By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which Publisher Did The Best/Worst This Generation

Wagram said:
non-gravity said:
I hope that all the ones hating on Square Enix are not hating on their Eidos division because that one's fairly good.

Still hilarious though that all these haters will be among the first in line to pick up XIII-2 and Versus.

lol, that's true...I am one of them.

Around the Network

Best.
+Nintendo (as a hole company) has done it very well this generation, both with their own games (new and old IPs) and publishing others (like Level-5's Layton series).
+Sony has also done quite well, launching new games such as Uncharted or Little Big Planet.
+Take Two, which thanks to new IPs like Borderlands, Red Dead Redemption or LA Noire, has been grown as a Co. and has been able to make profit even without a GTA game (something they couldn't do before)

Worst
+Namco-Bandai have done good games but the decision to not publish them outside of Japan has been a major mistake.
+Square-Enix. Yes, they may have done a good profit, but none of their new games (not counting what Eidos has done) has done well.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Best: Nintendo, Sony, Take-Two (Quality Based)
Worst: Square-Enix

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

Yawn...typical, mindless SE hate. I don't see how they are the worst publishers of this gen. They published a great amount of games this gen, and a lot of them were good: Dissidia, Batman, The World Ends With You, Just Cause 2, Tactics Ogre remake, NieR, FFIV, FFXIII, DQ series, Chrono Trigger, Valkyrie Proflie, etc. They even published Persona 4 in the PAL regions. In addition, SE has put up a great selection of PSone Classics on the PSN store, mostly the ones we wanted. Also, the localization/translation for their games has been fairly strong like NieR for example.

Even as developers, they're far from the worst. Have you guys played Fist of the North Star and all thoses crappy Dynasty Warrior games?

+1 for Jumpin and Darth for being the voice of reason.

My favorite publisher this gen has to be Atlus USA, mainly because they give us a free soundtrack CD or artbook, and the special editions for a few of their games were cool: Catherine and Demon's Souls. Sony has been pretty good too.

Worst is probably Sega of America. They didn't localize Kenzan, they butchered Yakuza 3 with the content cuts, they failed to capitalize on Resonance of Fate, ruined Valkyria Chronicles, Sonic, etc. Nintendo of America is also poo for not localizing Fatal Frame 4, Xenoblade, The Last Story, and Pandora's Tower. Oh, but they're not hesitant on bringing Mario Party 42 and all those Mario mini-games. They need to stop being lazy.

Best: Sony(Because it's sony lol), Nintendo(same reason as Sony lol), and I can't believe you are all forgetting Xseed!!! You all need some serious spanking. Without Xseed, many JRPGs wouldn't even have seen the light of the day for a localization... Thanks Xseed!!!

Mediocre: Square Enix- They weren't bad but they could've done better. Plus we're all getting the same number of Final Fantasies for the home consoles this gen as PS2 did last gen and spin-offs such as Dissidia. They just have a lot of games that's been put into limbo because of one mess-up with FFXIV then the tsunami and I doubt that would be enough for someone to say SE should disappear from gaming and anyone who says that crap, doesn't love gaming at all and just wanted them to fade away for the sake of getting pleasure in someone waving the white flag which IMO is very disgusting.

Namco-Banda-so far, I enjoyed their psp games but they really need to do something about their Tales franchise. It's just so insulting. :(

Around the Network

Sony did great but so did nintendo...
Sony Returning Franchises:
3 Ratchet and Clank games
1 Sly Cooper
1 God of War
1 Twisted Metal
2 Killzones
2 Socoms(not much to brag about there though lol)
1 Gran Turismo
2 Warhawk games(I count Starhawk)

Sony New Franchises/games:
3 Uncharted
2 Infamous
Last Guardian
3 Resistance
2 WKC
Heavenly Sword
2 LBP
3 Motorstorm
Dust 514

Nintendo Returning Franchises:
1 Fire emblem
2 3d Mario games
1 2d Mario game
1 Paper Mario
2 Wario games(1 was a mini game series, while the other was a platformer)
2 Kirby games
2 Zeldas
2 DK games
1 Punch out
2 Excite games
1 Sin and Punishment
2 Mario Party games

New Franchises Nintendo:
Last Story
Wii Series
and others

I left out obscure games not because I don't think they should count, but rather they are obscure enough that I did not know they existed. My list also left out handheld games because I am too lazy to write down all of those too. Anything else I left out was due to human error...Oh yeah, and I have included games that have not released yet, so sue me.
Best: Nintendo/Sony
Worst: THQ

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

homer said:

Worst: THQ

Jeez, their games are downright embarassing. It's not even funny.

Best: EA and Sony, Im more surprized with EA I really didnt care for them last gen.

Worst: Square-Enix there fall from grace is embarassing.

Nintendo:

Most innovative in game play this generation and they also account for the most sold.
Wii Sports brought a wide range of people to engage in video games. Wii Fit alleviated the thought of video games being only played on the couch. Brain Age provided a solid initiative for brain exercise.

This also includes core games which I am not going to discuss.
As to the worst publisher, I'm not sure.

The best in my opinion have been Sony, Uncharted, Infamous, God Of War 3 etc & Microsoft with Halo, Gears, Forza etc.

SE have been the worst IMO.