By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Did Sony Fail The Playstation 3...

Did Sony Fail The Playstation 3.

Yes 103 36.27%

No 141 49.65%

See results 39 13.73%

Total:283
Goddbless said:
AaronSOLDIER said:
If Sony failed the PS3, Nintendo failed the NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Sega failed everything and MS failed the original Xbox.

You do know that the NES and SNES won their generations right. Also everyone says that MS failed the 1st Xbox so I don't see what your point was.

I think AaronSOLDIER is directly referring to the number of consoles sold during each of their respective lifetimes; each totaled a lesser ammount sold than the current PS3 hardware sales tally.

Around the Network
trent44 said:
Goddbless said:
AaronSOLDIER said:
If Sony failed the PS3, Nintendo failed the NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Sega failed everything and MS failed the original Xbox.

You do know that the NES and SNES won their generations right. Also everyone says that MS failed the 1st Xbox so I don't see what your point was.

I think AaronSOLDIER is directly referring to the number of consoles sold during each of their respective lifetimes; each totaled a lesser ammount sold than the current PS3 hardware sales tally.

Yes but the industry has grown immensely since then. However he is right on the N64, GC, Xbox and all of Sega's console's besides the Genesis/Megadrive.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

YES PS3 is a business failure if we see as it will never make a penny

But counting in blu ray royalties maybe its not!!!

On the other hand on the games side its a huge success!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Much as I love my PS3 (only current gen home console I own), I voted yes. It could've been a much more successful machine, Sony thought they could put anything at any price with the PlayStation brand on the shelves.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

trent44 said:
Goddbless said:
AaronSOLDIER said:

He's wrong about the NES in that case.  It completely won its generation and has sold more than the PS3 so he doesn't have a leg to stand on. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network

Quick question:

If Sony lost monies with each PS3 sold, wouldn't the PS3 be further in the hole if they sold more consoles?

Jay520 said:
Quick question:
If Sony lost monies with each PS3 sold, wouldn't the PS3 be further in the hole if they sold more consoles?

Yes, unless they made it up in game royalties.  If you wanted to hurt Sony in 2007 you'd buy a PS3 and never play it

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Jay520 said:
Quick question:

You sir, just proved a quick and valid point.

Anyways From what i know right now, Sony has been making money off the PS3 since they first released the Slim model back in August of 2009.  :)

homer said:
snakenobi said:
if it would have launched at $399 the gaming world would have been completely different today

Wii would have never taken off

Nah. Wii still would have raped the competition. It would have sold better WW for sure, but I actually wouldn't be surprised if the 360 still would have beaten it at that price point in the US.

another brand name doesn't matter guy

osamanobama said:
snakenobi said:
osamanobama said:
snakenobi said:
if it would have launched at $399 the gaming world would have been completely different today

Wii would have never taken off

yes it would be a different world. there would be no ps3 or Sony. they would be out of business after lossing 100's of billions of dollars

100's of billions of dollars,are you real?

sony would have lost alot but software number would have been off the hook

don't forget,PS2 sold 1.6billion copies of software

if sony got anywhere near that then they would have totally earned everything back

every PS3 game today pays $10 to sony in royalty

sony earns $35 on first party games

plus the success would have turned blu-ray into a monster and royalties would have made sony very happy

the reason why this couldn't possible was

sony's overconfidence on its brand name.it was $399 strong,just not $499 strong

few launch games

plus early shortages which didn't build a base and then devs backed off

i meant to type tens of billions. (though it may have been close to 100 billion with a lot of rounding). at $400 they would have lost nearly $500 per console sold, and at that price they would be flying off the shelves, and be selling better than the wii was.  thus cripling them financially. say they sold 30 million at that price (they wouldnt have been able to drop it for many many years, like 2009-2010. that would be 15 billion, likely they would have sold double that.

go and check how much sony lost,then come back.don't take numbers out of anywhere

sony lost $4.5billion with $499 price as they made money on PS2,PSP,PSN game sales,PS3 games.This number is decreasing day by day as PS3,PSP,PS2 and game sales continues making profit

without profits from those sources they lost $6.5billion

i have been following their financial reports and other sales and profits for the last 5 years.so don't kid me.