By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Article: When "Must-Have" Games do not sell, who is to blame?

RolStoppable said:
eugene said:
The answer is clear. Not enough systems were sold to the people who would buy it. Example, Ratchet and Clank would sell 3 million to the casuals on the PS2, but since they dont own a PS3, it wont sell to them. UT3 looks way generic and just another Unreal game like all the others before it and people would rather get COD 4. Uncharted doesnt look new or exciting at all. Drake is the most generic looking charachter ever. Just a regular clean cut white boy from Bayside High. Zach and Wiki, uhh, what is that??

An adventure game for the Wii which hasn't been released in Europe yet.

It's a little too early to call it a flop considering that the game might sell the most in Europe and the development budget of the game was rather low. 300k lifetime should be enough for the game to turn in a healthy profit for Capcom (and meet their sales expectations for the game I think).

I think RolStoppable's post must be given a proper mention. Historically the US market hasn't been significant as a target for Adventure games since the demise of the old Lucas Arts, and Asia has never given a chance to the Adventure genre... most of Adventure games' sales are in Europe, so if Zack & Wiki reach 150k sales outside of Europe it must be considered a success, especially if you take in account it's low budget and being in a genre pratically unexistant in consoles.

If Z&W does well enough on Wii, I can see Capcom porting it to PC, where the bigger fanbase exists.

hunter_alien said:
Game_boy said:
hunter_alien said:
UT3 is not really fare . It was released only in the US partially and only for 2 weeks ... it could do muvh batter ...

The PC version has also flopped from what I've read. Looks like hardcore PC gamers are more into potential hardware than stuff that uses it.

Yes , the PC version floped , but thats not the case at this point with the PS3 version . The PC version barely reached 40k in a month , while the PS3 version did that in its first days :) And the game should be a PC seller , not a console one :)

I think UT3 did 34k, 50% of what Epic was expecting (67k). A big flop, especially considering it barely entered the NPD PC top20 (it reached 19th place only).

The US is not a big PC market. With it's +300million inhabitants, it has a smaller PC market than Germany (80million) and South Korea (50million), just to put thing into perspective. US probably is about 15% of the entire PC market. Now, if a PC game comes close to 100k in the first weeks, then it's a definite success, like Crysis which did 87k and 25% higher than expectations in the NPD.

Game_boy said:
hunter_alien said:
UT3 is not really fare . It was released only in the US partially and only for 2 weeks ... it could do muvh batter ...

The PC version has also flopped from what I've read. Looks like hardcore PC gamers are more into potential hardware than stuff that uses it.

UT3 is decent but there are much better PC FPS out there, and UT3 brought nothing new to it's franchise.

Around the Network

If they had advertised Uncharted as much as Halo 3 and it got the same media attention and praise, it would have sold a couple million by now

RolStoppable said:
leo-j said:
I blame no advertising, half of my friends dont even know heavenly sword is out yet..

Why didn't you tell him?

lol

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

i think its ironic when you look at capcom's games. the more casual looking game (Z&W) has sold pretty poorly, while their two hardcore games (resident evil 4 and umbrella chronicles) have blown away expectations, nearing 2m combined sales

Check out my pyro tf2 vid :)

Bet With routsounmanman: By the end of Q1 2008 Capcom WONT have announced a RE5 Wii Edition OR a new RE (classic gameplay) for the Wii (WON)

No simple answer. It comes down to four things:

1. The game itself.

Forget quality - we know shitty games can sell as well as good ones. But some games will simply have a limited appeal. Zack and Wiki is a perfect point. "A new point and click adventure!" is not going to get the average gamers blood going. The good thing about Z&W is that this weakness was evident from day one, it was budgeted accordingly, and should not need many sales to make it a success. The problem is when normal, or even excessive, resources are dedicated to such titles (Viva Pinata?)

2. Timing.

Don't release it up against heavy weights like Mario or HALO. Again, Zack and Wiki is a prime example, but I can also point to Beyond Good and Evil.

3. Marketing.

Part of this is game design and ackaging - really, does anyone look at the characters and box art for Zack and Wiki and think "Boy! What loveable, zany characters! I must purchase this game!" Compare that to the creepy diving suit of Bioshock. While it doesn't ensure a purchase, I suspect it got a lot of people to at least pick up the box and see what it's about.

Then there's just getting the word out about your game, and convincing people to buy it. This can be especially tough in a crowded field - how many average gamers really know the differences between the various WW2 shooters out there? I still can't find anyone to tell me why Killzone 2 is going to be any different than dozens of similar titles that have been released. Gamerace's example ior Prince of Persia is a perfect example of how to do it right. Despite the fact that it's an adventure game set in booby trapped temples, PoPs ancient persia setting and, most importantly, Sands of Time feature immediately distinguish it from Tomb Raider.

This is why established IPs really are so much more valuable than new ones - they're already presold, and consumers have past games as a measuring stick. Really, as awesome as SMG is, just how many people would have grabbed it if it "Puppy Pete's Planetary Adventure"? Does anyone think it a coincidence that Knights of the Old Republic was a platinum seller while Jade Empire (by the same developers) went straight to the bargain bin?

I really think this is a problem with Uncharted. If it was Lara Croft, it's presold. But just looking at the footage and screenshots in ads doesn't convey what makes the game good enough for a purchase. Slap some GOTY labels on the box, and maybe it'll move faster.

4. Dumb luck.

Sometimes a games fails despite doing everything right. Eternal Darkness seems to me the quintessential example. It filled a much needed niche on the GCN, the horror genre was near it's peak, had great reviews, was published by freaking Nintendo (really, when has anything else ever been needed on a Nintendo console?) and the sanity meter and historic scope gave it marketable hooks to distinguished it from Resident Evil, Silent Hill, etc. Thankfully it's miserable sales have not yet killed the prospect of a sequel (which may come if SK ever finished Too Human).

Around the Network

I blame the government

Lack of advertising, the only ads I've seen for the PS3 and it's games outside of gaming sites is those lame TV ads with all the weird analogy's and circus people and "PS3, Play B3YOND" tacked on at the end. Metroid Prime 3 had zero advertising in Australia (and most parts of the world) as did a lot of the 360 games (ME had none, Bioshock had very little, ditto Forza aside from the bundle pack and PGR4) the only big 360 title that received media attention was Halo.

There's a fair bit of advertising on gaming sites, but they are pointless, because games like Uncharted, UT3 and Metroid Prime 3 would have been known to hardcore gamers and they would have bought them already.

Reason why games like MP8 and EA playground (so all the crappy multiplayer mini game compilations) get so much love in the sales is because Nintendo Advertises like crazy on TV.

ferret1603 said:

My question to you, the gaming community is this... who is to blame for "Must-Have" games selling so few? Do we blame ourselves for not going out and buying it? Do we blame the developers for sinking so much money into a game and not knowing what the outcome will be? Do we blame the Publishers for not promoting the game with decent advertisements? Or do we blame the market with games like Hannah Montana and High School Musical selling more units then Uncharted: Drakes Fortune and Zack & Wiki? Or do we blame the system makers (like Nintendo and Sony) for not selling enough system units to support such high software sales numbers?

Either way, when games like Uncharted: Drakes Fortune receives so many amazing reviews, yet sells so little units it makes you wonder what the hell went wrong? Maybe we should just blame Hannah Montana...

That's easy. All of thee above. Maybe system makers should sell new titles along with sports, racing and kiddy games at $40 and established franchises at $60. I just bought NFS PS (a game I was going to wait and could've waited 'til it hit $30 to buy) from amazon because it's on sale for $40. It'll certainly make you give a game a second look. I'm not saying this would make every game sale well but it could help. I'd get two games for $80 but 2 for $120? I'm going to have to think about that. To add: I just wasn't into uncharted and I had no idea what UT was.

weezy said:
Game sales as of December 22nd 2007.

Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure
Average Review Score: 86.1%
US Sales: 130,732 Units
WorldWide Sales: 0.15 Million Units

Uncharted: Drakes Fortune (PS3)
Average Review Score: 90.0%
US Sales: 233,463 Units
WorldWide Sales: 0.55 Million Units

Unreal Tournament III (PS3)
Average Review Score: 82.1%
US Sales: 111,202 Units
WorldWide Sales: 0.11 Million Units

Compared to Low-Rated games

Mario Party 8 (Wii)
Average Review Score: 64.0%
US Sales: 1,799,034 Units
WorldWide Sales: 3.72 Million Units

Kane & Lynch (PS3/360)
Average Review Score: 66.0%
US Sales: 446,841 Units
WorldWide Sales:0.89 Million Units

High School Musical (DS)
Average Review Score: 67.3%
US Sales: 415,876 Units
WorldWide Sales: 0.91 Million Units

^
I look at this and continue to think majority of PPL are stupid fucks. Kane and Lynch sucks

Well it wasnt that bad , but yeah , it didnt deserve that high sales ( oh , and PC version did extremly well in the EU ) .

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

ferret1603 said:

http://gamingconsolenetwork.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=65&Itemid=70

I was looking at the weekly "US" sales charts over at www.VGChartz.com when something completely dawned on me. Where in the hell was Uncharted: Drakes Fortune on the top 50? After all, the game has been acclaimed by many in the gaming community and was also on many lists around the net for Playstation 3 Game of the Year 2007. Uncharted: Drakes Fortune was nowhere to be found.

So seeing that made me think about a question for all of you, one that needs to be asked to the average gamer out there? When a "Must-Have" game comes out for a videogame system and it does not sell well, who is to blame?

Before we talk more about games that are acclaimed yet do not sell good, I have a few game numbers below. I have taken data from www.vgchartz.com (for sales numbers) as well as www.gamerankings.com (for average review scores) and I will let come to your own conclusion with these stats.

Three games come to mind when I think of "Must-Have" games that have been horrible in sales. These three games are Uncharted: Drakes Fortune (PS3), Unreal Tournament III (PS3) and Zack & Wiki (Nintendo Wii). All three games have a average rating score of about 80%-90%. I also added a few games that have a below average score (in the 60% range) that have sold pretty good. Again, you be the judge...

Game sales as of December 22nd 2007.

Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure
Average Review Score: 86.1%
US Sales: 130,732 Units
WorldWide Sales: 0.15 Million Units

Uncharted: Drakes Fortune (PS3)
Average Review Score: 90.0%
US Sales: 233,463 Units
WorldWide Sales: 0.55 Million Units

Unreal Tournament III (PS3)
Average Review Score: 82.1%
US Sales: 111,202 Units
WorldWide Sales: 0.11 Million Units

Compared to Low-Rated games

Mario Party 8 (Wii)
Average Review Score: 64.0%
US Sales:  1,799,034 Units
WorldWide Sales: 3.72 Million Units

Kane & Lynch (PS3/360)
Average Review Score: 66.0%
US Sales: 446,841 Units
WorldWide Sales:0.89 Million Units

High School Musical (DS)
Average Review Score: 67.3%
US Sales: 415,876 Units
WorldWide Sales: 0.91 Million Units

It is a rare thing, but each year good games come out on a videogame system and it sells surprisingly poor. I can remember Resident Evil 4 not selling too well because it was on the Nintendo GameCube. We also live in a age where games are highly promoted to be the "Next Best Thing" and they fall short in every category (UbiSoft's Assassin's Creed comes to mind).

We also live in a age where some people try to put a spin on sales numbers. Look at Super Mario Galaxy for the Nintendo Wii. The game has sold over 2 millions units in the US alone in a matter of only a few months since it's release and some people out there in the media are claiming that the game was a failure. How can those massive sales numbers be coined "failure"?

My question to you, the gaming community is this... who is to blame for "Must-Have" games selling so few? Do we blame ourselves for not going out and buying it? Do we blame the developers for sinking so much money into a game and not knowing what the outcome will be? Do we blame the Publishers for not promoting the game with decent advertisements? Or do we blame the market with games like Hannah Montana and High School Musical selling more units then Uncharted: Drakes Fortune and Zack & Wiki? Or do we blame the system makers (like Nintendo and Sony) for not selling enough system units to support such high software sales numbers?

Either way, when games like Uncharted: Drakes Fortune receives so many amazing reviews, yet sells so little units it makes you wonder what the hell went wrong? Maybe we should just blame Hannah Montana...

I would say that the company which released the console , and the games developers are equally responsible.

First, the developers shouldnt have created a crappy game

Second, Sony/MS and yes Nintendo shouldnt have allowed the game to see the light of day before it was ready.

Good developers without lots of time make a good game that isn't terribly long.

Bad developers without lots of time make a long game that is terribly bad.

There's always exceptions to the rule, but thats the way it goes.

Also in regards to the sales data, I think it's safe to say that good games that were unknown alot of times have "legs" and sell more as more people hear how good it is. Bad games that are hyped to no end sell alot in the beginning and slow down considerably as people find out it sucked.

Games like Mario Party 8 may be reveiwed low, but there are people who like those party games and buy those party games. Mario Party 8 isn't going to suprise alot of people about what it is.