By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo stock continues alarming collapse... 5 year low. Reggie comments.

kowenicki said:
MrT-Tar said:
Just out of interest, does Nintendo stock historically fall whenever they announce a new platform, or at least a new home console?

This chart tells me I should have invested my life savings in 2003.

Need something off Play-Asia? http://www.play-asia.com/

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
Carl2291 said:
Right. Because I don't know much about Stocks an the market and whatever...

Can someone explain the significance of this to me, please?

Is it just people losing faith in Nintendo, or does it affect the company in a large way?

Investors =/= people, and are very flighty, and react to a whole host of factors outside of company performance. It *can* reflect a lack of faith in their sales potential, but not necessarily

Basically this. When you buy a stock you want the stock to increase in value over time. But when you buy the stock it has to increase more relative to keeping money in the bank or bonds or any other stock. If the stock doesn't have a lot of potential to increase in vaue it's worth less.

That doesn't mean that Nintendo is doomed, or the WiiU won't sell. Actually the WiiU could sell a huge number and the stock could still decrease. The problem is that it needs to exceed Wii sales and people don't see that happening.

I see it this way. If stock falls now it has more room to rise again later.

Need something off Play-Asia? http://www.play-asia.com/

irstupid said:
why would stocks FALL when zelda is just released.

i would imagine many woudl be buying for its most likely quick bump and then sell again.

thats what i would have done.

Zelda bump?

Above: still the best game of the year.

With all the hype surrounding the wii and the great success it found with the casual crowd, Nintendo's stock got greatly overvalued. The share price couldn't possibly be maintained unless Nintendo managed to keep a firm hold on the casual crowd; they have proven that the casuals are too fickle and the entertainment market to unstable for that. Right now the the share price is being revalued. It will continue to be erratic until investors get a better idea of what Nintendo is attempting to accomplish; When that happens, a more reasonable and stable price will be set. One that accounts for the fact that Nintendo is no longer the sole patron of the casual crowd and that they now cater to a portion of the hardcore crowd.

I personally would not put any money into Nintendo stock right now until I have a better idea of the viability of their vision. I will monitor the situation closely and try to establish what I believe to be a reasonable price point based on information as it becomes available; that information is still much too vague. Buying Nintendo's stock at this time will be more a matter of faith than the technical and fundamentals.

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
Ail said:
HappySqurriel said:
As a general rule, most investors make very bad decisions ... It isn't that unusual to watch investors sell their stock which has already been over-sold to buy into a stock that is over-bought; and I think this has been impacting Nintendo's stock for quite some time.

When Nintendo surprised people and had a break out success with both the Wii and DS people rushed to buy Nintendo and the stock price was soon worth far more than was justified; and now that Nintendo's share price has fallen, people are selling driving the price far below what is justified.

The current P/E is around 24 I would hardly think that it qualifies as being under priced....

Especially as the average P/E for S&P 500 members for example is 14...( I know Nintendo isn't a S&P member).

The growth prospect for Nintendo over the next few years aren't that great either compared to most S&P companies..

For the past 20 years, the average P/E for the S&P 500 has been closer to 25; and the relative growth prospects for Nintendo are better than average.

Nintendo have zero presence in the new casual gaming markets, be it facebook or smart phone gaming.

Their only markets are home console and portable consoles.

Seeing the success they had in those markets this gen I have a hard time seeing how you can see growth for them in those markets ( market which by themselves are not really growing much). The only way Nintendo could have some growth there would be if they increased their market share compared to this gen and I have a hard time projecting the 3DS achieving a market share of over 70% or the Wii U having a market share of over 50%...

So where exactly are those prospects for growth ?

And if you really want to invest in stocks there are plenty stocks which are a lot safer now and have much better growth prospect. ( Google for example is quite a safe bet and the stock has decent growth perspective with the recent pullback..)

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Ail said:
HappySqurriel said:
Ail said:
HappySqurriel said:
As a general rule, most investors make very bad decisions ... It isn't that unusual to watch investors sell their stock which has already been over-sold to buy into a stock that is over-bought; and I think this has been impacting Nintendo's stock for quite some time.

When Nintendo surprised people and had a break out success with both the Wii and DS people rushed to buy Nintendo and the stock price was soon worth far more than was justified; and now that Nintendo's share price has fallen, people are selling driving the price far below what is justified.

The current P/E is around 24 I would hardly think that it qualifies as being under priced....

Especially as the average P/E for S&P 500 members for example is 14...( I know Nintendo isn't a S&P member).

The growth prospect for Nintendo over the next few years aren't that great either compared to most S&P companies..

For the past 20 years, the average P/E for the S&P 500 has been closer to 25; and the relative growth prospects for Nintendo are better than average.

Nintendo have zero presence in the new casual gaming markets, be it facebook or smart phone gaming.

Their only markets are home console and portable consoles.

Seeing the success they had in those markets this gen I have a hard time seeing how you can see growth for them in those markets ( market which by themselves are not really growing much). The only way Nintendo could have some growth there would be if they increased their market share compared to this gen and I have a hard time projecting the 3DS achieving a market share of over 70% or the Wii U having a market share of over 50%...

So where exactly are those prospects for growth ?

And if you really want to invest in stocks there are plenty stocks which are a lot safer now and have much better growth prospect. ( Google for example is quite a safe bet and the stock has decent growth perspective with the recent pullback..)

Did you know there are people in this world who are not in North America?

There are these interesting countries called "China" and "India" which have over 2 Billion people combined, and a rapidly growing middle class which is now starting to have the resources on a wide scale to buy computer hardware to play videogames and there is no (real) strong competitors in this market.

KylieDog said:
This is what happens when you reveal a new console and then only show a video of Wii Sports and Wii Fit actually being played on it.

They revealed the Wii simply by showing the system (not even the controller), and followed that up months later by showing a concept video of people using the controller without any games ...

Or to put it another way, how many console reveals have had anything to play (even tech demos) or had videos of confirmed games that will be released at or near launch? How many when the system has (probably) a year or more before it is released?

well, if byer demand falls, it's normal for stock ot fall as well

when the demand will rise for 3DS, stock will rise, too

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Erik Aston said:
Mr Khan said:

Right. Them hitting #2 in Japanese market capitalization had to be based on something, given that they were surpassing companies far larger and in far more vital industries

It couldn't last

They became the #2 largest Japanese company because it was believed they would continue to make the same types of products.

If you invested in a company because their hit FPS was going to sell 20 million copies, would you be pretty pissed off if 4 years later, the only follow up to the game was a single map pack? That's how people feel who invested in Nintendo because of Wii Fit, which has had no follow up except Wii Fit Plus after 4 years. Go down the line... Brain Age, NSMB, Wii Sports... When it looked like these games were the future, the stock price soared. When it became clear that Nintendo doesn't care about these games, the price plummeted.

This is not LOL INVESTORS ARE DUMB.

Nintendo knows that too, they are not dumbs either, market saturation says hi, nintendo could probably have done wiifit3,4 & 5 but none of them were going to do the numbers of the original wiifit, and the same goes for most of their games... That´s probably the other reason why smash was still at $45- $49, mario kart was a $49, NSMB $49, they sell a lot over the time... Investors are not dumb either, the market is just  reacting to the new consoles, 3ds is doing ok, the software lineup for this hollyday is stellar and it´ll take it to the roof of the charts with no problem, the wiiU is nintendo's new bet, and besides all the bad comments it has a great future ahead of it, as big as the wii? maybe, maybe not, nobody knows...

for some additional reading, this is a little old, (but still) if you want to know who "owns" nintendo this could be interesting...

http://seekingalpha.com/article/43310-who-is-buying-nintendo-stock

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064