By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: PSvita to be sold at profit at launch

This needs clearing up...

4 ≈ One

Around the Network

That's good news. I'm surprised they'll make money off of it at $250 with all the features it has (touch screen, track pad on the back, big OLED screen, etc.)

leo-j said:
a console with visuals almost on par with 360, a handheld that is, with 3G, and an OLED screen... and a multitouch screen.... and a touch pad, for just $299 is nuts, them not loosing money on that is even more nuts, wonder if they'll sell PS vita with contract at ATT for $99, or even free, would be a huge push to a completely different market, and would help them gain market share

On par? your playing on tiny srceen at a low resolution.

I would hope they had learned, good for them.

Play4Fun said:

What?! That's not what it says here:

Vita Sold at A loss

Conspiracy?

Around the Network

how about this:

the PSVita alone is sold at a loss, but with the expected ~1.5 games/Vita tie ratio at launch it doesn't lose money?

Quite a leap from what that guy said (who was he, anyways?).

Lafiel said:

how about this:

the PSVita alone is sold at a loss, but with the expected ~1.5 games/Vita tie ratio at launch it doesn't lose money?

I thought about it too. Pretty much what happened to the Gamecube when it launched and after it's mindless pricecut to $99 in 2003. No way it can cost much more to produce than, say, the iPad 2 ($325).

Rhonin the wizard said:

Kaz Hirai disagrees.

Sony has packed quite a bit of game into PlayStation Vita. And they're selling it for ¥24,980, the same price as the 3DS.

Not surprisingly, Sony will be incurring a loss on Vita sales. In an interview with Reuters, Sony consumer products head Kaz Hirai said that the company expects to begin making a profit on the hardware within three years.

Hirai also said that he hopes to make Vita sell more units than the PSP. Coinciding with the Vita name and price announcement at Sony's pre E3 press conference earlier today, Sony revealed that PSP has shipped 70 million units.

Reuters also reports that Sony Computer Entertaiment America president Jack Tretton said that while Vita will be released in Japan within the year, the release could come later in some other territories.

From Andriasang

This is much more credible. I believe this more, as it is more realistic, and in a professional manner from a higher ranking individual. 

Acevil said:
Rhonin the wizard said:

Kaz Hirai disagrees.

Sony has packed quite a bit of game into PlayStation Vita. And they're selling it for ¥24,980, the same price as the 3DS.

Not surprisingly, Sony will be incurring a loss on Vita sales. In an interview with Reuters, Sony consumer products head Kaz Hirai said that the company expects to begin making a profit on the hardware within three years.

Hirai also said that he hopes to make Vita sell more units than the PSP. Coinciding with the Vita name and price announcement at Sony's pre E3 press conference earlier today, Sony revealed that PSP has shipped 70 million units.

Reuters also reports that Sony Computer Entertaiment America president Jack Tretton said that while Vita will be released in Japan within the year, the release could come later in some other territories.

From Andriasang

This is much more credible. I believe this more, as it is more realistic, and in a professional manner from a higher ranking individual. 

So they expect to make a profit within 3 years, ouch. Looks like they havent learned after all.

Halo MCC will sell 5+ million copies(including digital)

halo 5 will sell 10 million copies(including digital)

x1 will pass ps4 in USA, and UK.