By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - New 360 to be announced at E3 2012 with Timesplitters 4 - Crytek

I think people are hanging on too much to what that MS guy said. If you think about it, MS wouldn`t spend an entire trilogy on Xbox 360. The first trilogy spanned two consoles and now MS would spend one trilogy on a single console? That would take at least 6 years to happen, By then Nintendo and Sony would already be on their next-next-generation consoles.

The most reasonable thing seems to be, in my opinion, that MS will release this game in 2012 and the other one, at least in 2014, where i believe MS`s next console will be celebrating it`s second calendar year with Halo 5 - as i believe they will release a new console in 2013.

About the topic, yeah, an announcment in E3 2012 is very likely to happen with a release in 2013. That would have given Xbox 360 8 years of life. Pretty good if you ask me!

Around the Network
pezus said:
Play4Fun said:
pezus said:
Hyruken said:
Lyrikalstylez said:

Plus if the new console comes out in 2012, I believe Halo4 will be releasing out on it......
I mean why would Ms put its heavy hitter on a dying console?

Exactly.

Plus when they announced it they said it was part of a new trilogy. All the showed from Halo 4 was a cut scene with the words "Holiday 2012".

If it is a new trilogy why start it with one on the old format? If your new one is then released in 2013 it will cut the sales of the game bigtime as people upgrade to the new generation.

I am calling it now Halo 4 will be a launch title for the new console. From a selling point of view it makes a huge amount of sense. It will gurantee you a lot of console sales due to the fanbase of the game.

If they don't do that then i would be surprised because why release it on a console that in a matter of months you will be replacing?

They said it was a new trilogy for the Xbox 360. So 3 Halo games left for 360

No.

Saying it's a trilogy doesn't mean all 3 will be on the 360.

They can just release the first on 360 and the other two on the 720 (or whatever it will be called).

"...and the dawn of a new trilogy for xbox 360". That's what Don Matrick said

No, put a couple of commas in there and it doesn't necessarily mean what you think it means:

"I'd like share a project I'm really excited about, and the dawn of a new trilogy, for Xbox 360."  You can easily interpret that as "I'd like share a project I'm really excited about for Xbox 360 which is also the dawn of a new trilogy."

There is no way they do 3 new Halos on the 360. 

People keep forgetting the ending of the original Xbox was unusual circumstances, there is no reason this gen that they won't keep selling the 360 just like Sony still sells the PS2.  My bet is Halo 4 will be launching on both the 360 and next Xbox.  That would be the smartest move for Microsoft as it would instantly display the power differences between the 2 consoles and yet if people didn't want to upgrade they could still buy it on the 360.  It's a win/win for Microsoft.

daroamer said:
pezus said:
Play4Fun said:
pezus said:
Hyruken said:
Lyrikalstylez said:

Plus if the new console comes out in 2012, I believe Halo4 will be releasing out on it......
I mean why would Ms put its heavy hitter on a dying console?

Exactly.

Plus when they announced it they said it was part of a new trilogy. All the showed from Halo 4 was a cut scene with the words "Holiday 2012".

If it is a new trilogy why start it with one on the old format? If your new one is then released in 2013 it will cut the sales of the game bigtime as people upgrade to the new generation.

I am calling it now Halo 4 will be a launch title for the new console. From a selling point of view it makes a huge amount of sense. It will gurantee you a lot of console sales due to the fanbase of the game.

If they don't do that then i would be surprised because why release it on a console that in a matter of months you will be replacing?

They said it was a new trilogy for the Xbox 360. So 3 Halo games left for 360

No.

Saying it's a trilogy doesn't mean all 3 will be on the 360.

They can just release the first on 360 and the other two on the 720 (or whatever it will be called).

"...and the dawn of a new trilogy for xbox 360". That's what Don Matrick said

No, put a couple of commas in there and it doesn't necessarily mean what you think it means:

"I'd like share a project I'm really excited about, and the dawn of a new trilogy, for Xbox 360."  You can easily interpret that as "I'd like share a project I'm really excited about for Xbox 360 which is also the dawn of a new trilogy."

People keep forgetting the ending of the original Xbox was unusual circumstances, there is no reason this gen that they won't keep selling the 360 just like Sony still sells the PS2.  My bet is Halo 4 will be launching on both the 360 and next Xbox.  That would be the smartest move for Microsoft as it would instantly display the power differences between the 2 consoles and yet if people didn't want to upgrade they could still buy it on the 360.  It's a win/win for Microsoft.

I agree on the principle.... but it will depends if they actually release the same year they show the new console..... I have my reserve on that..... like you said last XB and 360 case scenario are particular.... and they had so many issues with hardware.... I'm not sure they can do it without taking a risk again... and they might want better hardware at a lower price tag too... depends on the specs and what they wanna do... and how long they hope next gen to last....

daroamer said:

You are right abou the first points but, in my opinion, MS would be better served if they release Halo 4 on the new console. Although i believe that it will just come out on the 360, i`ll explain: can you imagine how many would buy the console just to play a new Halo? I mean, the game that starts a new trilogy! Heck, i`d buy it just to play that game - Halo 3 made me a fan of the franchise! :D Fans would rush to buy the console just for that game alone!

Of course, Xbox 360 would suffer for a while but MS would gain more with that move.

John Carmack thinks the new 360 will be x10 more powerful then the current one

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-16-next-xbox-ps4-will-be-10x-as-powerful

Interesting read. He thinks the next gen will last at least a decade as it is becoming harder and harder to make graphics better then the level they are already at.

Around the Network

I mean if they are working on a game for the nextbox and it is suppose to be with directX 11.... it has to be a pretty damn good video card... and if they want a lifecycle of 10 years they better have a monster....

I think he could be right... and people should not forget that they could sell it for a lower price than it cost them like they did with the XB.... we'll see but I still don't believe in a 2012 release even if it is displayed at E3 no way they are ready... especially since everybody is going to try to see if the hardware is flowed at launch..... I'm sure they won't launch until they have a batch of consoles that has been turned on a full year day and night lol

debunked, move along, people:

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/17/crytek-denies-it-has-new-xbox-hardware/

Aiddon said:
Metallicube said:

They could still have Kinect support with their new console though (which I'm sure they will).I feel like MS would want to one up Nintendo now that they've put the cards on the table with their new console. Plus, I'm sure they wouldn't mind getting another head start on Sony, as it's single handedly the reason Xbox 360 is currently ahead of the PS3 in lifetime sales.

I think 2013 for the new Xbox, and late 2013/early 2014 for PS4.

No doubt about Kinect being compatbile, but I would think that they wouldn't just have Kinect they'd have Kinect 2.0 and have it ship WITH The console. Once again, price would go up on top of the expenses incurred from new tech in order to beat out the Wii U's (rumored) GPU. More than likely a loss would be incurred and I doubt Sony and MS would want to incur losses again after they only started making money off the 360 and PS3 relatively recently. Plus I doubt people would wanna pay $400-$450 with the current economic climate and if they wanted a system they'd just ignore Sony and MS' offerings for Nintendo's far cheaper solution. Like I said, most of this thread comes off as people being (bafflingly) impatient for the next gen despite the fact that the 360 and PS3 have yet to hit their ceiling. At the (very, very, VERY) earliest we'll see a 2014 release, but realistically I don't see new console until 2015-2016

By this logic, could we correctly assume that the new equisbox (you heard it here first, gentlemen) will be fully backwards compatible? As in no more periodic, half-assed emulator software updates to run only a handfull of X360 games. I sincerely hope so!

Hyruken said:
John Carmack thinks the new 360 will be x10 more powerful then the current one

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-16-next-xbox-ps4-will-be-10x-as-powerful

Interesting read. He thinks the next gen will last at least a decade as it is becoming harder and harder to make graphics better then the level they are already at.

If John Carmack calls it like that, it must be the truth. Shunned all who dare doubt his infallible nerdy wisdom.

Aiddon said:
debunked, move along, people:

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/17/crytek-denies-it-has-new-xbox-hardware/

It was too good to be true.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.