By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So Duke Nukem forever ends up being a big dissapointment?

I didn't expected the game to be great but thought it would atleast be decent so I wanted to check out some reviews before I would buy it tomorow;.

And then I saw this..

Video gamezone   77 
Eurogamer italy  70
Gamer.nl  70
Gamesreactor Denmark 70
Gamereacter Sweden 50
Ausgamers 50
Joystiq 40
Guardian 40

Metacritc 55  

Yeah I am surprised...Anyone who got the game?

Around the Network

its only natural... this games were to high... 10 years to high of xxpectations, there was no chance it would reach any of them. To be honest it doesn't deserve any better than whats it getting now.

The game plays like it an old school shooter and for that they rate it low.

For all you know it could end up being awesome. Just ignore the scores.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Whiny bitch new generation gamers don't want to play a Doom Styled game in 2011?

"Defeating a sandwich, only makes it tastier." - Virginia

Euphoria14 said:

When I posted this I sended one of my XBL friends what his opinion is about the game.  I and him played a lot of Doom/wolfenstein and Duke Nukem 3D on xbox live multiplayer we are fans of old shooters and his message is...'I am going to trade it tomorrow'.  

Around the Network
Lostplanet22 said:
Euphoria14 said:

When I posted this I sended one of my XBL friends what his opinion is about the game.  I and him played a lot of Doom/wolfenstein and Duke Nukem 3D on xbox live multiplayer we are fans of old shooters and his message is...'I am going to trade it tomorrow'.  

I want to play it even more now. 

Maybe it really is that bad.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

well... i'm still excited to play it.

The fun thing about this. Is it doesn't have to be good for me to enjoy. Hell the worse thing for it to be would to be bland. The trailers looked like gigantic weird unpolished mess. And that's what I'm hoping for.

I get to figure what they were doing for 12 years.

From what little I've played it's very old school and shamelessly over the top. Doesn't do anything especially new, not a huge number of enemies on screen and graphics are average at best. However, it's still good fun so far and it's nice to play a shooter that isn't trying to rip off Call of Duty and Halo.

Scoobes said:
From what little I've played it's very old school and shamelessly over the top. Doesn't do anything especially new, not a huge number of enemies on screen and graphics are average at best. However, it's still good fun so far and it's nice to play a shooter that isn't trying to rip off Call of Duty and Halo.

I guess I'll buy it, maybe it's not the Duke at its best, but being so over the top should give it at least some flavour of him and old school formulas are nowadays a lot less tired than new ones (thank you Skrotick, thank you SO much).

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

I will end up buying it, but as always with games (or any entertainment property) that takes this long to finish. Its generally indicative of huge underlying problems with the project. I'll just be happy to have an over the top old school shooter, I gave up on expecting this to change the world over a decade ago.