By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Did Sony Fail The Playstation 3...

Did Sony Fail The Playstation 3.

Yes 103 36.27%

No 141 49.65%

See results 39 13.73%

Total:283

I guess that is a bit of a tricky question.

Sony failed the PS3 during the R&D phase. They were foolish; they were not keeping track of per unit production cost during research and development of the hardware (they had to cut out the second HDMI, 2 Ethernet ports, and 2 usb ports and were still selling at a 33% loss per unit at launch). They also failed at making the architecture developer friendly to help mitigate cost of making HD games, and they did not get development kits out early enough or helping studios learn the new architecture. This all led to a lack luster library of games for the two years of the PS3 and damaged a ton of brand image with customers and relationships with developers.

But after some time, Sony succeeded at reducing the console's price by a whopping $300 and saved the console by greatly expanding its exclusive game library.

Going forward, Sony seems to have learned a great humbling lesson from this, shown in the development of the PS Vita thus far; Vita's research and development focused on making hardware in accordance with what developers want. This helps strengthen developer relationships, educate developers early, and gets developers excited to make software for hardware that was designed specifically for their needs. And, they set a target specific price of production so the console would be sold at little or no loss at a reasonable price point ($249).

They also have mentioned that the PS4 will use a similar approach to make a more reasonably priced console at launch. The set price will certainly be higher than the Vita (my best guess is $399ish).

Around the Network

I think SONY made some terrible errors in the design of the PS3.

I recently purchased a PS3 having been a PS2 ----> Wii -----> 360 Owner and I considered this initially to be an upgrade.

I'm stunned and not in a good way.

I've enjoyed BluRay and a handful of games but the multiplats are terrible on the PS3.

Maybe I'm just over sensitive to screen tearing but after trying to play AC Brotherhood on the PS3 the unthinkable has happened. My 360 has been dusted off and is back in the living room. I've actually repurchased the game.

But the problems dont stop there. I've found numerous bugs in games, Sound problems, Res change flicking.

Thing is these are easy things to fix but SONY just dont seem to be bothered.

Its sad to say but if I had to some up the PS3 in one word it would be "unpolished"

Its a crying shame as the Tech under the hood of my PS3 seems to be going to waste.

Cypher1980 said:
I think SONY made some terrible errors in the design of the PS3.

I recently purchased a PS3 having been a PS2 ----> Wii -----> 360 Owner and I considered this initially to be an upgrade.

I'm stunned and not in a good way.

I've enjoyed BluRay and a handful of games but the multiplats are terrible on the PS3.

Maybe I'm just over sensitive to screen tearing but after trying to play AC Brotherhood on the PS3 the unthinkable has happened. My 360 has been dusted off and is back in the living room. I've actually repurchased the game.

But the problems dont stop there. I've found numerous bugs in games, Sound problems, Res change flicking.

Thing is these are easy things to fix but SONY just dont seem to be bothered.

Its sad to say but if I had to some up the PS3 in one word it would be "unpolished"

Its a crying shame as the Tech under the hood of my PS3 seems to be going to waste.

Blame the developers of that specific game.... Sad sad sad rant post.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

They totally screwed up the launch, but apart from that, Sony has been doing a good job imho.

updated: 14.01.2012

playing right now: Xenoblade Chronicles

Hype-o-meter, from least to most hyped:  the Last Story, Twisted Metal, Mass Effect 3, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Playstation ViTA

bet with Mordred11 that Rage will look better on Xbox 360.

snakenobi said:
if it would have launched at $399 the gaming world would have been completely different today

Wii would have never taken off

Nah. Wii still would have raped the competition. It would have sold better WW for sure, but I actually wouldn't be surprised if the 360 still would have beaten it at that price point in the US.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

Around the Network

Its simple

PS1/ps2 = 1st place

PS3......cant even beat a high failure prone console that doesnt even sell well in japan.

like cmon ppl

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Yeah in a way, but only at first. The fact they didn't give up on their project, it's not a failure. A failure is when you abandon the ship, then watch your ship sink into the deep ocean from afar in a lifeboat. There's nothing wrong in filling up the holes with wood at first then reinforce it later with metal after the storm. That's what sony did and that's the reason why PS3 is doing so well right now.Commitment.

If Sony failed the PS3, Nintendo failed the NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Sega failed everything and MS failed the original Xbox.

kurasakiichimaru said:

Yeah in a way, but only at first. The fact they didn't give up on their project, it's not a failure. A failure is when you abandon the ship, then watch your ship sink into the deep ocean from afar in a lifeboat. There's nothing wrong in filling up the holes with wood at first then reinforce it later with metal after the storm. That's what sony did and that's the reason why PS3 is doing so well right now.Commitment.

Very well said. Could not agree any more.  :)

AaronSOLDIER said:
If Sony failed the PS3, Nintendo failed the NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Sega failed everything and MS failed the original Xbox.

You do know that the NES and SNES won their generations right. Also everyone says that MS failed the 1st Xbox so I don't see what your point was.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo