By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is This How MS Intends To Become #1?

Here's a solution, use VGChartz data, not NPD

Around the Network

Microsoft count all replacement 360' as a new sold one, so in the real world xBox360 has only really sold 25 to 30 Million not the 53 million.

kowenicki said:
thismeintiel said:
kowenicki said:
thismeintiel said:
kowenicki said:
NiKKoM said:
Is he saying MS moneyhatted NPD?

pretty much...

The way pachter and then source have reported this is a little lazy and probably wide of the mark. 

NPD couldnt afford to be seen to bowing to unreasonable outside influences - its business would be screwed overnight. 

Iits a non-story that people seem to want to run with to somehow explain why their console of choice got its arse kicked in NPD.

If Pachter is correct and MS has convinced NPD to include some shipment data to distributors, with some of those units making their way out of the US so they will never actually be sold in the US, then I think its a reletively big story.  It would mean MS are trying to inflate their numbers.  And there is no question that MS would have outsold the PS3 and Wii in the US, it's pretty much a given.  But if MS is doing this to make their own YOY seem better to investors, that's quite dishonest.

I repeat....  shipped number released soon to ratify any sell through numbers....   so why does this wild conspiracy theory matter in the end? 

I want to know if this is Pachter or Source, so I am going to find out.

How will this change the WW shipment numbers?  Does MS give out specific numbers for each country?  If this is true, it won't effect WW shipment numbers, it would only shift shipment numbers from South America to sales in the US.  And since no one truly tracks South America like NPD tracks the US, you won't see either a dip in numbers in South America or sold through numbers being counted twice.  And I await the Source's clarification.

My point is only the total worldwide figure matters, I couldnt really give a crap about regional variances.

and.. LOL... I wont be asking the source to clarify.  Horses mouth on this one.

technically, it should count as sales as long as the purchase was done in the US. I'm guessing, since people are mentioning that some of these units found their way into other countries, i'm guessing that this "distributor" isnt really a "distributor" but some people who do import/export business. They probably bought a large number of x360s and brought them somewhere else. as i mentioned, since they bught it in the US then it should count as sales.

the only issue i see is that it could potentially be counted twice when tracking sales.....or maybe not since more often than not, those who buy directly and ship it out else where arent legit or accredited distributors and most likely arent tracked.

so, yeah. i dont see the issue here.

kowenicki said:
ferox said:
Microsoft count all replacement 360' as a new sold one, so in the real world xBox360 has only really sold 25 to 30 Million not the 53 million.

oh dear.... 

yes... i agree... oh dear...i have heard that argument so many times and it still sounds stupid. MS or any company for that matter cannot count replacement units as a sale. since a Sale, by definition is having someone buy the x360 for money. Replacement units do not bring in money, in fact, MS loses some money by replacing units.

i would be one of the first to laught at MS and their supporters if this were true. but it is not and will never be true.

ill make it as simple as possible for you crazy kids. If patcher is right, then all microsoft did was make sure it was up yoy in the usa for this npd. Its funny though how most of you girls never believe anything he says unless its something you want to believe in. This has no affect on microsoft's goal because their goal is simply to ship the most units worldwide of any console for this fiscal year, nothing else.
Furthermore about the RROD consoles, most of them are indeed just fixed. Again there is no way microsoft could have covered up that half its consoles sold are actually replacement. Someone more credible than blind fanboys would have been able to show actual proof that they did that.

Around the Network

No.

A) That statement from Source/Pachter dubious at best, I doubt Pachter was happy with such a fail prediction, and obviously source is gonna look for ways to downplay 507k in June for 360 ...

B) This deal runs out this month AFAIK.

They'll be #1 with a price cut on kinect, they beat PS3 last xmas and with a price cut on Kinect and mass advertising it shouldn't be hard to do it again ...

ferox said:

LMAO god damn.

Seece said:
No.

A) That statement from Source/Pachter dubious at best, I doubt Pachter was happy with such a fail prediction, and obviously source is gonna look for ways to downplay 507k in June for 360 ...

B) This deal runs out this month AFAIK.

They'll be #1 with a price cut on kinect, they beat PS3 last xmas and with a price cut on Kinect and mass advertising it shouldn't be hard to do it again ...

In fairness, it was a Fable, Halo, Kinect and half a Billion in advertising combo vs GT5 This Year looks to be more balanced!

I find it funny people are trying to make a big deal out of this. It was one month people and I love how people are straight up ignoreing the fact that the PS3 and Wii have both had deals where they were given away for free too. The shipment to Brazil thing isn't a big deal and honestly couldn't have been that many units.

NA is just 360 territory now plain and simple.

Using Patcher as a basis of your argument = OP losing credibility...