By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - New 360 to be announced at E3 2012 with Timesplitters 4 - Crytek

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-14-new-xbox-will-be-at-e3-2012-report

The Xbox 360's successor will likely debut at E3 2012, with Timesplitters 4 among the titles in development for the new machine, according to a new report.

A "high-ranking" source within developer Crytek let the news slip to VideoGamer. Although the insider didn't confirm system specs, they revealed that the Crysis studio is using DirectX 11 in development.

The source expects Microsoft to unveil and subsequently launch its new machine ahead of Sony, though the studio is also investing resources in PlayStation 4 development.

Crytek is hoping that Timesplitters 4 will be seen as an early visual benchmark for the platform.

First announced by developer Free Radical back in 2007, the FPS sequel was thought to be dead and buried when the studio went into administration in 2009. However, Crytek, who bought up what was left of the Nottingham-based outfit, has seemingly resuscitated the game.

Built using CryEngine 3, it'll apparently focus on branching paths, exploration and sandbox gameplay.

Both Microsoft and Crytek have declined to comment on the story."

As i and a few others said the most likely reason MS did not announce anything game wise at this E3 was because the new one would be 12 months or so away. They have probably started concentrating on that now rather then make new 360 games. It would not surprise me at all to see Halo 4 actually turn out to be on the new 360.

Around the Network

I don't see this being true. Microsoft needs Kinect to simmer a little longer before going on to the next console. Plus I still haven't seen any games that convince me that the hardware is hitting its ceiling

Aiddon said:
I don't see this being true. Microsoft needs Kinect to simmer a little longer before going on to the next console. Plus I still haven't seen any games that convince me that the hardware is hitting its ceiling

Very simple solution. Make the new Xbox fully Kinect compatible from launch. And with updated USB data buses and other minor changes, the same exact Kinect unit could actually be a lot more powerful on the new Xbox for it's own set of next gen Kinect games.

Then maybe a year or two after the new Xbox has been on market they can release Kinect 2.0 or add other features to enhance the experience.

Aiddon said:

There have been some rumblings for sometime. With Nintendo being the first to actually show what they got it will spark Microsoft and Sony into gearing up for the next gen. Have to remember the 360 came out in 2005. If it launches in november 2012 that will be 7 years on the market for the 360. In terms of generations that is pretty long. Especially when you consider the first xbox came out november 2001 and was discontinued in US in 2005. So in that sense the 360 would have almost doubled the life of the previous one.

If you then also think about how long it actually takes to make a game, even a shitty game we are talking about a year and a half to two years. As the Crytek guy revealed they are already working on Timesplitters 4 for the next 360. He is one of the main guys and it was from an interview with videogamer so it is legit. He also say's they are investing in the PS4. So if these games take 2 years to make then a lot of them will already be at around 4months-6 months development.

Meaning by the time we get to E3 2012 they will be 18 months in development. Which would put a release of november 2012 for the new 360 looking very likely.

I think as we get towards the holidays we will see the 360 get a price cut. This will be the last holiday that the 360 is pushed in my opinion.

The one thing i think we can all bet on for the following gen is that Kinect will be compatible. I can't see MS dropping that at all.

nightsurge said:
Aiddon said:

Very simple solution. Make the new Xbox fully Kinect compatible from launch. And with updated USB data buses and other minor changes, the same exact Kinect unit could actually be a lot more powerful on the new Xbox for it's own set of next gen Kinect games.

Then maybe a year or two after the new Xbox has been on market they can release Kinect 2.0 or add other features to enhance the experience.

I would rather they release kinect 2.0 along side the next box. I dont like the splintered base and they pack it in from the begining for next gen. the wii U has got me excited for next gen and now I cant wait to see what sony/MS offer

Around the Network

about time i lost interest in this generation for about half year with me rarely gaming or not at all from jan to june. alan wake and battlefield BC2 is the only stuff that is keeping me alive till fall. this fall is going to be pretty sweet

hmm isn't ME3 for 2012.... I doubt they'll release the same year they announce the console... probably in 2013.... and they won't drop 360 right away..... it's gonna be MS PS2 I think.... especially with kinect....
I agree they should have a kinect 2.0 packed in from the begining if they keep or change the tech for next gen.... just so everybody has it... and specs are in line with the gen....

elticker said:
about time i lost interest in this generation for about half year with me rarely gaming or not at all from jan to june. alan wake and battlefield BC2 is the only stuff that is keeping me alive till fall. this fall is going to be pretty sweet

Really? Im fine playing infamous 2 and all mad psn games. Plus all the games coming out later this year xD, better savce 500$ lol

OT: That sounds about right. But timesplitters? eh, im thinking they need to announce a plethera of new ip

I just hope this console has blu-ray because I wanna sell off my old consoles before the new ones come out and Im gonna need a blu-ray player to play my movies! Timesplitters 4 is a great launch game.

Plus if the new console comes out in 2012, I believe Halo4 will be releasing out on it......
I mean why would Ms put its heavy hitter on a dying console?

halo 4 is confirmed on 360.....