By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is it too late for the ps3 to beat 360! (or Wii)?

I would say that it is too late for the Playstation 3 to catch up to the Wii, but it has a good chance against the Xbox 360. Price cuts, and better games, will pave the way...

Around the Network

I think the PS3 will catch the 360 its only a matter of time given the strength of the brand name and line up. The Wii is really depends on factors that no one can really predict right now. How long will they keep the system alive, future games, and when will the popularity nintendo is enjoying fade. I don't think its just going to drop to nothing like the Wii is a fad, but frankly I highly doubt the sales will remain as high as they have been. When the sales do finally settle down to normal console levels we can see if the gap is going to be just to high to catch or not. If I had to guess I would say by the time this gen ends PS3 and 360 will hold close to even market share with the Wii holding just a bit higher. so like 30%,30%, 40%

PSN ID: WAR_MACHINE77  Wii friend code: 7186 4304 6064 5134 Gamertag: WARMACHINE mk2

VGCHARTZ PRESENTS:

BI-WEEKLY LEAGUE
Post here to play with fellow VGC members in WarHawk! -> http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=21937

To answer the question of can the PS3 catch up to the other guys I think a history lesson is in order.
The PS1 and Saturn were in a neck and neck battle with the Saturn slightly ahead,along comes FFVII and they blow everybody away.

The PS2 is released a year after the Dreamcast with very few good games,yet it was the "furby" of Christmas 2000. Sony took direct aim at Sega by announcing the PS2 the day the DC launched,and in their very slick Adds lied about what the PS2 could do and threw pot shots Sega's way.
Just as the X-BOX and GCN launched the PS2 got GTA and announced another FF,which now you can't play on the slim lol.
I hate to say it but FF,MGS and the others will do it for the PS3,they may not catch the Wii,but they should blow the doors off of the 360. Too bad as they nearly killed Sega,and do not deserve any success due to their arrogance. Lik Sang anybody.

Dreamcast-18 years later "It's Still Thinking"

I agree with your history lesson amcdc79, but disagree with your application of past lessons to the current situation. The PS1 and PS2 (and PS2 slim) all owned Japan, however it is very clear that the Xbox 360 will need to claim any victories in Europe and the USA to beat the PS3. Due to the FF series diminishing appeal in the West, it will not play the dominant role it did in the previous two generations in these two continents

As for GTA, it is now being released day-and-date on a substantially cheaper Xbox 360, which will have EXTRA CONTENT. And finally to MGS4, its overall prestige and sales weight is nothing like what it used to be, especially in the West.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

I think the PS3 is in for a much bigger fight against the 360 than most people are expecting. I have a feeling that Microsoft is going to turn up the heat in Japan and Europe with console exclusives and price cuts.

Around the Network
Legend11 said:
I think the PS3 is in for a much bigger fight against the 360 than most people are expecting. I have a feeling that Microsoft is going to turn up the heat in Japan and Europe with console exclusives and price cuts.

QFT. I doubt that microsoft will just sit by and watch ps3 line-up get stronger. I am expecting a price cut since the last one was so small.

I expect a $179.99 X360.

mM

@OP No for both >_>

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

I wish I had the faith that fans of the PS3 have. I mean, to see your console in last place, finally outselling the 360 only barely, overhyped AAA games that come out hitting like a T-ball all-star - and 7M lead by the 360 - and folks are still confident the PS3 will win.

I guess that's using 'The Secret.' If I had that much faith as you all do in Sony, I'd be a multitrillionaire.

OT, this thread phails. I think there should a creating thread limit for newbz. They should be required to have 100 posts logged before they can create threads. That would cut down on some of this foolishness.

Soriku its way passed your bed time..

On topic:

Well thats al l I had to say :D

mM