest, I'm someone who enjoyed game but left with an overwhelming sense of disappointment, i think this is the general consensus amongst most fans. Naturally is comes across as one sided on the forums and comments, as people are always more compelled to talk about what they disliked especially with a franchise so close to the heart.