By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii Has The Best Exclusives

AbbathTheGrim said:
Play4Fun said:
AbbathTheGrim said:
RolStoppable said:
Sure, you could claim that the 360 and PS3 have better exclusives, but you would be wrong. Other than pure subjectivity you would have nothing to back it up.

Nintendo only knows how to look for a different way that Mario can jump over another turtle to defeat it. Nintendo cannot enter with games targetted to different markets that exclude little kids, they don't dare to do it, they know they can't succeed, as it happened with Eternal Darkness.

While 360s and Sony's exclusive make serious attempts to push videogames as ways of art, Nintendo has nothing. They can't make a decent story with their frachises, they can't make their characters say meaningful things that won't sound lame. And if you are of the ones that think that videos get in the way of gameplay, take for example masterpieces like Bioshock and Fallout which have the most intelligent merge of gameplay and story without any of them getting in the way of the other.

There are games in Xbox360 that I would like to have in my PS3, but there is nothing in the Nintendo console that I would be interested in. My mother found a DSi with Mario in it and, apart from playing some parts that she cannot get across, I don't touch that thing for anything.

I didn't want to get involved in this thread, but...

- " Nintendo only knows how to look for a different way that Mario can jump over another turtle to defeat it."

Sony and MS only know how to look for a different way to  shoot another guy to kill him. See what I did there?

- "Nintendo cannot enter with games targetted to different markets that exclude little kids, they don't dare to do it, they know they can't succeed, as it happened with Eternal Darkness."

Games like Metroid, Zelda and SMG 1 & 2 are made just for kids, people. You heard it here first. Adults only play games that are 'art' and have stories with cutscenes. They don't play 'kiddy' Nintendo games.

- "While 360s and Sony's exclusive make serious attempts to push videogames as ways of art, Nintendo has nothing. They can't make a decent story with their frachises, they can't make their characters say meaningful things that won't sound lame."

I laughed at this point. Sony and MS are trying to push games as art. Right...that's their goal.

Good stories  are so rare in video-games that it's downright amusing you would make this point.

" And if you are of the ones that think that videos get in the way of gameplay, take for example masterpieces like Bioshock and Fallout which have the most intelligent merge of gameplay and story without any of them getting in the way of the other."

That's great and all, but it has been shown that the majority of gamers out there prefer games that lets them be in complete control of their character. They don't want cut-scenes after cut-scenes and Quick time events and all that shit. They want to play their way, not the way the devs want them to play. They want to be able to "make their own story" and not be forced to follow a shitty story-line they don't really care about.

There's a market out there that loves a long story with their gameplay and those games should keep being made but that market is significantly smaller than the larger market. 

Not sure why you keep talking about art this and art that. You are playing video-games first and foremost. Not sure what you are trying to convince yourself of. A game like SMG 2 is full of creativity and can be argued to be art even though it doesn't try to be. Art for you must just mean blood and cursing and guns since you say Nintendo games are not art. You are probably one of those people that feels your maturity is threatened when someone tells you that games are toys.

Stories in games are still in their primitive stages and have a LONG way to go. Come and talk to me when the majority of games trying to push stories don't have a shitty and cliched story.

1) Flower lets you control a petal who ventures a fields in a quest to restore beauty to nature while every action you take emitts sounds that enriches the music you hear in the background which comes to be a rich soundtrack of diverse tones that evoke feelings of melancholy, warmness and sadness.

Ico forces you to protect a little girl and take her through various obstacles. Her death means the end of your game, the bond you create with her throughout the game is meaningful and the game is a great excersie for the mind.

In Heavy Rain, a game that made me realize that in order to achieve that impact of a user in a videogame you don't need to make an RPG, lets you control various characters and your actions have an immidiate or long term consequence in what happens. There is a lot of improvement that could be done with this concept, letting you affect the storyline in a deeper way but this game is the tip of the iceberg and the possibilities are endless.

Now, tell me how Nintendo brings this diversity?

2) I said that Nintendo does not dare to make a product that earns a rating which will exclude little kids. I am not surprised to know that adults play those games and even I could enjoy them as I enjoy games like LittleBigPlanet, good old 2D Mario, Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, etc. and I played several times games from the NES and SNES, but videogames are becoming something that goes beyond entertainment and Nintendo is not on that boat. There are times where things need to touch themes of sexuality, violence, suffering and you cannot be restrained by a Teen or Everyone rating. But oh well, what cares Nintendo about stories in the first place.

3) A painter sells his paintings, a musician performs in concerts and asks money for entrance. This does not jeopardize the artistic value of what they do. If you cannot realize the depth surrounding characters like Snake or James Sullivan and the emotions that provoke a simple yet heartbreaking game like Shadow of the Colossus, then you either haven't played them or you don't attach to games of this kind. I know people who have no interest in music, paintings or well-written movies so I won't be surprised.

4) "It has been shown that the majority of gamers out there prefer games that lets them be in complete control of their character"... where? Are you one of those people that releases data out of common sense and tries to pass what they conclude as facts. Tell me which stadistics you took in account? Tell me which survey was conducted that showed such results? Tell me what organization made the survey? Tell me the number of the population that the survey made an impact to and what was the demographic? You cannot provide this? Then don't make such generalizations.

You just showed that you have no idea of what you are talking about when you are talking about Bioshock and Fallout. I won't say it myself, ask anyone who has really played Bioshock and Fallout and ask them how many cut-scenes and quicktime events those games have between the intro and the ending. Make some research before writting please. I mentioned those games because the story is not presented through cut-scenes.

You think you have control over your character with games like Metroid, Mario and Donkey Kong? Can you choose to side with Koopa? Can you forgo the neverending quest of saving the Princess? Can you opt not to do the quest to save the princess and get immersed in what is happening in another kingdom? Can you let the Princess die and continue the game? Can you talk Koopa and make him surrender? What is the freedom you are talking about?

You say that the market of people who want videogames with stories is smaller than the one who just wants to play? Tell me which stadistics you took in account? Tell me which survey was conducted that showed such results? Tell me what organization made the survey? Tell me the number of the population that the survey made an impact to and what was the demographic? You cannot provide this? Then don't make such conclusions.

And what if the market is smaller? Transformers earned 709 millions while Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind only got 72. What is your point?

Games are becoming art. And some games are providing true unique artistic experience through them which you cannot have while watching a movie, watching a painting, seeing a sculpture, listening to music, or reading a book. If you are not interested in videogames as art, perfect, that is your bussiness and I enjoy such games as well, but don't try to undermind what games like Silent Hill, Fallout, Flower, Mass Effect, Heavy Rain, Shadow of the Colossus, and others are doing, or you will fail miserably.

Stories in videogames can be as good as any other work of fiction in another form of art. Go and play great games with great stories and if you can play them without your agenda in mind you will see it, unless you think that Ice Age is miles better than 2001: A Space Odyssey, in which case, there is not much that can be done for you 

If you can reply to my post, reply to everything and don't argue back only against some points here and there that you came up with something against.

I've been on the internet long enough to know when something is a waste of my time.

Around the Network
Play4Fun said:
AbbathTheGrim said:
Play4Fun said:
AbbathTheGrim said:
RolStoppable said:
Sure, you could claim that the 360 and PS3 have better exclusives, but you would be wrong. Other than pure subjectivity you would have nothing to back it up.

Nintendo only knows how to look for a different way that Mario can jump over another turtle to defeat it. Nintendo cannot enter with games targetted to different markets that exclude little kids, they don't dare to do it, they know they can't succeed, as it happened with Eternal Darkness.

While 360s and Sony's exclusive make serious attempts to push videogames as ways of art, Nintendo has nothing. They can't make a decent story with their frachises, they can't make their characters say meaningful things that won't sound lame. And if you are of the ones that think that videos get in the way of gameplay, take for example masterpieces like Bioshock and Fallout which have the most intelligent merge of gameplay and story without any of them getting in the way of the other.

There are games in Xbox360 that I would like to have in my PS3, but there is nothing in the Nintendo console that I would be interested in. My mother found a DSi with Mario in it and, apart from playing some parts that she cannot get across, I don't touch that thing for anything.

I didn't want to get involved in this thread, but...

- " Nintendo only knows how to look for a different way that Mario can jump over another turtle to defeat it."

Sony and MS only know how to look for a different way to  shoot another guy to kill him. See what I did there?

- "Nintendo cannot enter with games targetted to different markets that exclude little kids, they don't dare to do it, they know they can't succeed, as it happened with Eternal Darkness."

Games like Metroid, Zelda and SMG 1 & 2 are made just for kids, people. You heard it here first. Adults only play games that are 'art' and have stories with cutscenes. They don't play 'kiddy' Nintendo games.

- "While 360s and Sony's exclusive make serious attempts to push videogames as ways of art, Nintendo has nothing. They can't make a decent story with their frachises, they can't make their characters say meaningful things that won't sound lame."

I laughed at this point. Sony and MS are trying to push games as art. Right...that's their goal.

Good stories  are so rare in video-games that it's downright amusing you would make this point.

" And if you are of the ones that think that videos get in the way of gameplay, take for example masterpieces like Bioshock and Fallout which have the most intelligent merge of gameplay and story without any of them getting in the way of the other."

That's great and all, but it has been shown that the majority of gamers out there prefer games that lets them be in complete control of their character. They don't want cut-scenes after cut-scenes and Quick time events and all that shit. They want to play their way, not the way the devs want them to play. They want to be able to "make their own story" and not be forced to follow a shitty story-line they don't really care about.

There's a market out there that loves a long story with their gameplay and those games should keep being made but that market is significantly smaller than the larger market. 

Not sure why you keep talking about art this and art that. You are playing video-games first and foremost. Not sure what you are trying to convince yourself of. A game like SMG 2 is full of creativity and can be argued to be art even though it doesn't try to be. Art for you must just mean blood and cursing and guns since you say Nintendo games are not art. You are probably one of those people that feels your maturity is threatened when someone tells you that games are toys.

Stories in games are still in their primitive stages and have a LONG way to go. Come and talk to me when the majority of games trying to push stories don't have a shitty and cliched story.

1) Flower lets you control a petal who ventures a fields in a quest to restore beauty to nature while every action you take emitts sounds that enriches the music you hear in the background which comes to be a rich soundtrack of diverse tones that evoke feelings of melancholy, warmness and sadness.

Ico forces you to protect a little girl and take her through various obstacles. Her death means the end of your game, the bond you create with her throughout the game is meaningful and the game is a great excersie for the mind.

In Heavy Rain, a game that made me realize that in order to achieve that impact of a user in a videogame you don't need to make an RPG, lets you control various characters and your actions have an immidiate or long term consequence in what happens. There is a lot of improvement that could be done with this concept, letting you affect the storyline in a deeper way but this game is the tip of the iceberg and the possibilities are endless.

Now, tell me how Nintendo brings this diversity?

2) I said that Nintendo does not dare to make a product that earns a rating which will exclude little kids. I am not surprised to know that adults play those games and even I could enjoy them as I enjoy games like LittleBigPlanet, good old 2D Mario, Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, etc. and I played several times games from the NES and SNES, but videogames are becoming something that goes beyond entertainment and Nintendo is not on that boat. There are times where things need to touch themes of sexuality, violence, suffering and you cannot be restrained by a Teen or Everyone rating. But oh well, what cares Nintendo about stories in the first place.

3) A painter sells his paintings, a musician performs in concerts and asks money for entrance. This does not jeopardize the artistic value of what they do. If you cannot realize the depth surrounding characters like Snake or James Sullivan and the emotions that provoke a simple yet heartbreaking game like Shadow of the Colossus, then you either haven't played them or you don't attach to games of this kind. I know people who have no interest in music, paintings or well-written movies so I won't be surprised.

4) "It has been shown that the majority of gamers out there prefer games that lets them be in complete control of their character"... where? Are you one of those people that releases data out of common sense and tries to pass what they conclude as facts. Tell me which stadistics you took in account? Tell me which survey was conducted that showed such results? Tell me what organization made the survey? Tell me the number of the population that the survey made an impact to and what was the demographic? You cannot provide this? Then don't make such generalizations.

You just showed that you have no idea of what you are talking about when you are talking about Bioshock and Fallout. I won't say it myself, ask anyone who has really played Bioshock and Fallout and ask them how many cut-scenes and quicktime events those games have between the intro and the ending. Make some research before writting please. I mentioned those games because the story is not presented through cut-scenes.

You think you have control over your character with games like Metroid, Mario and Donkey Kong? Can you choose to side with Koopa? Can you forgo the neverending quest of saving the Princess? Can you opt not to do the quest to save the princess and get immersed in what is happening in another kingdom? Can you let the Princess die and continue the game? Can you talk Koopa and make him surrender? What is the freedom you are talking about?

You say that the market of people who want videogames with stories is smaller than the one who just wants to play? Tell me which stadistics you took in account? Tell me which survey was conducted that showed such results? Tell me what organization made the survey? Tell me the number of the population that the survey made an impact to and what was the demographic? You cannot provide this? Then don't make such conclusions.

And what if the market is smaller? Transformers earned 709 millions while Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind only got 72. What is your point?

Games are becoming art. And some games are providing true unique artistic experience through them which you cannot have while watching a movie, watching a painting, seeing a sculpture, listening to music, or reading a book. If you are not interested in videogames as art, perfect, that is your bussiness and I enjoy such games as well, but don't try to undermind what games like Silent Hill, Fallout, Flower, Mass Effect, Heavy Rain, Shadow of the Colossus, and others are doing, or you will fail miserably.

Stories in videogames can be as good as any other work of fiction in another form of art. Go and play great games with great stories and if you can play them without your agenda in mind you will see it, unless you think that Ice Age is miles better than 2001: A Space Odyssey, in which case, there is not much that can be done for you 

If you can reply to my post, reply to everything and don't argue back only against some points here and there that you came up with something against.

I've been on the internet long enough to know when something is a waste of my time.

Of course, don't allow yourself to make people waste your time. We have very clear how well you know of what you are talking about.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

RolStoppable said:
o_O.Q said:

um if a similar list was made for ps or xbox exclusives i would make the same claim ( that a list of exclusives could be made for competing companies also )  but apparently if i don't agree with some people and say that nintendo is the best thing ever in any situation i'm biased lmfao

"You've been long around here to establish a clear PlayStation bias" wow i didn't know you were keeping tabs on me what have i said that indicates bias? 

You've gone out of your way to post an article from a noname website. If you weren't biased, then you wouldn't have gotten worked up enough over this opinion piece to share it on here.

In the majority of cases it's really not much of a science to assign a bias towards a particular company/gaming system. The gamrConnect forums aren't especially crowded, so if you post between five to ten times (or more) a day over a period of a couple of weeks you are bound to get noticed.

huh? worked up? went out of my way? so anyone who creates a thread on a topic goes out of their way? lmfao i came across the article and decided it might make for an interesting discussion i had no idea that some people were so sensitive that they would take my opinion on it and start lashing out at it... but regardless i'm quite sorry that my opinion on the article has upset you so much, next time i make a thread be sure to drop by and give me your ideas on how i may improve so i can get my threads up to the standards you expect

"if you post between five to ten times (or more) a day over a period of a couple of weeks" lol from your reaction i'm thinking that someone could simply say that nintendo games aren't the best games ever created and you'd take that as bias against nintendo 

oniyide said:
Snesboy said:
Boutros said:
That's a rather very uneducated article. I'll leave it at that.

Btw No More Heroes is on the PS360.

Nope. Not in North America.

the game is being released on PS3 next month with Move functions, no longer exclusive

Resident Evil 4 is a GameCube exclusive.

Snesboy said:
oniyide said:
Snesboy said:
Boutros said:

the game is being released on PS3 next month with Move functions, no longer exclusive

well that made no sense, just admit u were wrong n keep it moving

Around the Network
oniyide said:
Snesboy said:
oniyide said:
Snesboy said:
Boutros said:

Don't care. I'm not wrong. And people aren't going to buy No More Heroes on PS3 anyway.

Snesboy said:
oniyide said:
Snesboy said:
oniyide said:
Snesboy said:
Boutros said:

Don't care. I'm not wrong. And people aren't going to buy No More Heroes on PS3 anyway.

how r u not wrong??? the game will be avaible in the US making it no longer a Wii exclusive. n i for one wiil get it as i didnt buy it 4 Wii

RolStoppable said:

Well, at least they got the best movies.

Above: still the best game of the year.

Metallicube said:

It's hard to argue the Wii doesn't have the greatest exclusives, even if you're the biggest PS360, anti Wii guy there is. NSMB, DKC, Monster Hunter Tri, Mario Galaxy 2, Little King's Story, Metroid Prime trilogy, Goldeneye, Epic Mickey, Warioware, Zack and Wiki, Wii Sports. Sony, MS, and the vast majority of third parties simply don't touch Nintendo's quality. Well maybe unless you value heavy cinematics and asthetics in your games, which I don't.

Note, that doesn't mean Wii has the best library. That title belongs to the 360.

Sadly, out of that entire list the only thing worth anything to me except maybe MH, but I enjoyed the PSP version heavily and I much prefer God Eater Burst (red headed stepchild) over MH. Plenty of third parties in many people's eyes touch and surpass Nintendo's quality. You obviously have Activision with their yearly COD's, EA with the yearly FIFA and Madden, Bioware, Bethesda, Insomniac, Epic Games, Valve (Half -Life eats anything put out by Nintendo in my eyes....actually even most of Sony and MS's games too), Runic Games (now owned by perfect world), among many others which all have games that sell plenty. Even downloadable little games by Housemarque ooze of quality thanks to Dead Nation and Super Stardust HD.

Make games, not war (that goes for ridiculous fanboys)

I may be the next Maelstorm or not, you be the judge http://videogamesgrow.blogspot.com/  hopefully I can be more of an asset than a fanboy to VGC hehe.

Beuli2 said:
RolStoppable said:

Well, at least they got the best movies.

Last I checked Demon's Souls wasn't cinematic heavy at all and it is one of the best games out there. Then of course we can go to DA: Origins, ME series, RDR, Gears of War, Halo, Resistance, Alan Wake, Outland, etc among many MANY games that rely on little to no cinematics at all. Now if you were going to mention MGS4, then I admit it was VERY CGI heavy, but a vast majority of the great games are gaming centric so I don't know where such a stupid comment comes from. Then again given your history and Rol's you are both a match made in heaven.

Make games, not war (that goes for ridiculous fanboys)

I may be the next Maelstorm or not, you be the judge http://videogamesgrow.blogspot.com/  hopefully I can be more of an asset than a fanboy to VGC hehe.