By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Fire Emblem thread! SHOW YOUR SUPPORT!

Which is your favourite Fire Emblem game?

Fire Emblem 1 (Shadow Dragon) 15 11.19%

Fire Emblem Gaiden 0 0%

Fire Emblem (Mystery of the Emblem) 2 1.49%

Fire Emblem (Genealogy of Holy War) 3 2.24%

Fire Emblem (Thracia 776) 0 0%

Fire Emblem (Sword of Seals) 3 2.24%

Fire Emblem (Reignev No Ken) 16 11.94%

Fire Emblem (Sacred Stones) 25 18.66%

Fire Emblem (Path Of Radiance) 17 12.69%

Fire Emblem (Radiant Dawn) 50 37.31%

Total:131

Fire Emblem has always been a great series for me, highly under-rated IMO, and I'm sure a lot of you people out there agree with that. IT has that perfect blend of strategy, difficulty, story and levelling up for me, and it's just so addictive. Even by only playing 4 games, I can tell that it will be a sad day when FE is cancelled, or worse, forgotten.

So, show your support for one of Nintendo's best franchises! What's your favourite game? Any particular reason? Any interesting stories you'd like to share with the community? OR even just talk about Fire Emblem, and be cool. Do it here!

Personally, my favourite is Radiant Dawn, with Sacred Stones a close second. Ive played Radiant Dawn for over 500 hours, after all! I just think the characters are the best, the most interesting. My favourite characters in that game will always be Nephenee, Haar and Mia (in no order). Send them off in Parts 3 and 4 as a team and dominate the battlefield! Backing up with Soren is nice as well...

However, I have, just like I bet a lot of you guys here, have been re-playing Sacred Stones, due to its release on the 3DS for ambassadors, and I must say, I've fallen in love with it all over again. However, the MagDall ruins at the end of the game are EXCRUCIATINGLY difficult. Even my best team of all Level 20's could not get past the 6th floor, without major casualties. There's always something that you'll miss, and that's harsh. 

Is it my new favourite Fire Emblem game? It's close, that's for certain. But I'll have to wait and decide after I've finished Radiant Dawn, which I have decided to re-play (about half way ATM). However, there's certainly no denying that this is a gaming series with real staying power, and I can't wait to see how it evolves further.

And that leads me nicely on to the new 3DS Fire Emblem game, Fire Emblem: Awakening. It seems to me like a lot of the features of what made both Radiant Dawn (3 tiers, skills) AND Sacred Stones (overwould map, arenas) so great are returning, with a handful of new features as well (character-specific skills, 2 vs. 1 battles, DLC, a first for Nintendo). With a release date in Japan but a few months away (19 April), could there be a chance we'll see it hit these shores by the year's end? It's doubtful, but we live in hope...

Anyway, I still believe Fire Emblem is a gaming series which requires more love, but what about you? Which is your favourite Fire Emblem game? Do you have any tales, frustrations, queries, or anything else for that matter, about the series? Comment below and I'll try my best to answer them, and hopefully, together, we can show our support for Fire Emblem.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network

No support for FE makes me sad

Surely SOMEONE out there loves FE as much as I!

I am a Slave for FE... I consider it the only "True" SRPG... though Sacred Stones Tarnished that a tad bit

Radiant Dawn is definitely My favorite btw.. I Loooooooooooved RD Still in my Top 5 Wii games.

Slow weekend, probably. 4th for Americans, our Japanese members should be asleep right now. No excuse for the Euros, though. Rol would at least comment here

That said, i like Radiant Dawn too, of course. It fixes a few of the trickier problems of PoR, and balances out many of the imbalances of its predecessor. Of course, i skipped the GBA games, so the only other i got my hands on was Shadow Dragon (and i would love to see NoA do Mystery of The Emblem, but i guess it was too late in the DS' life to merit localization while the 3DS came along), and Shadow Dragon felt yet more archaic in many ways, though it was fun at its core.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

Advanced Wars and Fire Emblem were the main reasons I kept my GB Advance, not Pokemon.

"I don't know what this Yamcha is, but it sounds just like Raditz."

I can't believe after all of my love for the handheld versions, I chose Radiant Dawn. I agree with Cone on this one; the characters were good, lots of levels (which I love in FEs).

Things I didn't like about it:
- Not on a handheld console!
- Nothing to do afterwards other than 'let's do it again but harder'
- No online :(
- Too easy to level up and gain class upgrades, no item use, ie no need for Knight Crest etc.
- Wasn't very fast paced.

So why shouldn't I prefer Shadow Dragon? It has multiplayer, handheld, nice graphics?
- Actually, the graphics suck.
- Too short.
- Class swap is stupid.

I just think Ike is a better protagonist. A friend of mine said that lords frolicking around and fighting wars single handedly makes pre PoR FEs worse in his eyes, and I agree with this, but I still love them. Like I hate Cloud from FFVII but still like the game itself.

I've only played Rekka no Ken.

I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with the game. I have this stupid "no soldier left behind" instinct, so I have to make sure everyone is leveled to the point where they can defend themselves, leaving me with a well-balanced but relatively weak team. It's not like, say, Advance Wars, where every unit is a faceless ship. (at least from what I've played) No, every unit has a face, a name, and a specific function. I simply cannot let anyone die and then continue on without them.

It's stupid, I know.

Another thing is that it's pretty legitimately difficult, and chance can fuck you over pretty bad. And since you're trying to keep everyone alive... Well, yeah. Between that one guy in the fog you didn't see, the critical hit that OHKO's one of your units, or those effing archers against which your Pegasus Knight is completely helpless... I would absolutely detest the game if it weren't so damn fun. Thank you, Nintendo, for creating a torture machine which the victim openly elects to submit themselves to.

Honestly? I find myself in unmitigated preference for FE7. I cannot give preference or creedence to anything previous to 7 but I found Sacred Stones a walkover and thus that fails to actually entertain me as a videogame. Even ignoring that, other Fire Emblems display stories I find superior.
Now, as to FE9 and FE10, yes - they were good but I still found them easier than Rekka no Ken. The challenge and difficulty in trying a different tactic or entering the game on a harder difficulty is a rather mitigating factor.
As to story, meh - Path of Radiance did not hit me as particularly special for the FE games. A cool story, graphics are shinier but the other games have cool stories and graphics can go hang themselves. If the game doesn't lack textures and/or the style suits the gameplay, I'm not concerned with how many pixels it employs.
I could cite FE10 as a good, if not amazing game but something that makes for a huge sticking point, one I just cannot take out of account - Battle Saves. They provide a safety net that whilst it's my choice to use, left the game feeling somewhat unsatisfying for having them there at all. It took out a lot of my investment in playing through a chapter or following a tactic. By knowing I could, half way through - just cut out the first half of a level, I lacked as strong an investment.thought in what I was doing and thus lacked an investment in my units that I had in other Fire Emblems.

The true test of any scholar's work is not what his contemporaries say, but what happens to his work in the next 25 or 50 years. - Milton Friedman.

Dr_Jameo said:
I can't believe after all of my love for the handheld versions, I chose Radiant Dawn. I agree with Cone on this one; the characters were good, lots of levels (which I love in FEs).

Things I didn't like about it:
- Not on a handheld console!
- Nothing to do afterwards other than 'let's do it again but harder'
- No online :(
- Too easy to level up and gain class upgrades, no item use, ie no need for Knight Crest etc.
- Wasn't very fast paced.

So why shouldn't I prefer Shadow Dragon? It has multiplayer, handheld, nice graphics?
- Actually, the graphics suck.
- Too short.
- Class swap is stupid.

I just think Ike is a better protagonist. A friend of mine said that lords frolicking around and fighting wars single handedly makes pre PoR FEs worse in his eyes, and I agree with this, but I still love them. Like I hate Cloud from FFVII but still like the game itself.

Wow. I did not expect that...

Also, I agree with the whole 'nothing to do' thing. It would have been nice to have extra stuff afterwards, but meh. There's always next time, right? 

@Mr Khan- I thought Rol would have posted, after his whle RD video...