By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: PSvita to be sold at profit at launch

I believe it's just talk to calm investors. They can always revise that prediction later.

Around the Network

Who to believe, who to believe...?
With such impressive hardware (FFS, Golden Abyss looks BETTER than Drake's Fortune, and it isn't even a ND game!), I'm gonna go with Kaz and a loss.

further shows how the 3ds is such a ripoff.

silicon said:
Rhonin the wizard said:

Kaz Hirai disagrees.

Sony has packed quite a bit of game into PlayStation Vita. And they're selling it for ¥24,980, the same price as the 3DS.

Not surprisingly, Sony will be incurring a loss on Vita sales. In an interview with Reuters, Sony consumer products head Kaz Hirai said that the company expects to begin making a profit on the hardware within three years.

Hirai also said that he hopes to make Vita sell more units than the PSP. Coinciding with the Vita name and price announcement at Sony's pre E3 press conference earlier today, Sony revealed that PSP has shipped 70 million units.

Reuters also reports that Sony Computer Entertaiment America president Jack Tretton said that while Vita will be released in Japan within the year, the release could come later in some other territories.

From Andriasang

Hirai may have included R&D costs. The 3 years could actually just be the payback period.

Seemingly not. That is, unless the interviewers themselves misunderstood within context as by the "payback period" PS3 still hasn't:

"But despite the competition, Sony's Hirai said the aim is to make a profit on hardware sales of the new handheld PlayStation Vita in less than three years.

That contrasts with the PlayStation 3 home console, which analysts say initially cost the company hundreds of dollars per unit to sell and took years to make a profit after launching in 2006."

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

What?! That's not what it says here:

Vita Sold at A loss

Around the Network

I don't have the money, but I would gladly buy that wonderful handheld.
On topic, I don't buy they are making profit out of it.

Demotruk said:
silicon said:
Rhonin the wizard said:

Kaz Hirai disagrees.

Sony has packed quite a bit of game into PlayStation Vita. And they're selling it for ¥24,980, the same price as the 3DS.

Not surprisingly, Sony will be incurring a loss on Vita sales. In an interview with Reuters, Sony consumer products head Kaz Hirai said that the company expects to begin making a profit on the hardware within three years.

Hirai also said that he hopes to make Vita sell more units than the PSP. Coinciding with the Vita name and price announcement at Sony's pre E3 press conference earlier today, Sony revealed that PSP has shipped 70 million units.

Reuters also reports that Sony Computer Entertaiment America president Jack Tretton said that while Vita will be released in Japan within the year, the release could come later in some other territories.

From Andriasang

Hirai may have included R&D costs. The 3 years could actually just be the payback period.

Seemingly not. That is, unless the interviewers themselves misunderstood within context as by the "payback period" PS3 still hasn't:

"But despite the competition, Sony's Hirai said the aim is to make a profit on hardware sales of the new handheld PlayStation Vita in less than three years.

That contrasts with the PlayStation 3 home console, which analysts say initially cost the company hundreds of dollars per unit to sell and took years to make a profit after launching in 2006."

To me the time to "make a profit" sounds like a payback period. Especially if someone else at SONY said it's profitible day one. A lot of people have the PS3 loss on their minds and it's subtle.

If Hirai said the VITA would be profitable in 3 years then that's different.

And Haha yeah the PS3 payback period must be terrible.

I don't think he was totally referring to hardware alone, he seems to be talking globally, so this leads me to think its selling at a loss in America, and breaking even in Europe, that with software sales, means they are making a profit overall, well that's my guess anyway :P

Well... there is only one conclusion... the communication within Sony sucks balls...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

maybe the normal Vitas will be sell at profit and the 3Gs at a loss ^^