By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why do we exist,GOD or BIG BANG theory?

Who created everything?

GOD 184 41.82%

BIG BANG 251 57.05%

Total:435

The domino effect must it exist? Does something always have to come from something else? If the universe must have a god because everything needs something to be created than how does good exist? Its time to realize all beliefs have flaws and that we will all provide are own answers. The debate goes on...

Around the Network

Maybe both are correct, there could be a "God" outside our universe (maybe a geeky programmer in his mother's basement) who created a computer program to simulate a big bang, and then one thing led to another...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

padib said:

Do be fair though. It's not because you found an exception case here and there that you discredit the whole article. The guy makes a point, I'd like to see if it holds water.

No, the guy that wrote the article is a complete nutjob, like all the other creatonists and ID morons. Links to Youtube videos have been given in this thread that thoroughly explain the science behind science and the nuttiness of the creatonists/ID nuts.

I do not discuss these subjects anymore - for the same reason I do not discuss with flat earthers or hollow earth worshippers anymore: It is completely pointless to try and explain scientific reasoning to this group of people. They have their religious dogmas deeply imprinted on them and they will shut down immediately when confronted with science. You can see this behaviour in many of the posters of this thread: Failure of the educational process paired with religius dogma (and probably paired with watching FoxNews all day).

As much as I admire the people here that try to explain some scientific reasoning into that crowd by writing walls of texts: It is completely and utterly futile - these people will not change one bit. The scary thing is: quite often these people turn out to be tomorrow's Tea party members...

padib said:
Rath said:

So, the explanation is given in the article I provided: 
http://www.nwcreation.net/fossilsorting.html

That article makes no sense. You find sea dwelling creatures such as the Plesiosaur amongst the dinosaurs and huge lowland dwelling creatures such as the Diprotodon amongst humans and other more recently existing creatures. Once again it's doing its best to make the evidence fit the theory, rather than looking at the evidence and building up a theory around it.

These are the counter-points I'm looking for, and I like them. Keep them coming. At least you address what is said, not who said it. K, so the question is, for those kinds of cases, which layers are these found in? Do you have a source I can work with?

Do be fair though. It's not because you found an exception case here and there that you discredit the whole article. The guy makes a point, I'd like to see if it holds water.

The entire article is bollocks though - the fossil sorting mechanism he suggests does not match the layering of fossils that are found. Many sea creatures are found on the lowest layers while many creatures who you woul expect to be screwed in the case of a world-wide flood - such as the mammoth - are found amongst humans.

padib said:

Riiiight, and then you call yourself open-minded and parade the lie.
The Youtube videos I've written on in case you missed that. Took them seriously just like an open-minded person would and should. Are you doing the same?

I am absolutely NOT calling myself open-minded. I had my fair share of (mostly futile) discussions with creatonists/flat earthers/hollow earthers/nutjobs-of-the-week-followers during my university days. Just you get the idea: I am absolutely closed-mided about those morons: They are morons. At some point, as a scientist, you give up and just call morons morons and don't waste weeks trying to turn them into scientists. Fortunately calling a spade a spade is still allowed. But as a scientist it is frustrating to see that seemingly more and more people - probably overwhelmed by the ever increasing complexity of the world - give up on thinking. Whether they believe a God or evolution gave them a brain: They should at least try to use it and not go the somebody ese is thinking for me route".

Around the Network
padib said:

I understand your frustration. I too have had my share of discussions, and have found many morons on both camps. That won't stop me (not yet ;P). I know, I'm only 26 and have lots to learn, but for the moment I'm still open-minded. When the day comes that I'll have made up my mind and shut out all other idea (God forbid that ever happens), I too will cease to call myself open-minded. At least you're being honest. Can you appreciate that not all are honest, on both camps? Many people claim to be open-minded but they're not. There's much hypocrisy in this area of debate, enough to fill the atmosphere.

Of course there are bad apples in every orchyard. There have been discussions with people like those water-finders with their brands of sticks. Most of those people were "down to earth" honest people that truly believed they can find water just by wiggling some stick over some ground (in my part of the world, it also helps that no matter where you dig, you find water after at most a few meters). When they fail the scientific test, they all are truly nonplussed by the result. So far, 100% of the creatonists/flat earthers/etc.. I have seen/spoken with turned out to be people seriously deluded/dogmatic or snake-oil sales people. So my (closed-minded) hypothesis is: all are morons. After a while, you just give up on them (which of course poses the problem that if everyone gave up, suddenly we would find ourselves outnumbered and outmatched by morons). Sometimes I get myself into trouble when I suggest to read "A Handmaid's Tale" by M. Atwood when I run into one of those (particularly religius) dogmatic American people - another reason to no longer bother.

The Horrendous Space Kablooie naturally!

Love and tolerate.

padib said:
Sri Lumpa said:
padib said:

This movie is also very good: http://creationwiki.org/Chemicals_to_Living_Cell:_Fantasy_or_Science. Get a copy.

From your link: "“Goo-to-you”evolution is impossible and this lecture shows why. The laws of real chemistry prevent non-living chemicals from arranging themselves into living cells.

They don't even know the difference between evolution and abiogenesis so I seriously doubt that it is very good scientifically speaking. I bet is is very good religious propaganda though.

Why would you say that? You're jumping to conclusions again. What from that sentence makes you think they don't understand the difference between evolution and abiogenesis? They call it Goo-to-you evolution by lumping it together, it doesn't mean they don't understand the difference...

Let's assume arguando that they do understand the difference between evolution and abiogenesis. That means that they try to disprove evolution by disproving abiogenesis which is a straw man. So you claim that instead of being ignorant of the difference between abiogenesis and evolution they are being engaged in purposeful logical fallacy.

In other word you say that I am wrong to assume they are ignorant; but the alternative is that they are dishonest. how is that better?

padib said:

See, THAT's your issue. You take one thing, and extrapolate to the other end of the universe. Just because of that one sentence, which you totally misjudged, are you completely discrediting the video, and assuming it's religious propaganda. Talk about an open mind! If that's what being open-minded is, friend count me out of it

No, I took their sentence as a face value representation of their knowledge. You showed the possibility that it might not be ignorance but intellectual dishonesty (I guess I gave them the benefit of the doubt too much) but either way, their basis being irretrievably flawed, all I needed to invalidate it was to point out the flaw.

As for it being propaganda, given its lack of scientific merit it is the one of two things I can see it being used for (the other being to have a good laugh at their expense). It doesn't mean it is necessarily what it was made for, it just means that it is what would be most useful for.

padib said:

The guy who talks in the video for 50 minutes has a tripple PHD and is a master chess champion. Would you flunk him too?

Argument from authority, yet another logical fallacy that creationists are fond of. Besides, just having a PhD doesn't mean much.

For one thing, anybody can get a PhD on the internet for some money so the first question would be where did he get his degrees from? Accredited universities or scam operations? 

Second, What field are his PhDs in? If somebody has a PhD in French Lit that hardly shows qualification about evolutionary theory. Similarly him being a chess champion has no bearing on his expertise in evolutionary theory and I do not claim that intelligent person cannot subscribe to evolutionary theory.

But ultimately, while a diploma can indicate some degree of knowledge and competence in a field, one should not listen to people because they have a diploma (would you listen to the Wizard of Oz's Scarecrow because he has a diploma? I wouldn't) but they should listen to them if they have good arguments.

Your triple PhD guy doesn't know (or is dishonest about) the difference between evolution and abiogenesis and that by itself is proof enough that he is either not qualified enough or too dishonest for me to bother wasting time listening to him.

Besides, you are not impressed by the numerous evolutionary scientists who have PhDs so why do you expect me to be impressed?

If there are any points in his 50 minutes with which you agree which try to refute evolution by trying to refute evolutionary claims and which I haven't dealt with in my previous posts, feel free to present them individually but don't expect me to spend 50 minutes listening to somebody's whose foundational argument is irretrievably flawed from the outset just on the off chance that there might be something not connected to his basic thesis. 

padib said:

I bet you would, even without watching the video. That's great stuff. Good to know I was right all along about your side of the issue. Pure arrogance. Sorry, I don't want to sound offensive, but I hope you understand my gripe

If I was a teacher and on an free subject assignment a student sought to refute Newton's theory of gravity by refuting Karl Marx's The Communist Manifesto I would flunk him too, because even if his refutation of The Communist Manifesto was perfect it still would have no bearing on Newton's theory of gravity and would not invalidate it.

padib said:

Give me one theory of intelligent design that you believe is non-scientific. 

All of them. They all posit a nondisprovable element (an intelligent agent) and are thus nondisprovable, which means they are not scientific.

padib said:

Here's one that is scientific: all intelligent signals require a sender, from information theory (I'm sure they have better ways to formulate it, I don't have it on hand). How is that non-scientific?  

It is not scientific because this time you are falling into the logical fallacy of begging the question. You start from the principle that the signal is intelligent, therefore it was sent by an intelligence.

Guess what, DNA is not intelligence. It can, in the right configuration, lead to intelligence (humans are the prime example) but DNA itself is not intelligent. It is made of information, not intelligence. Your problem is that you seem to be using the political definition of intelligence, like the CIA: Central Intelligence Agency, which would better be name CIA: Central Information Agency but only inconsistently as when it comes to an Intelligent designer I doubt you mean intelligence as in information but intelligent as in capable of abstract thought. I would say pick a definition and stick with it but we are talking about a scientific theory so it makes more sense to use a definition that most scientists would be likely to agree with like this one (Note that intelligence being a complicated matter not every scientist will agree 100% with those definitions but they represent the general ideas that most scientist can accept as a basis for debate).

padib said:

We repeatedly observe [intelligent signals] in the world around us. 

Care to provide us with an example of a signal that is intelligent (as opposed to simply carrying information).

padib said:

But when it comes to the genetic code, all of a sudden it comes by chance. 

Randomness is one of at least three ingredients for evolution. Environmental pressure (that is, natural selection) is the second and iteration of those two processes over extremely long periods of time is the third. I am not claiming they are the only (I am not an evolutionary biologist myself) but they are at the core of evolution as I understand it (it is possible that my understanding of it is flawed, if it is feel free to point out where just like i have pointed out where your understanding of it was flawed).

padib said:

When you see a finger-print, you think "Who's is that?" not "How did that come about by chance?". 

Scientist would not think "How did that come about by chance?" either because it implies that randomness is the reason for its appearance. They would simply ask "How did that come about?" and if the most likely answer in light of the evidence happens to be "by random changes in inherited traits combined with environmental pressure, both over very long periods of time" then they will accept that as the answer until a better answer comes along or some new evidence comes along disproving it.

Creationists on the other hand, when seeing a fingerprint would say "Such a complicated structure could not have happened by itself and thus is proof that it was designed, therefore there must be an intelligent designer".

padib said:

Even evolutionists are ready to admit that Evolution is totally non-conventional, non-trivial 

For nontrivial, that is a given as that means that it is complicated, which evolution certainly is.

As for nonconventional, according to Mirriam-Webster it means "not bound by traditional ways or beliefs" to which I would say that all of science is nonconventional as it is not bound to traditional ways or beliefs but instead tries its best to bind itself to the facts.

If you meant that it was nonconventional in the context of science (that is, that it was not bound to earlier scientific theories) then I would say that it was when first proposed but, as more evidence supporting it came to light, it became more and more conventional until today were evolution is the convention in science.

padib said:

(i.e. it doesn't concord with the facts of life in any way) 

Is that your definition of nonconventional and nontrivial? You might want to open a dictionary. Besides if any scientist made the claim that "evolution doesn't concord with the facts of life in any way" then he can hardly be called an evolutionary scientist, can he? (that would be like calling the pope an atheist).

padib said:

That's why it's of such "beauty" 

Wait! What? You claim that evolutionary theory's beauty comes from not concording with the facts of life in any way?

It is exactly the opposite. The beauty of evolutionary theory's beauty is because it explains so many facts in the world with such an economy of principles.

ID explains complicated thing by positing the existence of an even more complicated thing (god) that cannot be proved or disproved. 

padib said:

I'll give you one from the evolutionary model that is non-scientific. The life of the universe. How is the 6 Billion years number scientific? 

Determining the age of the universe is not actually part of the evolutionary model which is a branch of biology but part of physical cosmology.

In fact when the evolutionary model was first proposed one of the biggest critics of it was Lord Kelvin as his calculation for the age of the universe put it between 20 millions and 400 millions years which was too short a time to be consistent with the time scale needed by evolution.

As it turns out it was because he did not account for either convection in the mantle or radioactive decay adding heat. The latter is understandable as science did not know about radioactivity at the time of his calculations.

But to go back to the age of the universe (as Rath pointed out, its current estimate is 13.75 ± 0.11 billion years), the number is scientific because it is based on physical evidence, as explained by Rath. 

padib said:

It's based on false assumptions such as static rates (decay, erosion, time, speed of celestial bodies). 

It is based on the evidence we have of the universe's accelerating expansion. Do we assume that the rate are static? Yes! However, you do not claim that it is merely an assumption but that it is a false assumption so I will ask you for your evidence that this assumption is false.

If you have no evidence that the rate of acceleration of the expansion of the universe was different in the past then present it, otherwise in the absence of such evidence then you are also only assuming that the rate was different.

Furthermore, if one was to assume a variable rate of acceleration without evidence of it, one would have to further assume in what way that rate changed so that you now have two assumptions instead of one. Occam's razor therefore dictates to use the theory with the least assumptions as it is the one most likely to be correct.

BTW, we originally thought that the universe was expanding at a constant rate. Further evidence caused us to realise that the rate was actually accelerating so that is what current theories are based on. In other word, science has no problem with changing rates, as long as there is evidence for it. You don't change a theory to include the possibility of changing rates (in what direction? by how much?), you make a theory to explaining observed phenomena and as more phenomena are observed you correct your theories to account for them (or if they disprove your theory you devise new theories that explain both the old facts and the new facts).

padib said:

That sounds to me like indoctrination, ipse dixit, more than anything. And it is taugh as fact in NatGeo, I see it all the time. 

Well, like I just showed, it is based on what is observed, therefore not because of the ipse dixit of science and certainly not because of the ipse dixit of the bible. I guess you could say that it is the ipse dixit of the universe and that science is the search of what the universe tells us about itself.

padib said:
Sri Lumpa said:

Creationists (including ID) arenot scientists because they do not want an answer to that kind of question but want the answer to be "becaused god made it that way".

Not at all. You're not a creationist so how would you know our intent?

From a prominent creationist website:

The Bible—the “history book of the universe”—provides a reliable, eye-witness account of the beginning of all things, and can be trusted to tell the truth in all areas it touches on. Therefore, we are able to use it to help us make sense of this present world.

They take the bible as being literally true so for any scientific theory contradicting it they want the answer to be changed to whatever the bible says (in other words "becaused god made it that way"). Your intent is plain.

Whereas scientists look at the world and change their models and theories as their understanding of the world deepens, creationists look at the bible and change their theories of why the world does not contradict the bible as science's understanding of the world deepen.

padib said:

If you were able to prove to me with solid truth that you're right, I am willing to deny my faith. I believe in God that much, that I am ready to go that far. 

I have no intention to make you lose your faith in god and I even have said earlier in this thread that evolutionary theory is not incompatible with belief in most gods (including the abrahamic ones).

Now I could make the claim that evolutionary theory is incompatible with a literal reading of the bible but it is more accurate to say that the world itself is incompatible with a literal reading of the bible. To prove creationism you do not have merely to prove evolutionary theory to be wrong, but you also have to prove that the world is wrong as it often goes against a literal reading of the bible (in those parts where the bible describe the physical world anyway).

Besides, there is one possibility that you didn't read my post where I said that you don't prove scientific theories, you construct them to explain known facts and try to disprove them through experiments, as if you had you would know that, evolutionary theory being a scientific theory I cannot prove that it exist, just show evidence supporting it and the lack of disproof (tentative disproofs that are themselves disproved, like just about all creationists claims, are not disproofs).

The other possibility is that you did read that post, told to yourself "Ha ha, he claims it can't be totally and utterly proved. I know how to trip him! I will ask him to do so, watch him fail and claim that his lack of proof means that my belief must be right by default" but I am willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. Besides, failing to prove evolution is not a proof of creationism and claiming so would be another logical fallacy: false dichotomy.

padib said:

Ultimately, I believe He would prove himself right to me. 

Unless you mean when you die then no, then I doubt he would, as you said yourself "the bible is clear that without faith one cannot see God". If he proved himself to you you would not need your faith anymore. As for proving (or disproving) at death time, it will be the case for all of us, whether there is no god or whether god is Jesus, Allah, Hades, Yama...

padib said:

Just as you I'm sure do the same thing when arguing with a creationist... 

I am not sure I understand this sentence. Do you mean that you are sure that I believe the world would prove itself to me?

Assuming you do: I don't believe it is the job of the world to prove itself to me. In fact, I don't believe the world has any job whatsoever; it just is. Whether our experimentations upon it and our discoveries about it prove or disprove evolution does not matter either. Evolution is currently accepted because it is the best theory explaining it as we understand it. If the world was to disprove it then it would be no problem s all it would mean was that we do not understand enough of it yet and need a better model of it.

It is quite the opposite, as a discovery/experiment disproving evolution would be extremely interesting from a scientific standpoint as it would tell us things about the world that we do not know yet and lead to a better understanding of it.

For example at the end of the 19th century we thought we had explained most of physics and only had a few phenomena to explain. It turned out that explaining these phenomena (like the blackbody radiation problem) opened the door to the theories of relativity and quantum mechanics which revolutionised science; a very exciting time for a scientist to live in. 

padib said:

or are you a hypocrite, expecting that of us but not of yourself? 

Religious beliefs are irrational so I would not expect you to change them based on reason alone and I do not expect the world to confirm scientific theories, simply to reveal (through experiment) how it is. If it supports it, good, it means we probably are right (with the probability rising asymptotically towards 1 without reaching it); if it disproves it, even better, as it will eventually lead to a better understanding like, for example, Einstein's Theory of General Relativity is a better understanding of the world than Newton's Theory of Universal Gravitation.

padib said:

Because that's what my faith is based on, Genesis. 

That your faith is based on genesis is not a problem. That what you want to call science is based on genesis is a problem. Science should be based on the world, not on a religious book, or it is not science anymore.

That is the problem with creationist, not that they want to believe in genesis and the rest of the bible (or other sacred text depending on the religion) but that they want to claim that it is science.

From another post:

padib said:

Chance needs an infinite amount of time to create life as we know it 

You do not seem to understand randomness either.

Let's say that there was an infinitely sided die (impossible you say? Let's say that our example takes place in a universe where god exists and he created it, after all he is omnipotent so it is posible for him).

How long would it take to get 42 as a result?

From the sentence I quoted it appears that would say: given that there are an infinite number of possibilities it must take an infinite amount of time.

Well, you would be wrong. At any one throw of the dice every side has the same 1/infinite probability to happen so if your sentence was right each side would take an infinite amount of time to come up and thus not side would ever come up no matter how many time you throw the die.

Now it is obvious that for each throw there is one side coming up, so even though the probability is infinitesimal for the side that came up to do so it still did.

In our example the probability on each and every throw to get 42 is the same 1/infinity, but we might get it on the millionth throw or on the billionth throw or, hell, even on the first throw.

Low probabilities do not mean that it can't happen, just that it is very improbable to happen.

And don't forget that random mutations are only a part of evolution, and a part that even a lot of creationists agree happens, they just disagree that it can lead to new species. 

padib said:

For the rest, thanks for confirming what I said, that the age of the universe is based on linear variables (i.e. false assumptions).  

Evidence that the assumption is false please.

padib said:

The same issue exists with carbon dating. From wikipedia 

This is actually an example of how you do things in science.

You start by doing your calculations using what you know (decay-rate of various carbon isotopes) and as little assumption as possible (no variance in the concentration of carbon instead of assuming there is variance in concentration and assuming the amount variation in concentration with no evidence to back it up).

Once more evidence emerges (local variations) use that new evidence (possibly with other evidence) to improve your model and rerun your calculations.

Science doesn't claim to be completely right at every single point in time (religion is the one more likely to claim inerrant truth); but it does claim to do its best to explain the world given known facts and to work to improve its explanations as we get to know more about the world.

padib said:

What I meant was that the numbers have constantly grown over the ages, so it leaves breathing room to the theory.

Wrong on both counts.

Wrong on the count that the numbers have constantly grown as while it started smaller and were revised up, going at least to 20 billion years at one point, they were also revised down from those estimates to the current estimate of almost 14 billions years.

wrong on the count that it was done to leave breathing room to evolution. The age of the universe is not even determined by evolutionary theorists but by cosmologists and it is not determined to accomodate other theories but it is determined based on the evidence we had available to us at the various times the different estimates were made. For more information on the age of the universe.

padib said:

So anything you pretend I have, such as wanting to fit things into my worldview, or bias, you'll find the exact same thing on the other side, hence the constant need for more time. If the universe is on a different scale, then that's much more breathing space.

While we are all human and any given scientist is at risk of commiting the error of fitting the data to his theory (as opposed to fitting his theory to the data) at least science strives to fit the theories to the data whereas creationists strive to fit the data to the bible.

padib said:

If you're fair you'll understand what I mean. People have started out religious and have become atheist, some started out atheist and have become religious. Did they get smarter or dumber one way or the other? I don't think so. We're all just looking for answers. Why the prejudice?

The prejudice is not against belief; the prejudice is against belief trying to pass itself off as science.

padib said:

See? Great use of scientific reasoning on a biblical account. So it is possible to use science to verify biblical claims. Why when using it to counter it's legitimate, but not in defense...

If a biblical claim can be formulated in a scientific theory then the same scientific tools are available to it. The problem with creationists theory is not that they are pro-biblical, it is that they are not scientific.

For example, the bible claim that the number of Israelites leaving Egypt during the exodus was 600 000 men, not counting women and children. Later most of them camped near the base of mount Sinai. I say most of them because before that they had a battle with the amakelites and I assume some of them died in it. Still, with women and children it is not too much of a stretch to assume that there wehere a million+ human beings camping at the base of mount sinai. In other terms, a tent city with a population between that of Denver and that of San Jose was in proximity of a known mountain.

This is a physical claim about the world that could be proved by discovering archeological evidence of such a city in a strata corresponding to the date range of the event (about 3500 years IIRC). It wouldn't prove all of the bible, but it would support the biblical account that there was such a large city at that time. However it still would not support the idea that god gave the ten commandments to Moses on Mount Sinai, only that there was a city at its base at the time where it is alleged to have a happened (in other word it would only verify what the evidence support but cannot verify whatthe evidence cannot support like supernatural happenings).

Given that not everybody agrees that the modern mount sinai is the biblical one, such a finding would also support that position and undermine the position that it is a different mount (unless further evidence proved that said city was not israelite or unless the bible says that israelites similarly camped at the base of another mountain).

The problem arise when someone tries to mix science and the supernatural parts of the bible (like an intelligent agent) as science cannot prove or disprove supernatural things (only prove them to be unlikely) and thus such an attempt is not science.

padib said:

So, apparently there has been a lot of research done on that on the creationist side and in fact they have found many anomalies in the fossil record, things that shouldn't appear in one place appear there in masses. (One reference for now, about fossils appearing in the wrong layer, some in unexpected location. [1])

I don't understand, where on the page you link do they claim that?

Besides, I suppose your contention about those fossils and where they are found is likely to be that they can be explained by a catastrophic event (like Noah's flood for example) explaining their apparition in that place but since science does not claim that catastophic events cannot happen (as it would be stupid since catastrophic events happen today) then the same type of catastrophic event that according to creationists would explain these fossils would have the same amount of credibility explaining them in science (that is the credibility would be in function of whether the evidence supports their assertions, not on whether it is proposed by creationists or scientists).

So not only would their explanation for these fossils need to be supported by evidence but it would at the same time be an explanation that contradict current paleontology theories as any valid explanation for those fossil that does not contradict paleontology would not be an invalidation of it.

padib said:

It can mostly be explained due to the washing out by massive waters and depositing them in an unusual region, where you would not expect them (e.g. mountaintops, sea creatures in deserts)

Mountaintops... do you mean sea creatures fossil at the top of mountain? Have you heard of plate tectonics? Because that is a natural (and non evolutionary) process that can, given the right conditions, uplift a sea floor above see level.

padib said:

Did you also know that the process involved in the flood is an excellent means of fossilisation, if not the best? 

Science does not deny that floods happen. However, to support "the" flood having evidence that floods have happened all over the world is not eough, you need evidence that those floods are synchronised (happened at the same time) and happened almost everywhere as the earth was covered with water (I qualify it with almost to account for natural processes removing such evidence in local places).

padib said:

The other mechanisms explained by the secular model leave place to erosion and predation to destroy the bones and structures found in fossils. Enlighten me here again, I'm limited on the secular explanation of fossils (for now).

That is why fossils are so rare. There are however mechanisms that protect newly dead animals and vegetals from erosion and predation like tar pits, amber (for small animals), mudslides...

If you want more information on the different processes of fossil formation Wikipedia is a good place to start.

padib said:

Wow, read this if you don't think creation science is actively being repressed.

Yet another example of creationists trying to pass of their belief as science. Like I said earlier, if you want to play in science's playground you have to play by its rule. You can't just write a book, say it's scientific, and expect scientists to accept it just on your say so.

How would you feel like if a scientist wrote a book on evolution and took it to your creationist church and insisted that it was a religious book based on the bible and that as such it should be given as much air time in your church as creationists book so as to "teach the controversy". It would not be a proper place for such a book, no matter how much it disguised its scientific underpinning and neither is a creationist books' proper place in the science section or in a school science curriculum. 

I would agree that asking it to be completely removed goes too far, luckily they suggested the sensible alternative to move it to a more fitting section. Personally I would have done the same, asking for it to be placed in a more relevant part of the shop like the religion section or the humor section.

padib said:
Rath said:

Finally a biblical flood would have left clear and obvious signs all over earth - notably a single large universal layer of strata matching up all over the globe. Such a strata does not exist - just like the flood that is supposed to have caused it.

Apparently it exists, and is what is called the Geological column:

http://www.nwcreation.net/fossils.html

The geological column is not a layer, it is a series of successive layers hundreds of meter deep. If there was hundreds of meter of depth with very few fossils, then a few meters extremely rich in fossils, then the layers above that with very few fossils again, and this all over the world, it would be good evidence supporting the flood.

As it happens the fossils are not mostly concentrated in one specific layer, and pretending it is by saying all the layers of differing rocks are just one layer does not make it so.

Also, if that alleged hundred of meters deep layer was deposited by the flood it means that prior to being deposited most of it would have been in suspension in the floodwater but how did hundreds of miles worth of depth of rock over the entire world get into suspension? 

padib said:

More from the same wonderful author. http://www.nwcreation.net/fossilsorting.html

He states that "The first organisms to be buried were the bottom dwelling creatures, followed by free-swimming marine life forms"

Marine life forms would have been the last to die as their natural habitat is saltwater and would thus only die once the concentration of salt fell below their ability to osmoregulate.

Being the last ones to die we should find their remains mostly in the top layers.

The other possibility is that the amount of sediment in suspension in the water that is necessary to provide the building material of the geological column would keep the mineral salt concentration high enough not to kill saltwater fish.

But it only mean that those fish would have died even later as they would only have started to die when the floodwater receded, by which time most of the sedimentation (according to flood theory proponents) would have taken place and thus they should also mostly be in the top layers, not the bottom ones.

That scenario also means that instead of killing saltwater fish it would kill freshwater fish. 

The problem is that god did not tell Noah to take fishes aboard the ark so that if the flood story was right then today we should only have saltwater fish or only freshwater fish (depending on which of the scenarios above happened wrt sea salt levels) but not both as either type would have completely died out during the many months where the salt levels were lethal for them.

padib said:

Anyway, minute 1:36 of movie provided. Strata are in no particular order (point 3). Really? Then why the identification by secular scientists of order pointing to various ages of biological history?

Context! Context! Context!

In this video he is talking about the rock in which the fossils are found, not the fossil themselves.

If the geological column was indeed deposited by the flood then the particular order of the rocks should be the heaviest (most dense) at the bottom and the lightest at the top, with the density increasing as you went from top to bottom.

The no particular order part comes from the fact that sedimentary rocks are not particularly layered by density. you can have denser rocks on top of less dense rocks.

The order identified by paleotonlogists pointing to various ages of biological history is the order of average complexity of the organisms of different rock layers going from less complex animals in older rocks (regardless of those older rocks' particular density) to more complex animals in younger rocks (regardless of those younger rocks' particular density).

padib said:

For point 2, the layering has been explained by catastrophic models, and has even been reproduced in model environments if memory serves me well

Link/source please.

padib said:

(Sri Lumpa, isn't that science: to be able to verify a theory given a model and have it play in real time? It may be false (based on false assumptions), but it remains a scientific practice)

I don't claim that all creationists approach are not scientific, but I do claim that positing a creator (or intelligent agent if you prefer) is not scientific as it is not disprovable and non predictive. If you give me a link to their experiment I may be able to see if they conducted it in a scientific way.

Not all theories and not all experiments are scientific.

Also the model does not necessarily need to be in real time. For example our models of star formations are based on known physical laws and observation of stars in formation in nebulas but we do not run them in real time.

As for the false assumption, if it is an assumption that turns out to prove false through experimentation then no problem, but if it is an assumption that was known to be false before the experimentation then it is not scientific to include known false facts in a theory.

padib said:

The movie is using strawman arguments... Ken Hovind has been repeatedly proven to be a fraud and his material discouraged by creation scientists. 

Ken Hovind is a creationist so it is not a straw man if the question is disproof of creationist flood theories in general. Now you may not believe in his creationist flood theory so it wouldn't necessarily disprove the theory you believe in but until now you did not state specifically which creationist theories you believe in so Ken Hovind, as a prominent creationist was a fair target for disproof.

If you would tell us which creationist theories you subscribe too we could more easily avoid such mistakes through ignorance and narrow our debate down to what you believe. From your earlier posts and championing of flood theories I suppose you are a young earth creationist not of the Ken Hovind kind, but that hardly narrow it down. For example, do you believe in a complete creation in genesis or that god may have continuously modified life over time (which, in your eyes would explain why it looks like evolution happened).

Also, him being a fraud, while it cast the shadow of a doubt on his theories, does not invalidate them in itself. If his theories were right and he was a fraud in other parts of his life, his theories would still be right regardless of his otherwise fraudulent behaviour.

padib said:

You're looking more for pressure systems at very high temperatures to find rapid stratification

Pressure I can see as it would have been under an enormous amount of water, but where does the high temperature come from to support rapid stratification all over the world atthe same time?

padib said:

The flood model supported by leading creation scientists assume simultaneous cataclysmic events such as large global earthquakes and massive volcanic eruptions.

Why does it? The bible only mentions water pouring from the sky and coming up from springs but makes no mention of either earthquakes nor volcanic eruptions. it seems strange if the bible is an accurate historical record that it doesn't mention those phenomena too.

Since the volcanic eruptions necessary for this model are not supported biblically how is this theory supporting the biblical account?

Is it a flood theory following the account of the bible or a flood/volcanic theory with no basis in either nature nor the bible?

padib said:

There are always different explanations to natural phenomena. Being closed to alternative theories is opposite to science.

Yes, there are. Another alternative explanation is that the Flying Spaghetti Monster threw meatballs in the sea causing it so splash and flood the land. But simply being an alternative explanation does not make it a scientific theory, you also need to be supported by evidence.

padib said:

The humilation of creationists is so bad. Not only is it insulting, but it's very hypocritical. If an evolutionist theory were seriously challenged (and many have been in the past), you would hear rushing keyboards to evolution material. Very hypocritical thinking.

I agree with you on it being hypocritical as both you and I, being laymen, do not remember all the sources for explanations out of hand and thus have to reseach them (I often know the argument I want to make but must research sources to explain it better as I don't catalogue them).

For scientists of the field whose theory was challenged I would expect them to be able to answer most challenges from the knowledge deriving from daily study of their field, the exception being for novel arguments that might necessitate experiment or understanding of a part of the field that they are less familiar with.

padib said:

For the case of rapid stratification in catastrophic scenarios, this resource may be interesting to you, if you're truly open-minded.

http://creationwiki.org/Flood_geology

Right off the bat I can tell you why their approach is not scientific: " Creation geology is based on the assumption that the Biblical flood described in the book of Genesis was a real and historical event of global magnitude"

They start from that conclusion and try to prove it. Which is the opposite of the scientific process:

Worse: 

Creation geologists reject radiometric dating because the assumption of deep time (millions and billions of years) is required for the dates of rock layers to be accepted as real. Since the flood and the flood layers are known in creationism to be less than 5000 years old, computed old dates are completely irrelevant to any flood model.

They purposefully ignore evidence that contradict their claim. I can understand ignoring it if you don't know about it (right until somebody tells you about it). I can accept the odd creationist ignoring contradicting evidence because they are humans and not all of them will be honest (same thing can happen with scientists who are also human) but the way he says it means that they are ignoring it on purpose solely because it disagree with their theory.

How can you claim that this theory is scientific?

Flood geologists also conclude that land canyons such as the Grand Canyon were most likely formed during catastrophic hot mud slides such as those observed during the eruption of Mt. St. Helens. One particular hot mud slide at Mt. St. Helens carved a canyon 140 ft. deep and 17 miles long in a single day.

What was the material eroded in the Mt St Helens canyon? Volcanic ash.

What was the materials eroded in the Grand Canyon? Shale, sandstone, limestone.

It would be like if I took ash from a wood stove, put it on a flat surface, used a watering can to simulate pouring rain, saw the erosion of the ash and concluding that if I replaced that fresh, nonconsolidated ash with shale, sandstone or limestone I would get the same speedy result.

Also, they used the depth of ash deposited to demonstrate that meters of sediments can be deposited a day but those ash sediments might start as meters when they are first deposited but further deposition would shrink that depth by applying pressure on top until it would not be meters of low density ash anymore but much shallower amounts of higher density material like tuff.

If they want to argue that the hundreds of meters of sedimentary rock was formed that way in less than a year then they need that hundreds of meter to start as a much higher higher depth of less dense material. How high? I do not know as it would depend on the density of the final material and the density of the start material but an extremely conservative figure would be to simply double the size of the layer as it would represent a simple doubling/halving of the density on average (kinda like stepping on wood ash to make it denser) so that now you need more than a kilometer's worth of material to get deposited. Depending on the density difference betwen starting sediment and end rock the problem of the depth of the sediment becomes worse and worse for higher differences.

Flood geologists point to the existence of large oil deposits as the result of the accumulation of large amounts of dead plant and animal matter during the flood which were subsequently compressed below the surface. They argue that there is no evidence of fossil fuels being formed today, or any clear mechanism for how it could occur without catastrophe. They argue that the flood provides the necessary catastrophe

if it was the case that oil fields where formed by a global flood then their repartition should be mostly uniform across the globe as the flood was uniform across the globe (mostly because not all regions will have the same amount of animals). However we have regions of the world that are rich in oil (like the middle east) and others bereft of it "En France on a pas de petrole mais on a des idees".

padib said:

I'm currently reading a very detailed, scientific and high-quality article on the chalk beds mentioned in the video, from a catastrophist view point. I suggest you follow if you want to have a discussion. I read your stuff, you read mine!

First, I expect you to read my posts if you want to answer to them of course but the links I provide are mostly* to support my position. I try to make the argument here in my own words as much as possible as otherwise it devolves into a link fest. So, I only expect you to read the links I provide if you are interested in further information. If you are not, don't read them.

Second. While I read your posts in their entirety I do not necessarily read your links in their entirety either or try to rebut them in their entirety either as if I did you probably would just bury me in links and expect me to refute decades of creationist writing with little effort on your part.

This is also why I didn't bother refuting the articles you linked in their entirety, showing their overall lack of scientific method is enough for a first pass and if there is a particularly salient point didn't refute that you believe in you can write it here..

* at least one exception I can think of was the Expelled Exposed link, but I did say that I hadn't rad it myself and only gave it because you seemed interested in the other side of the story.

padib said:
http://creation.com/images/pdfs/tj/j10_1/j10_1_107-113.pdf

You said that the reason you were a creationist was because "my foundation is Genesis. If that's not true, the rest is bogus" so i start from the principle that what you advance as your belief must not only support the possibility of a flood but support the possibility of Noah's flood as literally described in the bible.

Unfortunately for you the introduction of your link does no such thing. It claims:

"In this article, I present arguments which suggest that all of the Upper Cretaceous chalk is post-Flood, formed over a timescale measured in decades."

"However, as has been pointed out above, the Chalk is associated in both Europe and the United States with a marine transgression, not a retreat of  Flood waters"

So his claim is that the chalk was not deposited during the flood but was deposited in the sea and the sea floor was then lifted (marine transgression) above sea level.

Such a mechanism doesn't need the flood at all to work as it is the same mechanism that science uses to explain it. So while it does not contradict the flood theory it does not support it either.

"This suggests that chalk sediment fell so rapidly that the fish had to retreat to their host, being unable to escape because of the build-up of sediment, and that death was followed by rapid fossilisation. At the very least, these evidences require non-uniformitarian conditions."

This was done in water so even if the body was not buoyant it still would take time for the inoceramus to fall to the ocean floor before being buried in sediment; time that the fishes could have used to escape (note that the rate of descent would not be dependent on the number of inoceramus dying but upon their density which would be lower than clay in the same way that our density is lower than bone). So what is the explanation? I have no idea, but until there is concrete evidence to show that they fell so fast that the fish could not escape (drop a shell so that it fall in water and compare the arate of descent in the air with the rate of descent in a similar amount of water) then there might be another explanation.

"The lack of evidence for a deepening depositional sequence is a further indication that the uniformitarian models of deposition are wanting"

They seem to believe that modern geology is strictly uniformitarian and not catastrophic at all. but as i said earlier, catastrophe exists today andthere is no reason to assume it didn't exist in the past so that phenomenon might be better explained by a catastrophe causes no problem to geology. There lack compelling evidence for a synchronised global catastrophe caused by a flood however (like the K-T extinction for example).

"Estimated maximum rates of formation are 10-30 mm per 1,000 years" for modern chalk.

Their thesis being that it might have been different right after the flood. How different exactly? 

They claim that the 100-200m of chalk were deposited in decades so it would be at least 100m in 100 years (1m/years) and at most 200m/20 years (20m/years).

How much more than current chalk formation is that? 10mm/1000 years is 1m/100 000 years and 30mm/1000 is about 1m/33 000 years so chalk would have had to form about 33 000 to 2 000 000 times faster right after the flood as now. What evidence is there for that? Especially given that by restricting himself to after the flood he can't use the excuse that during the flood there would have been the nutrients of the dead plants and animals drowned.

Worse for your argument, it also contradict the flood theory that says that most of the fossils were deposited during the flood as if the cretaceous layers of chalk were deposited after the flood then so were the cenozoic fossils (fund in layers higher than the cretaceous) which means that high number of fossils post-flood is possible under their theory, which means that high number of pre-flood are possible too, which contradicts the premise that most of the fossils were deposited during the flood due to the flood and that therefore there would only be a small number of non-flood fossils.

padib said:

At least you address what is said, not who said it.

Somehow this sound like a jab at me even though I did my best to refute what was said, not who said it. If it is ajab at me and I failed in that could you point out where so I can either correct it or correct your misunderstanding of it if it was a "what was said" case that you read as a "who said it" case.

padib said:

I would not expect creationism to explain everything any more than I would expect science to explain everything but if the basis of their reasoning is faulty then that is reason to, if not dismiss the whole article then not waste time in sifting what is not invalidated by the faulty basis from the rest (like I did with the video whose faulty basis was to try to refute evolution by refuting abiogenesis).

If you feel such an article has got some redeeming point you can advance it yourself.

BTW, at least part of his point (buoyancy) was discredited in the second part of the video whose first part was linked here as it pointed out that dead animals either float or sink but do not stay seperated in layers so that you might not have only one layer of animals but you still would have at most two layers, one of buoyant dead animals and one of non-buoyant dead animals. Another part (animals moving further from the flood with higher intelligence) was also discredited (why are they intelligent enough to move away from the flood to start with but stupid enough to stop afterward). Besides it is not like the flood was supposed to be instantaneous, it supposedly took 40 days for the water to rise so the animals could move gradually and you should find more in higher altitude, not necessarily in a higher strata. 

**skipping a post because it answers to Allfreedom's post so I will try to remember to deal with it then**

padib said:

Not all creationists are trustworthy sources of science, believe me.

I have absolutely zero problem believing you .

padib said:

Sri Lumpa mentioned it "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.", or smthg similar.

Well, I don't totally subscribe to the saying as a disease can debilitate you (making you weaker) without killing you but in the case of scientific theories it often is the case, though you can have new facts that make a theory less likely (weaker) without disproving it outright. 

So it is more of a general principle, not a rule or anything.

"I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"

Allfreedom99 said:

Science can be described as; The intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment. The early humans did this, but didn't know what science really encompased. 

That's a pretty good definition though I would be more restrictive and specify that modern science is the formalised and systematic...

We did a lot of things that are now part of science before we had science but a lot of modern science's advance has to do with formalising the scientifc method so there is a standard that we try to achieve (not always, only human...). I would also add a part after experiment that says " and the development of models based on both".

It's like Observation -> Model (theory) -> Experiment -> back to observation of the result of the experiment forming an hopefully virtuous cicle.

Still, it's a pretty good definition.

Allfreedom99 said:

Agreed. Science is not living and breathing. I could have used better wording in this instance. A more appropriate explanation of my point is that there is an absolute truth that exists, but man on his own will likely never be able to prove it without any doubt.

Not with science. We can only approach it asymptotically without ever reaching it. There is just a point where the difference is small enough to be meaningless, like saying that the earth is a sphere in day to day conversation instead of precising that it is an irregular oblate spheroid for example. Other, like Dawkins feel that the likelihood of a god existing is low enough as to be meaningless and take that leap of faith (which it is, no matter how small a leap it might be).

As for religion, it can only prove that absolute truth to us upon our death where we will either see we were right (theist in the right religion), we were wrong (theist in the wrong religion or agnostic/atheist if a god exist) or no proof at all (everybody if there is no god).

Allfreedom99 said:

You come from the premise of, "our Universe and its properties exists by means which we cannot fully explain with sure confidence, however they exist outside of any real possibility of a creator or higher being."

Not quite. The premise is that regardless of whether such a creator exist, because he is (if he exists) from outside the universe he cannot be studied with science. Since he cannot be studied by science, assuming its existence is not scientific.

Allfreedom99 said:

This is the same approach as saying, "My car has absolutely no maker, or designer. That mass of metal, rubber, frabrics, ect just became a car on its own."

Mor like: there is such a thing as a car and I do not know what caused it to be, nor can I prove or disprove whether it was made by an intelligent agent from outside the universe (supposing humans didn't make cars but they appeared in nature). Since I can neither prove nor disprove such an agent, supposing that there is one would cut short the enquiry as to the origin of the car to "because god made it" or something equivalent and thus is a sterile and unverifiable hypothesis. The only logical conclusion is not to make such hypothesis and see if i can find evidence of mechanisms that could have created that car without such an agency.

Allfreedom99 said:

Using science one can determine by examination that a car was designed and made by an intelligent maker. 

No you can't. All you can say is that it looks too complicated to have been made by natural means and the temptation is then to conclude that it must have been made by an intelligent maker but if you do not look for mechanisms that could have made it naturally then you are not going to find them.

Allfreedom99 said:

Im sure you will try to counter this

Oh my god! You read my mind!

Allfreedom99 said:

but indeed when discussing the origin of our universe the premise of a scientist should be to use science to try and prove whether the universe can sceintifically exist without the existance of a designer, which they have yet to do even though you and some scientists claim they have.

Well, normally  they should claim that the probability of the universe needing a designer is infinitesimally small as you can never disprove (or prove) a designer totally (he could have designed through evolution for example, which would be the view of the Catholic church). it is however not easy to constantly keep a strict language.

Allfreedom99 said:

The current mindset of the scientist is to say, "The existence of our Universe required no intelligent maker"

More like: The evidence we have point to a universe that does not need an intelligent maker to have happened.

It doesn't mean that it wasn't made by an intelligent maker that was powerful enough to make it look like he wasn't needed, it only means that it is what the universe looks like to us.

Allfreedom99 said:

They might as well say,"The existence of my car required no intelligent maker"

More like: The evidence we have about cars and how they come about points to a universe were cars do not need an intelligent maker to happen.

Of course, in our world we have evidence of cars needing an intelligent maker, but that is because said maker(s) are part of this universe and can thus be observed and could be experimented upon if we needed to understand a car's origin. The sentence I wrote would only be valid in a universe where cars occur naturally and we have no a priori knowledge of their origin.

Allfreedom99 said:

The universe exists with certain laws just like a car was made with certain laws of what its designer made it capable of doing for specific reasons. Do you not see the truth in this?

Again, you start with the premise of a designer and ends with the conclusion of a designer, do you see the turning in circle in this?

Allfreedom99 said:

I agree I may have articulated the big bang theory not percisley accurate. I have some relative understanding of it, but the problem is I have read so many different views on it from different scientists that there can be slight differences depending on who you read or talk to.

Understandable as these are mind bending ideas and even now our understanding of it is not complete se there can be many slightly differing explanations.

Allfreedom99 said:

Now, first of all I could easily punch a huge hole into your theory right off the bat. The farther back in time we go you say the space would be smaller and smaller until there is no space at all. So you are essentially saying space came about from no space at all...

That's not what I say, it is what the evidence the universe give us say.

Like I said, mind bending.

It gets worse. You may have heard that you cannot go faster than light as it is the fastest thing in the universe? Well, while it might be the fastest thing IN the universe, the universe itself can expand at a rate faster than the speed of light. Black holes can in theory have so much gravitational force (read space bending force) that they can bend the space around their event horizon faster than the speed of light. The matter itself doesn't go FTL but the space does. Astrophysics is totally awesome if you don't mind your brain melting every so often.

Allfreedom99 said:

How does that theory even get discussed in realm of science? you have no space which then becomes space. Essentially you are saying that at the farthest back that time can possibly go there was "jack Sh1t" in existence and then eventually you have space, matter, gravity, elements, laws, chemicals, stars, planets, life, ect. 

Because that is what the evidence we have point to. The theory was originally formulated soon after Hubble (after whom the space telescope was name) discovered that the galaxies were moving away from each other, indicating an expanding universe.

Interestingly, Einstein's Theory of General Relativity predicted it mathematically but because there was not enough evidence of an expanding universe for it to be the main scientific theory at the time (the main theory was a steady state universe) he proposed a constant to balance the equation but when we got evidence of an expanding universe thanks to Hubble he abandoned the idea (it is an example of an assumption that turned out to be false after new observation).

Some time after Hubble discovered the expansion of the universe a Catholic priest* proposed what is now called the big bang theory, basing it on general relativity and Hubble's observations.

At first it was not widely accepted, in part because it was proposed by a priest and was thought to be an attempt to put god into science (like the ID guys are trying but with much less success) as the prevailing theory before the big bang was of a steady state universe with no beginning nor end, whereas the big bang theory introduced a beginning to the universe, thus a creation point, thus supporting the theistic viewpoint.

The reason big bang theory is prevalent today is because evidence was discovered to support it, most importantly the cosmic background in the 60's.

So the reason why it is accepted is not because scientist wish it to be so, when they accepted it they accepted it despite wishing it not to be so but because the evidence pointed towards it being right.

* see padib, creationists can make scientific theories, they just have to play by science's rule.

In science, ultimately it doesn't matter whether it makes sense to our mind at first, but what matters is what the evidence points to.

Allfreedom99 said:

How does that get even considered in science, which teaches that in order to have certain matter there must be something to make the matter in the first place?

It doesn't teach that, I think you mean the conservation of mass, which state that in a closed system mass is not created nor destroyed, only transformed (but makes no claim as to there being something or somebody to make it in the first place).

And yes, it does seemingly contradict it. But the origin of the big bang (that is what caused it) was outside of this universe just like for those who believe god created the universe, he was outside of it too. And as neither are in the universe, neither are necessarily bound by its laws, like the conservation of mass. The difference between both is that there is evidence that says the universe had such a beginning, but there is no evidence saying that that beginning was caused by an intelligent agent (nor is there evidence saying it wasn't).

A lot of people believe that the big bang was caused by god, but if you practice science, given that it could have happened without a god then it is a suprefluous hypothesis.

Allfreedom99 said:

How could beings such as us have the ability of understanding and the ability to use logic if in the beginning there was no intelligent force to allow us to have the ability to understand.

You are just pushing things back. if we assume that our ability to understand and to use logic implies that there was an intelligent force to allow us to have that ability then that intelligent force's ability to understand and us logic implies that there was an intelligent force (call it metagod if you want) to allow it to have that ability. Repeat ad infinitum.

If there is a break at any point in the chain whereby one of those entities could have arisen without an prior intelligent entity giving it its intelligence then that entity can be humans just as much as it can be god.

So there is a logic in either postulating an infinite chain if intelligent entities creating one another (and maybe we will create truly intelligent entities in a computer simulation one day and be gods to them that can change their world at will) or in postulating that one of those entities did not need a prior intelligent entity and then the logical place where to put the break in the chain is with us as we have incontrovertible evidence of our own existence but we don't have it for god.

Postulating that one of those entities did not need a prior intelligent entity and breaking the chain at the second level (god) is totally arbitrary given the lack of evidence for his existence.

Allfreedom99 said:

According to a scientist with no belief in God 

I do not know that all scientist in the field of abiogenesis are atheists/agnostics but some of them are bound to be.

Allfreedom99 said:

life began as chemical reactions. chemicals do not possess the ability to understand or use logic.  

Nor do they need to. Does wood and a spark need to ability to understand or use logic to create fire? It so happen that through mechanism as yet unknown (though we have some ideas, you can call it god if you wish) a molecule was formed that had the ability to replicate itself, consuming resources in its environment to do so. Self replication and the ability to use what's available to you to do so (consuming resources)  being the basis of life.

Once you have even such a rudimentary beginning you can have the princpiples of evolution applied to it: random changes during copying due to the imperfection of the copying process and outside forces like ionising radiation on the one hand and natural selection on the other hand as these primitive forms of life compete with each others for resources (with some eventually evolving to use others as resources).

Allfreedom99 said:

If there is no intelligent force to input the code of understanding to eventually arise in more complex life, then how would the first cells of life obtain that code of knowledege and intellect to appear later in more complex life forms?

You assume that the first cells had knowledge and intellect. All that is needed to start the machine is a molecule able to reproduce itself. As the reproduction is not going to be 100% prefect, if the change results in a molecule that is more competitive it will strive, if the change results in a molecule that is less competitive it will either disappear or survive without striving as much as the others.

Lather, Rinse, Repeat for a few hundred million years and the complexity is so great that intelligence appears. As intelligence allows you to overcome other physical deficits (like not being as fast as your predator) it is an evolutionary advantage, so mutations that lead to more intelligence will tend to get spread more widely, until you get a life form intelligent enough to ask itself where all that intelligence came from.

Allfreedom99 said:

The major links in the molecules-to-man theory that must be bridged include (a) evolution of simple molecules into complex molecules, (b) evolution of complex molecules into simple organic molecules,  evolution of simple organic molecules into complex organic molecules, (d) eventual evolution of complex organic molecules into DNA or similar information storage molecules, and (e) eventually evolution into the first cells.

No, you just need one molecule able to reproduce itself. If a simple molecule cannot reproduce itself then it cannot evolve into more complex molecules nor into organic molecules. No reproduction, no life, no evolution.

The only question is, how simple is the simplest molecule that can reproduce itself? Some scientists are trying to do so by removing genes from prokaryotic cells and see how small a genotype they can get but that is just a start as llike you said, before the first cell there probably were even simpler life forms with no ability to separate themselves from their environment with a cell wall.

Like I said in other posts, abiogenesis does not have a leading theory yet because our understanding is still limited, but once you have a living being, no matter how simple, evolution can kick in (well, as soon as said being reproduce enough to have many copies, some with mutations, competing for resources).

Allfreedom99 said:

Furthermore the parts required to provide life clearly have specifications that rule out most substitutions.

You forget the possibility that there may be parts that are present but do not contribute to life (like non-coding DNA in modern lifeforms). Mutations in those parts would be much less likely to cause problem in the short term and a combination of mutations (including one changing that part from non-coding to coding) can beneficial.

Look, I talked about a lot of that in my previous posts answering to padib so you might want to read them if you haven't yet.

Allfreedom99 said:

Not once has abiogenesis produced any form of DNA in all studies done so far

True, like I said, we do not understand everything yet, but that is no excuse for not looking, quite the opposite.

Also, you assume that the first forms of life had DNA, which is far from a foregone conclusion as DNA in modern cells needs the cell structure to reproduce DNA in new cells so that you have a chicken-egg situation. It is quite likely that the first forms of life had a more rudimentary form of reproduction. What is it? We do not know yet.

Allfreedom99 said:

abeogenesis is therefore not close to unlocking any mysteries of how the first living cells

Like I said it is not close on the human scale but compared to how long we thought spontaneous generation was how things worked (like crocodiles spontaneously came to life from logs rotting at the bottom of the pond, maggots spontaneously came from dead meat...) and how short an amount of time we have been working on abiogenesis (about 200 years) we did remarkable progress.

That it is close is jsut my estimation and hope and as for whether it will prove out to be close or not, only time will tell.

Allfreedom99 said:

Also more species are dieing off than the amount of new species we are finding. 

A lot of this is due to us plying nature to our need and destroying habitats in the process.

Allfreedom99 said:

The new species we are finding isn't due to new ones evolving, its due to an already existing species existing that we have just newly discovered.

Not all of them. For example in one of my prior posts I talked about speciation in lake Victoria's Cichlid population following a change in environment with the introduction of the Nile perch and higher levels of pollution. That speciation is mostly through hybridization (at least at the moment) so you might not recognise it as a speciation event on the ground that there were Cichlids with the various characteristics before, only in different species that did not formerly interbreed, not in the same species; so a lot also depends on how you define a species which is a harder job than it looks.

There is also the case of the "Nylon Eating Bacteria" which is very unlikely to be an already existing species that was discovered as the enzyme it uses to digest Nylon is not efficient at digesting other materials and Nylon didn't exist 100 years ago (so there was no reason for there to be a bacteria with such an enzyme at the time).

Allfreedom99 said:

The other explanation is species A mates with Species B and is able to create Species C.

Hybridisation, yeah. That's what I was mentioning earlier.

Allfreedom99 said:

No scientist that Im aware of has yet to prove that a certain species has evolved from another species without natural means of reproduction.

Well, evolution doesn't claim that species can evolve without natural means of reproduction anyway. Your sentence is very strange though so I think I am misunderstanding it. If you think I do could you rephrase it.

Allfreedom99 said:

Occam's razor suggests to use the most simplest method when it applys in science. The most simple explenation is often times the correct one. 

It also needs to be supported by evidence. The simplest explanation that is not supported by evidence (or worse, goes against evidence) is not likely to be the correct one.

It also only deals in probability as the simplest explanation fitting the evidence may not be the correct one but you can't know that until you have more evidence disproving that explanation and thus making the new simplest explanation that fits the old evidence and the new the most likely to be correct explanation (even though it wouldn't have been the simplest explanation before).

Allfreedom99 said:

Well, I dont see how the big bang without a creator is more simple than the universe with a creator. 

The universe has a certain amount of complexity. God has a certain amount of complexity too. Therefore an explanation that has both the universe and god in it is more complicated than an explication that only has the universe in it. (God+Universe) > Universe in terms of complexity

Allfreedom99 said:

The more simple and logical choice as I have laid out is a universe is a product. A product requires a maker. 

I guess we will have to agree to disagree about the simplicity of god. Which is rather strange as you are arguing for god's simplicity when earlier you were arguing for a single cell's complexity:
"This process requires multimillions of links, all which either are missing or controversial"
How many more links would an entity as complex as a god necessitate, ALL of which are missing.
Allfreedom99 said:

You cannot start with nothing and get something as the phrase goes. 

So how did you get god?

Allfreedom99 said:

Sri Lumpa, I believe it because it is the simplest explanation that makes sense and that offers the best evidence based on what information we have available.

First, explanations do not offer evidence, they are supported or disproved by them.

Second, it is neither the simplest explanation (as it adds a very complicated element to the already complicated universe) nor has it evidence supporting its necessity (on the other hand there is no evidence disproving its possibility, nor can there be).

Allfreedom99 said:

The big bang still does not offer enough explanation even though some evidence could support it.

It is not that some evidence could support it. It is that evidence does support it.

Allfreedom99 said:

There are some deep flaws in it.

I do not know how you can determine that given that it is obvious that you only have a very superficial understanding of it:

Allfreedom99 said:

And a universe that exists without some form of intelligent intervention goes completely against any scientific principal out there

No it doesn't, care to name one?

There are plenty of scientists that believe in an universe without some form of intelligent agent causing it, are you claiming that you understand science better than them?

Allfreedom99 said:

and yes the scientists who subscribe to it without questioning the its validity are just denying the obvious. Do you not see the evidence?

Not only do I see it, I also have a better understanding of it than you (though even my understanding could improve, it is one complicated universe).

Allfreedom99 said:

First part, it is likely that some believe in God because they are afraid of the unkown, but I would argue for many its because the evidence gives it a lot of weight.

Nope, the evidence point to the notion of a creator being unnecessary to the creation of the universe as we know it.

Allfreedom99 said:

Also the belief in a creator is much different than the belief in unicorns, leprechauns, dragons ect. You cannot put them in the same category. There is absolutely NO physical evidence that suggests unicorns exist. It is based on stories and fairytales. 

There is no physical evidence that suggest god exist either. Even if you believe that your god is not based on stories and fairytales you have to admit that other religion's gods are, from your point of view, based on stories and fairytales (conversely, from their point of view your god is based on stories and fairytales).  

Allfreedom99 said:

There is however some heavy evidence that a creator/ higher intelligent being does exist.  

Source please. At least padib gave me links to his beliefs so I could see them. all you do is repeat that there is heavy evidence without backing it up.

Allfreedom99 said:

Im like a broken record, but the proof is in the pudding. We can see, observe study, and examine our planet, other planets, our sun, the stars, and the universe and see a PRODUCT.

If you start looking for a product you will find a product. If you start looking for how things work you find out that they can work without the need to involve a god hypothesis.

Allfreedom99 said:

a product that has laws. LAWS CANNOT JUST BE IMPLICATED BY NOTHING! Can a rock create laws on its own? answer me that, please. You cannot deny there are certain laws in place that make everything work the way they do. If not then science would  not be reliable as so many variables would constantly be changing without laws. 

A rock does not create laws, it obeys them. You imply that the laws describing the behavior of nature as we observe it need to have been created. 

Guess what. Even if you are right that the bible (or whatever holy text you subscribe to) is a literal account, that literal account describes the behaviour of god. For god to have a nonrandom behaviour there must be laws in his home universe the he has to obey to. Where do those laws come from? Metagod? If not then you admit that the laws that he must by necessity be bound to (otherwise his world would not be reliable as so many variables would constantly be changing without laws) can be implicated by nothing.

And once again you have to either go on an infinite regression, stop at the first step (this universe) or stop at an arbitrary number of steps, whose number you arbitrarily decide to be 2 (our universe and god's universe).

Allfreedom99 said:

Have you given thought to why the snowflakes come out of the clouds the way they do with that particular pattern? yes the cloud develops them to appear in that fashion. Here si something interesting about snowflakes: As the snow crystal grows, it's often blown about in the sky. The air and temperature around the crystal are consistently changing. Snowflakes are very sensitive; even a small change in these conditions can lead to different growth patterns.The final shape of the crystal reflects these growth conditions in what it endured. The longer the snowflake is blown about in the air above, the more complex the resulting snow crystal. No two crystals have the exact same history so they don't grow in the same way. no two have ever been the same, or ever will be.

So snowflakes can be shaped by their environment but species cannot?

And I bet the probability of each snowflake having the exact shape that they turn out to have is extremely small, yet each of them do draw that extremely small odd on their first try.

See, extremely low probability of a given configuration happening is not such a barrier to order even without an intelligent agent acting behind the scene.

Allfreedom99 said:

It is more logical to believe in one God rather than a multitude of gods, if you look at our universe and its properties in the correct prism.

Let me guess. The correct prism is to assume the existence of god to see the existence of god. If not then what is the correct prism.

Allfreedom99 said:

If you observe the universe and come to the realization that it is a product with certain laws in place then you will see it has a maker. 

If you observe god and come to the realisation that it is a product with certain laws in place then you will see it has a maker... recurse ad infinitum

Allfreedom99 said:

One maker makes more sense than a multitude of makers to me, because of how many things work together and in a uniformal manner. A universe with conflicting laws cannot exist. For instance in a setting you cannot have the law of A and also not-A in the same time and same relationship. It would be like me saying, "My house is by the street, and it is not the case that my house is by the street". that contradicts itself. The universe incorporates certain laws that just work together. In light of that it makes the case even more that it was one Designer that formed the product of the universe together with the laws that all work together. 

I am not implying multiple makers for this universe. I am following the logical conclusion that if this universe needs a maker then that maker's universe needs a maker too...

Each maker creates the law of the next maker's universe until the final maker (which you call god) or first if going in the other direction creates the law of this universe.

Allfreedom99 said:

Also if the Designer of the universe is the ultimate being that incorporates all knowledge, power, eternity and energy then the need to support that being is null. That being is self sufficient.

Ah, the old copout.

Even if god exists and even if he is omniscient and omnipotent in this universe it does not necessarily follow that he is in his own universe anymore than me creating an artificial world where I can spy on all my  artificial intelligences (omniscient) and change the world at will (omnipotent) means that I have those power in my universe (the one we both share).

Allfreedom99 said:

Yes there is a dose of faith that has to be used in this instance

Yup, which is why it is not scientific.

Allfreedom99 said:

but also it is evident that a scientist also MUST use a dose of faith when try to explain that the universe originated with NOTHING, because that defys what science can prove. That goes against science at its core. Both view points MUST require some form of faith to believe them.

They don't need faith, they need evidence. So far the evidence point oto it being a possibility. Another possibility is a series of contracting and expanding universes, ours being the latest. The problem with that one is that it gives the same problem of regression to infinity as god does.

However, regardless of whether it is a problem or not does not matter. What matter is what the evidence shows. That the universe started much smaller than it is today, so small that the pressure and temperature was too high for atoms themselves to exist, is strongly supported by the cosmic background and any theory wanting to replace the big bang will have to explain it too.

Whether what came before the universe is nothing or another universe or our universe bubbled off another or any other possible theory for what caused the big bang is not settled and might never be as you are then trying to look outside the universe. but if it is ever to be settled then it will be by evidence, not by faith.

Allfreedom99 said:

So I argue you too have to have Faith that the Big Bang transpired with NOTHING. Faith, and belief is required in that instance so you too must say IMB (In My Belief).

I don't have faith that the big bang transpired with nothing. I know that the evidence strongly points to the big bang happening and that one of the possibilities is that there was nothing before it (though not the only possibility).

As for whether evidence will show if it  transpired from nothing I don't need to have faith in that either, I just have to wait for scientist to make their experiments and let the new data speak for itself. If it supports the big bang transpiring from nothing, good. If it supports another theory, good too. If it support none of the current theories the neven better as it means that we will learn more about the universe than if it supported our theories.

I can only hope that that evidence will be found (if it ever is) before I die.

Allfreedom99 said:

You and some scientists can continue to try and explain the existence of a universe with laws and order that began from nothing, but through the study of science we know that matter can not just appear when nothing  was there to begin with.

In this universe, no, it would break the law of conservation of mass. But the event causing the big bang is by definition not in our universe and we do not know what rules it would follow.

Allfreedom99 said:

If a scientist built an empty room that was impervious to rot, decay, and rust and sealed it off, no matter how long you wait you cannot get the creation of a complex product like a computer in that room.

You mean evolution can't have happened because earth is a closed system? Well, it isn't, there is a big ball of nuclear fire pouring energy on it.

Allfreedom99 said:

As far as your last statement, you make it, because you have the incorrect view of who the Intelligent Designer really is.

I have a different view of what would be needed for a god to exist. You have in no way shown that it is incorrect to assume that he would have rules to follow. In fact if you assume there aren't rules for him to follow then how does he do his thinking? That would be like a human with his neurons firing randomly. that would make god into a constant state of epileptic seizure... actually you might be onto something as it would explain a lot about the bible. 

Allfreedom99 said:

It comes down to using some logic and I agree a dose of faith to believe that God is self suffiecent and eternal. One who does not need support, or other intelligent beings.

Not so much faith as the refusal to consider the logical proposition that to function anything needs to follow rules as if there are no rules there is only chaos and thus no function (at least no useful one). If there are rules then those rules need explaining just as much as ours do. So if there can be such a thing as self-sufficiency then the god hypothesis is redundant.

Allfreedom99 said:

Its a much easier explanation than the one you argue, which also requires faith. Obtaining a complex product with the start of nothing requires tremendous faith, because it falls outside of the realm of science in what we know.

It doesn't require faith, only evidence. Scientists did not come to those conclusions by knowledge through faith, but by putting forward the best explanation they could for the evidence they have. It's not their fault that the world turned out to be more strange than you are comfortable to handle.

And it doesn't fall outside of the realm of science as we know, although if your post is representative of your overall knowledge of science then it does seem to fall outside of the realm of the science you know.

Allfreedom99 said:

The argument makes much more sense, because through the sudy of science we see a complex product, which is the universe. The two options are it came about in same way or form by a complex being, or else "magic" has always existed and somehow a universe just spontaneously appeared with the codes to create all matter, laws, and life.

You got it exactly backward. The god option is the magic option. You can't have god without having magic as magic is affecting the world through supernatural means. God is by definition a magical being.

Saying that god is not a magical being is the same as saying that god cannot do miracles; then he wouldn't be god.

As for the origin of the law of the universe, it is likely to be beyond the realm of science. Science is about finding what they are, but it doesn't mean it will necessarily tell us where they come from. Anybody can choose to believe that they came from god but whatever they came from, what matters in science is what they are.

Allfreedom99 said:

a complex being makes more sense than a spontaneous existance of a complex product.

You said that you believed god to be self-sufficient, this means that your version of god is a complex being that spontaenously came into existence.

Science does not claim that the universe came into being spontaneously, nor does it claim that it started complex. It started with some rules which as it cooled gave rise to complexity. And yes, it does seem to break the second law of thermodynamics. But if that is what the evidence suggest then that is what we need to follow (it is a compl).

Allfreedom99 said:

How would I sound to a scientist if I went to him/her and said, "hey I was sitting on my bed last night and I saw pieces of metal, transistors, microprocessor, and other computer components form together and they all came together to make a computer right in my lap!" They would ask me if I take medication.

Except that it is not what science claim at all and is closer to what you claim. Science claim that the universe started simply, being just a very small and extremely dense point of pure energy, and that through the action of certain natural laws some parts of it became more complex. You claim that the universe came into being in a few days (if I understand your belief), which is closer to your computer being formed from complex components in a short time. Your explanation also need an extremely complex component whose coming into being you refuse it explain.

Also, the reason scientists claim that is because they have evidence supporting it. If you tried to explain your computer coming together on its own as a scientific theory other scientists would ask to see the evidence you have upon which you base your theory and what experiment you propose to conduct to see if its results support your theory.

And you know what? If you could show through experimentation that what you observed was possible then however absurd it would seem on its face it would be a valid scientific theory. All it would mean is that the universe you live in is weirder and even more amazing than what was previously thought. 

Allfreedom99 said:

Stars have not produced any DNA that we have seen.

No, but they have produced the atoms which are the components of DNA from simpler atoms. My point was that you do not need an intelligent agency to get a complex product from a simpler component and a given process.

Allfreedom99 said:

So far scientists have yet to provide create anything that is even basic building blocks for DNA from dead matter.

Actually they can create DNA from dead matter (DNA synthesis) but they do not have a complete natural process for doing so.

And again, you also get fixed on the DNA part. It doesn't have to start out being DNA any more than it needs to start out being intelligent. All it needs is to start out reproducing itself, sometime imperfectly, at which point evolution takes over and DNA and intelligence and other traits are by products of it.

Allfreedom99 said:

Its looking like even though dead matter can produce some more complex things it has never produced anything even close to the building blocks of DNA.

Nor does it need to. It only need a self-replicating molecule upon which evolutionary processes can be applied.

Allfreedom99 said:

So this  should not even be in the discussion if it hasn't even come close.

it should not be in the discussion because it doesn't need to be the start of life. You are the one who brought DNA in the conversation and claimed that it was necessary to abiogenesis, refusing to consider the possibility that DNA may not be the simplest for of life possible.

Also, all this is abiogenesis which I have admitted upfront is far from settled science. But even if you could disprove all of today's abiogenesis theories you still would not have disproved evolutionary theory nor would you have disproved the big bang theory.

padib said:
Allfreedom99 said:

Its looking like even though dead matter can produce some more complex things it has never produced anything even close to the building blocks of DNA. So this  should not even be in the discussion if it hasn't even come close.

Yet it is taugh in textbooks at school and considered the only possible truth.

Abiogenesis is taught at school as the only possible truth? If so you have a crappy school as I have said that we do not know mechanisms of the origin of life very well.

If you meant evolution then you are once again engaged in a straw man by claiming that not knowing how life came to be (abiogenesis) means we don't know how it evolved from there (evolution). It also is not taught as the only possible truth but as the most likely explanation given the evidence we have.

Of course you would prefer to replace it with having creationism in textbooks and teaching it in school as the only possible truth and wouldcall it an improvement even though you do not have the evidence supporting it.

padib said:

Alternate views are vehemently repressed and considered indoctrination, even harmful. Which is truly indoctrinating? Who is sitting on Gallileo's seat in the 21st century? Who is wearing the papal robe, crown and scepter?

Nope, actually most of those theories that are today accepted in science first started as alternate theories. The reason they got accepted (even those proposed by religious people like the big bang) was because they were supported by evidence.

If you are teaching explanations supported by evidence you are not teaching a belief but how the world appear to us, thus not indoctrinating.

padib said:

Who is wearing the papal robe, crown and scepter?

Benedict the XVI's, whose church incidentally has no problem with evolution or the big bang.

padib said:

Yes, it is he, Mr. Science Naturalist.

You seem to work under the delusion that the underdog challengin the prevailing theory is always right.

It was not because Galileo and other scientists were underdogs that they were right, it was because supported by evidence.

Had Galileo been pope and scientist at the same time and done the same work he would have been just as right as he was as an underdog.

padib said:

The problem with Mr. Science Naturalist is that he bears the wrong last name. See, science is naturalistic in function, but not limited to a Naturalistic (human) viewpoint.

I agree, science is naturalistic because, not being able to experiment upon spiritual matters, nature is the only thing it can experiment on. Conversely, this means that any non natural means injected in science makes it non scientific.

As for its viewpoint, I would say that science doesn't have one, not being an thinking being, but scientists do. And their view point can range from purely naturalistic to religious like your link to christian thinkers in science amply demonstrate.

padib said:

It is naturalistic  in that it attempts to demonstrate things with a naturalistic framework: all things revolving around the world around us and its governing laws.

Correct. Which again means that non-natural means like an out-of-the-universe designer is not science.

padib said:

It is absolutely compatible with a believe in the metaphysical.

What is? 

Science? Nope, as you proved yourself with your link.

The naturalistic viewpoint? Nope, as nothing prevents you from using that viewpoint when doing science and taking a different viewpoint in different aspects of your life, like the persons in the list you linked to do.

padib said:

As a matter of fact, many God-fearing people discovered said naturalistic laws. Must I name them? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_thinkers_in_science

true, I never claimed that only atheist can practice science. The common point between them being that when engaged in science they do not try to make their religious beliefs butt in.

padib said:

To deny this proves the elementary nature of the Anti-Creationist propaganda, viewpoint and community. Why subject yourself to such baseness? You can be an evolutionist, but why subscribe to such an ignorant sub-position of its mainstream viewpoint?

I never denies the ability of religious people to practice science. A lot of religious people, which are creationist by definition, think that the teory of the big bang and the theory of evolution are the best explanations we have for how we got here; they just believe that said process were started by god.

So, given how many creationists accept evolution and the big bang, how can it be anti-creationist? Just because the world does not support you particular creationist view point does not mean thast science is out to get you.

padib said:

You can be an evolutionist, but why subscribe to such an ignorant sub-position of its mainstream viewpoint?

And what ignorant position is that? The position that those advancing a competing theory should have evidence supporting it better than the incumbant theory? How is a request for evidence ignorant? Oh yeah, when the evidence goes against your religious belief.

padib said:

As a person of faith, here's how it works: you have things you read in your book, and then you use science to see if it all makes sense. 

Which is not a scientific approach: 

padib said:

And presto! You've become a legitimate, religious scientist.

Nope, you are still a religious person but you still aren't a scientist as you do not follow the scientific method. One isn't a scientist merely by claiming to be. One is a scientist by practicing science.

padib said:

Now what's the problem this time? What christian thinker is less a scientist than those we have today, because of his faith?

No, because he lets his faith interfere with his practice of science. If he is able to separate the two; practicing science when studying scientific topics and practicing his faith when not then he can be a scientist. If he cannot separate the two then he is no scientist but merely a believer parading as one.

padib said:

I will admit that being an atheist normally helps to push the envelope, but an honest believer should do the same, if not more.

I agree that a believer can do the same. For example Newton's belief in alchemy inspired him in his formulation of the theory of universal gravitation. Where it helps being atheist is when the evidence points against a particular religious belief as if you hold said belief you are more likely to want to fudge the results to be in accord with your beliefs.

padib said:

If God really is who he claimed to be, He should definitely be up to proving himself and his handywork by contradiction.

You assume that he wants to prove himself. If the world was created by god he created it in a way that does not show his existence, which would then be a strong indication that he does not want to prove himself. Maybe he would prefer you not to prove him through science but for you to have faith in him.

padib said:

Then again, some atheists are backward thinkers. They want to close the envelope because they are afraid the foundations of their belief will be shaken.

it is not because their beliefs will be shaken, it is because the evidence does not point towards it. When the evidence pointed towards a universe with a beginning many scientists accepted it despite it supporting the possibility of the universe being created.

You also fail to explain all those scientist who believe in god and accept evolution and the big bang. Are those rejecting your version of creationism because they are afraid it will force them to believe in a god they already believe in or are they rejecting it because the evidence disproves it.

padib said:

I can understand it, but is it appreciated in the debate? Is it fair to call yourself transparent and open-minded when that is your position?

My position is that you should support your position with evidence just like we do.

Is it not fair and open-minded of scientists to hold you to the same standard of evidence to which they hold themselves up?

How is it fair and open minded of you to insist that those standards which scientists hold themselves up to and that are the bedrock of science, should be waivered for you just so you can pretend that your religious beliefs are scientific?

Are you claiming that the NFL is not fair and open minded because they won't let me play Gridiron Football with Basketball rules?

Is it unfair if a team lose a NFL match because their players were trying to dribble and consequently fell on their face? 

Because that is what young earth creationists do. They claim to be playing/practicing science, ignore its rules and then complain that scientist do not take them seriously.

Man up and either start doing science or stop pretending you are and accept that your religious belief is just that, a belief. But stop whining like a little boy that they won't let you play with the ball when you don't want to follow the rules of the game.