By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Was 1998 the best year to be a gamer? What is your best year of gaming ?

a nice article from http://holdselect.com/2011/06/26/was-1998-the-best-year-to-be-a-gamer/

Was 1998 the best year to be a gamer?

There are certain years that gamers’ wish for; when great games are constantly released and you can’t believe your luck.  This happened back in 2007 where the last half of the year saw the release of The Orange Box, Mass Effect and Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.

Yet go back more than 13 years, and it’s arguable that 1998 is one of the strongest years we’ve ever had, with many games influencing the industry as we know it today.

Here are five games that made 1998 the most memorable year to be a gamer:

————————————————————————————————————————————–

Metal Gear Solid

For many gamers, Metal Gear Solid was their first introduction to the Metal Gear series. It was one of the key games that brought the stealth genre to the mainstream while proving that games could have compelling stories.  With its gritty 3D graphics, dramatic voice acting and great music, Metal Gear Solid proved to be a huge success selling over 6 million copies worldwide and spawning several sequels and spin offs.

Metal Gear Solid sees the return of Solid Snake, a veteran of Fox Hound. He’s sent to Shadow Moses to find the DARPA Chief and ArmsTech president. What unfolds is the return of Metal Gear, a bi-pedal nuclear tank capable of destroying the world.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

When it comes to the best games ever made, Ocarina of Time usually tops the chart. The Zelda series was already successful with previous hits such as The Link to the Past, but the Ocarina of Time captured a new generation with its plot and 3D graphics. Most remember it for that sense of openness that no game until then had, and its compelling story and dungeons. Its legacy lives on with over 7 million copies sold worldwide and a 3DS remake for the 3DS released this year.

Ocarina of Time saw Link take to Hyrule to save the princess and defeat Gannon. Link was able to change time by taking the Master Sword out of the Temple of Time. As the title suggests, the Ocarina plays a large role in the game.

Half Life

Half Life saw Gordon Freeman escaping from Black Mesa after an experiment goes wrong. It featured detailed 3D graphics and animations, and it defined a new style of story-telling with story elements being implemented into gameplay. Half life was Valve’s first game, and was a huge success selling over 9 million copies worldwide.

Half Life’s real success is its community involvement that saw the release of the popular mods such as Counter-Strike, Team Fortress Classic and Day of Defeat. Valve made a name for itself by inviting these mod makers to work for them, which eventually spawn sequels for all 3 titles.

Resident Evil 2

You say zombies, and Resident Evil will always come to mind. After the success of the original, Capcom started developing a sequel immediately. It defined the Survival Horror genre with its use of horror and cinematic moments, selling over 5 million copies with various ports and reimaginings.

Resident Evil 2 saw rookie cop Leon S. Kennedy and Claire Redfield escaping from a city infested with zombies. The game featured a selection of zombies and mutated monsters, as well as the “Zap System” which allowed players to play the game from another character’s perspective.

Pokemon

Pokemon craze caused almost every kid to want to gotta catch em all. Released on the Game-Boy, the game allowed the player to try and become a Pokemon master and collect all 151 pokemon.  Two versions were released, Red and Blue, and players would need to work together to get the Pokemon not available in their versions.

Selling over 10 million copies, Pokemon became a huge cash-cow with a card-game and TV series being spawned. There have been several sequels, or generations (consisting of two versions), to the Pokemon franchise since, and it remains to be a very strong product for Nintendo.

————————————————————————————————————————————–

All games pushed the gaming industry forward in big ways. In one way, the common theme throughout all games was immersion by bringing the player into the game with compelling plots. Half Life’s use of story telling is still used today with games like Portal and Bioshock, while the traditional use of cutscenes is seen virtually everywhere.

Despite their age, the games still play well and their sequels still continue to innovate the genre.  Even if don’t think 1998 was the best year to be a gamer, 1998 was still an influential year.

What is your best year of gaming ?

Around the Network

Xenogears was released in 1998 also. So yes, it was the best year.

It was pretty awesome.

Also: Xenogears.

(Personally, I went to Japan and spent a ridiculous amount of money in used game shops. MGS was going for about half price, only two weeks after release).

It was damn good, ecspecially with starcraft

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

Don't forget Grim Fandango, Tekken 3, Unreal, Fallout 2, Panzar Dragoon Saga and FInal Fantasy Tactics

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network

I always felt like 2001 was gamings best year but it's hard to argue with that lineup. 2001 brought Ico, Tony Hawk 3, Halo, SSX 2, MGS2, Devil May Cry, Zone of the Enders, Rogue Leader, the Gamecube, and the Xbox.

But with '98 bringing Zelda (I sold my N64 in mid '97 and didn't buy another until X-Mas '99) and MGS, I may change my belief. I still remember seeing the back to back Platinum Awards in EGM. No game had ever gotten a perfect score until MGS. The very next month, it happened again!

hell to the no. 2011 is going to easily be the best year.

From 1998:-

- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
- Tekken 3
- Metal Gear Solid
- Gran Turismo
- Half-Life
- StarCraft
- Resident Evil 2
- Xenogears
- Pokemon Red/Blue
- Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus
- Grim Fandango
- Panzer Dragoon Saga
- Thief: The Dark Project
- Banjo-Kazooie
- Baldur's Gate
- Fallout 2
- Spyro the Dragon

I can't fault you there, 1998 was great. The intro and start of half-life with surround sound was immersion as I had never experienced before. MGS, Zelda oot, Grim Fandango, Unreal lan multiplayer and Baldur's gate were phenomenal.
I can't believe that was all in one year!

My other favourites from '98 were

Descent 2, it's from '96 but I replayed it in '98 with a 3D graphics card and 3D shutter glasses.
Heart of Darkness, more of these please!
Heretic 2, one of the first games I played with 3D shutter glasses.
Forsaken, first game I played with a 3D graphics card on 800x600 and it ran fluently.
The journeyman project 3: legacy of time
Kings quest Mask of eternity
Might and magic VI mandate of heaven, awesome series at the time
Need for speed 3 hot pursuit, still the best of the entire series! "Eine gelbe diablo in die S-kurve mit zwei hunderd km pro stunde"
Populous the beginning, just wow.
Starship Titanic, one of the last adventures you can talk to featuring the spookitalk engine.
Tex Murphy: Overseer, it wasn't that good actually but the first game I played on my brand new $400 dvd drive along with watching imported dvd movies since they weren't available in stores yet.

In that year I experienced proper surround sound, dvd, 3d graphics cards and 3D shutter glasses all for the first time. Hard to top that year!

I liked 1994 myself

Donkey Kong Country
Super Metroid
Sonic 3
Sonic and Knuckles
Mortal Kombat 2
Super Street Fighter 2
Final Fantasy III
Earth Worm Jim
Warcraft

All those rocked my socks off that very year.