By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - My theory indicates that the FFXII team are making FFXV and it will be out in 2014.

Tagged games:

Are the FFXII team currently making FFXV?

Yes. 23 60.53%

No. 15 39.47%

Total:38
Strife91 said:
Galvanizer said:
Strife91 said:
Wait? WHAT!!??? Rabanastre in Unreal Engine???? SHOW ME!

I really want to see this too.

The only thing we have to go by is this first hand account from a guy who attended the seminar where the video was shown. I e-mailed him back in 2010 for more details and he said that it was a video of Rabanastre running on Unreal Engine 3 and with the crowd simulation and AI from Assassin's Creed.

Oh my god. That's sounds like a dream. I would love to see Ivalice in HD. I'm still wondering what happend to the Final Fantasy-project Grin were working on before they wen't out of bussiness.

The project has been canceled. but i dont think they are yet done with the Ivalice Alliance, so i think the concept for the game will eventually make its way into a new game. so whatever story and gameplay ideas they had could be used again.

Around the Network
Strife91 said:
Galvanizer said:
Strife91 said:

The only thing we have to go by is this first hand account from a guy who attended the seminar where the video was shown. I e-mailed him back in 2010 for more details and he said that it was a video of Rabanastre running on Unreal Engine 3 and with the crowd simulation and AI from Assassin's Creed.

Oh my god. That's sounds like a dream. I would love to see Ivalice in HD. I'm still wondering what happend to the Final Fantasy-project Grin were working on before they wen't out of bussiness.

Yeah, as I said. I'm sure there will be a HD Ivalice game this gen otherwise they wouldn't be testing Rabanastre on Unreal Engine 3 with the crowds of Assassin's Creed. The team that made The Last Remnant have experience with Unreal Engine 3 so I'm sure they'll be the ones to make the HD Ivalice game.

The Ivalice game by GRIN has been cancelled. However, hopefully we'll still get at least one HD Ivalice game this gen.

Galvanizer said:
Strife91 said:
Galvanizer said:
Strife91 said:

Yeah, as I said. I'm sure there will be a HD Ivalice game this gen otherwise they wouldn't be testing Rabanastre on Unreal Engine 3 with the crowds of Assassin's Creed. The team that made The Last Remnant have experience with Unreal Engine 3 so I'm sure they'll be the ones to make the HD Ivalice game.

The Ivalice game by GRIN has been cancelled. However, hopefully we'll still get at least one HD Ivalice game this gen.

I don't think the HD Ivalice test is any indication that there will be anything Ivalice related coming out of it.  If we'd apply your logic, then we should have had a polygonal version of FF VI back during the PSX era, a fully polygonal version of FF VIII on PS2, and we should be getting a remake of FF VII on the PS3 any time now.

I don't think you should get your hopes up for an Ivalice game this gen, and especially not based on that "Rabanastre test".  For all we know, this is nothing more than the team testing the Unreal technology, the same way they tested the tech available to them with the other era's tech demos.

Now, I would like to be wrong about all this, as FF XII is on my FF series top 3 (right behind VI and IX), but I don't think you should build expectations based on those tech tests they did with Rabanastre.  Sure, the team is up to something, but I see it more as them using already existing designs to test the tech and nothing else.  By re-using already existing designs, they cut on artists expenses, and can get to work right away. 

I do hope that the team will get a shot at an other FF game though, but if they do, I hope Matsuno will stick to the project till the very end.  FF XII suffered a lot because of his illness, and the end result was a product with outstanding gameplay (thank you Ito) but with a story that didn'tfully live to its potential, even if it was still good.

Hynad said:
Galvanizer said:
Strife91 said:
Galvanizer said:
Strife91 said:

I don't think the HD Ivalice test is any indication that there will be anything Ivalice related coming out of it.  If we'd apply your logic, then we should have had a polygonal version of FF VI back during the PSX era, a fully polygonal version of FF VIII on PS2, and we should be getting a remake of FF VII on the PS3 any time now.

I don't think you should get your hopes up for an Ivalice game this gen, and especially not based on that "Rabanastre test".  For all we know, this is nothing more than the team testing the Unreal technology, the same way they tested the tech available to them with the other era's tech demos.

Now, I would like to be wrong about all this, as FF XII is on my FF series top 3 (right behind VI and IX), but I don't think you should build expectations based on those tech tests they did with Rabanastre.  Sure, the team is up to something, but I see it more as them using already existing designs to test the tech and nothing else.  By re-using already existing designs, they cut on artists expenses, and can get to work right away. 

I do hope that the team will get a shot at an other FF game though, but if they do, I hope Matsuno will stick to the project till the very end.  FF XII suffered a lot because of his illness, and the end result was a product with outstanding gameplay (thank you Ito) but with a story that didn'tfully live to its potential, even if it was still good.

Well said.

I agree with all of it. At least we can be hopeful that the team that made The Last Remnant are making another HD game. If that game will be using the Unreal Engine 3 or set in Ivalice is another matter. The main thing we need to be hopeful is that there's another internal SQEX team besideas the XIII-2 team, Versus XIII team, and XIV Online team that's making a HD game for release this gen.

Hynad said:

Like I said, I don't think the FFT team (especially Matsuno) will ever touch the FF series again; it was just full of too much bull**** that was ultimately not worth it. If anything they're better off finishing the Ogre Battle Saga and sticking to smaller projects so they don't have to deal with one half of the team throwing hissy fits over direction and are free of executive meddling. With Square being in financial straits after the disaster of FFXIV I only expect the meddling to get worse with any FF project from here on out.

Around the Network
Aiddon said:

Like I said, I don't think the FFT team (especially Matsuno) will ever touch the FF series again; it was just full of too much bull**** that was ultimately not worth it. If anything they're better off finishing the Ogre Battle Saga and sticking to smaller projects so they don't have to deal with one half of the team throwing hissy fits over direction and are free of executive meddling. With Square being in financial straits after the disaster of FFXIV I only expect the meddling to get worse with any FF project from here on out.

Theres two different ideas here imo. firstly we are saying Sqaure will take a more controlled approach to the FF series to prevent projects like FF12 and FF13 from turning into financial disasters. and FF12 was a financial meltdown, its said to have cost more than FF13. so from a development aspect we can see they will defintly do this. the development time and rate of return simply do not justify projects on this scale.

however in terms of creative freedom we can see that FF13 was heavily criticised both by Japanese and western fanbases. so your suggesting Sqaure will enforce its developers with creative restrictions to ensure their projects (especially the FF series) are well recieved. - maybe...

when we look at it this way we can see Japanese publishers taking risks. like we can see with the DmC reboot or Caslevania Lords of Shadows, Konami and Capcom are willing to take a critical risk to ensure their projects are improved or refined for a global auidence (i'm not saying one is better than the other here).

so in this case Matsuno and the FF Tactics team would be the obvious choice, since FF12 was recieved a very good critical reception, as have all the games they have made. and there have been some fans saying they would like another game like FF12, while others just want a FF7 remake. and it turns out had they had listened to Matsuno and team the game would have been recieved much better than it was.

for example Vaan was heavily criticised, while Basch would have been an instant hit here in the west. the point is i think if Sqaure does listen to its fans and is willing to take risks like other big Japanese publishers then the obvious choice is the team who were already in the process of meeting the creative demands made by the global auidence. and Square Enix's strategy is the global audience as stated by Wada on multiple occassians

Hynad said:
Galvanizer said:

OK, I've just had a realisation, the tech demo videos you mention were each shown before the console they were for had been released. Minagawa showing a video of Rabanastre on Unreal Engine 3 happened way after this gen had started, which means it's leading to a project for release this gen, IMO.

Master Galvanizer, you have fought gallantly. Worthy of recognition in the archives of the Jedi Order. Now... it is finished.

Matsuno has left SE, he will not lead FFXV, leaving it to Ito.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:
Master Galvanizer, you have fought gallantly. Worthy of recognition in the archives of the Jedi Order. Now... it is finished.

Matsuno has left SE, he will not lead FFXV, leaving it to Ito.

You mean Ito and Minagawa.

The game can still be in Ivalice, though. FFXII: Revenant Wings and FFTA2 did not have Matsuno work on them at all and they were still in Ivalice.

Some interesting new speculation:

http://www.ffxvhome.com/forums/showthread.php?82-FFXIV-Producer-Director-possibly-hinting-at-FFXV-development-staff