By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who here would pay $70+ for 3-5 hours of game play?

Cross-X said:
Munkeh111 said:
Well I agree with most of the others, it depends on how good it is. I would happily pay £70 for Uncharted 3 (remember, everyone outside America is already paying $70)

$209 Australian Dollars for the Collector's Edition!!!!!

As much as I'm a huge Uncharted fan, I won't be getting that edition and be getting just a steelcase special edition, which is $109 AUD still...

US and AU dollars are pretty much level so yeah you see how expensive shit is here...

Yeah, basically The Americans have it really easy... But I would be ordering the £100 Explorer's Edition, but I can't find anywhere to buy it from in the UK yet!

Around the Network

High price with short campaigns is pretty much the situation for FPS lovers that don't care for online action. Personally, I stop buying and start renting then a long time ago -- although I made an exception to Goldeneye, which sports a pretty long campaign. We still see some games packed of value from time to time but renting is becoming my preferred way to experiment games and I think the trend will only increase as Nintendo moves into HD gaming.

the only reason i wouldn't buy those games is the length but i won't complain about the price i mean wtf is wrong with the gamers nowadays? i had to pay like 60-70€ for games 15 years ago and i still don't have to pay more but i get a loan increase of 3% every year on average. that means i have more than 50% more in my pocket but i cry if i have to pay 15% more for my games? no way!

all those people who design my game, who work in the shop selling the game and whatever get loan increases so sometimes it will be the time to pay more for something.

if i got 2k per month 15 years ago and had to pay 60€ (ok euro wasn't out there) or now 3k and i have to pay 75€ hmmm?

CaptainObvious said:
I would do what I do now wait until the game drops in price before buying it. Hate short games that's why I prefer RPG's over other genres.

That to a Tee...

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

radishhead said:
The only situation where this would be present would be in games which are mainly multiplayer. In which case, the 3-5 hours of gameplay in single player doesn't matter.

Multiplayer is one thing that takes the time limit off, because, when it done right, you get hours and months of gameplay out of it.  One could, for example, drop over $100 for a multiplayer boardgame, which has an average game length of under an hour, and play it over and over again.  Multiplayer videogames would be the same way.

An issue popping up now is what to do with games in the future that will end up being single-player only experiences.

Around the Network

Why not? Street Fighter 2 was, afterall, only a 20 minute game, and I paid probably the equivalent of 100-150$ USD multiple times for multiple versions of it back in the SNES era.

Resident Evil 1 and 2 couldn't have been more than 2-4 hours long.

Most NES games were not more than 2-3 hours long.

If the game is good, I will buy it. What the question fails to understand is that shorter games generally have LOTS of replayability. I would sooner pay full price for a good replayable short game, than a long game I would only want to play once.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

If it had multiplayer,then yes I'd still buy it.

I put down that kind of money on games of roughly that length plenty of times back in the NES/SNES/N64 days.

Hell, Vanquish has that kind of value proposition and it's one of the best games this generation.

Depends on how fun it is, and how long I'm going to spend playing it after I beat the campaign the first time.

Munkeh111 said:
Cross-X said:
Munkeh111 said:
Well I agree with most of the others, it depends on how good it is. I would happily pay £70 for Uncharted 3 (remember, everyone outside America is already paying $70)

$209 Australian Dollars for the Collector's Edition!!!!!

As much as I'm a huge Uncharted fan, I won't be getting that edition and be getting just a steelcase special edition, which is $109 AUD still...

US and AU dollars are pretty much level so yeah you see how expensive shit is here...

Yeah, basically The Americans have it really easy... But I would be ordering the £100 Explorer's Edition, but I can't find anywhere to buy it from in the UK yet!

We don't have it easy. 

I definitely wouldn't pay that amount, $50 or $60 for a game is already pushing it for me. And although games that offer a limited single player campaign usually make up for it in multplayer modes, a game really needs to win me over in single player before I'll take it online.